Journey of a Frost Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bssarkar
Developer

Re: Journey of a Frost Mage

Post by bssarkar »

Congratulations on completion! Let me answer one by one :
Refumee wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:04 am I had a bug, right after the ritual. I had 2 Erinnas afterwards and a lua error. Sadly I lost the Screenshot for hit, but maybe the that helps, that it was right after the ritual.
The second Erinna disappeared right after I savescummed, haha. Thats strange, anyway.
I'll investigate that.
Refumee wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:04 am Another thing is, Erinna moves her whole body, when she is attacking. Is that on purpose?
I don't understand. Is it the new animations? Supposed to be exactly the same as the normal red mage.
Refumee wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:04 am I fullfilled my promise :), but I am curious, when she learns frost magic. How many scenarios are in work?
Thanks! The nuisance is, I'm also a dev and a translator (add real life to that) and you understand why the updates are slow. I'm planning at least 15 scenarios, but might actually increase beyond that. (Because I never start with the end already in mind :lol: ) Maybe I'll make a part 2 with an older Erinna. Her story has just started, as you have noticed that she has yet to master frost magic. I'll try to proofread what's remaining of your campaign.
Refumee wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 10:04 am I hope I'll get the units from the other factions in my recall list.
Got it, will remember it for scenario 10. Why a Silver Mage though? You should have a couple magi from S6, but I'll see what I can do about it.

Will also fix the image bug with the faerie arrow.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

bssarkar wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 5:34 pm I don't understand. Is it the new animations? Supposed to be exactly the same as the normal red mage.
She moves her whole body into the direction of the attack. Like a normal meele unit. I though so, that it should look like a normal mage.
bssarkar wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 5:34 pm
Thanks! The nuisance is, I'm also a dev and a translator (add real life to that) and you understand why the updates are slow. I'm planning at least 15 scenarios, but might actually increase beyond that. (Because I never start with the end already in mind :lol: ) Maybe I'll make a part 2 with an older Erinna. Her story has just started, as you have noticed that she has yet to master frost magic. I'll try to proofread what's remaining of your campaign.
No worries. We all make this here for fun and not money. I'm looking forward to her first frost spell :)
A time skip would be appropriate for learning spells.

For my saurians not. They don't get old, haha.
bssarkar wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 5:34 pm Got it, will remember it for scenario 10. Why a Silver Mage though? You should have a couple magi from S6, but I'll see what I can do about it.
Because it is down in bottom corner. I'll send you the other replay. Here are the first 20 turns are the same. I run back with one silver mage.
And only the blue team got a village down there.
Attachments
JoaFM-Pursuit replay 20240402-211419.gz
(89.63 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

Hello

I'l re-doing your campain (in hard again)

Scenario 1) the objectif say that 40% of the gold will be keept. But i don't have a lord, and so when I capture a village I don't gain gold.
Also Erinna can step on deep water, is that attended ?
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Bravd wrote: May 25th, 2024, 9:59 am Scenario 1) the objectif say that 40% of the gold will be keept. But i don't have a lord, and so when I capture a village I don't gain gold.
Will fix it in the next release.
Also Erinna can step on deep water, is that attended ?
Yes, it is intended, since she is a Water based mage, so can float on water.
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

So, i did a few scenario. There was really nice part and some other that dosen't feel right (on hard). as of hard & biased RNG :

The attack :
it's an hard start since they got a lot of number. I did it twice (i change wesnoht version and I had to redo it). The human act as a meat shield until yout got an healer (and you are far in the forest). one or two village in the forest could help (in the south part of the human keep).

A long road :
That is a lot of shadows, but since they move faster than the skeletons, they aren't that dangerous.
The elvish dude north diden't do much. I killed the necromancer in turn 10 and then i need to reach the elvish keep and the scenario end (and also the other unit move toward it in a single turn). Having the dialogue without the mouvement seems to be less bothersome four you & I.

A very long road :
Finished it at turn 25. Maybe a time limit could do some good.
First bandit are really strong (and it's nice). troll are too far to make a difference. The drake show off at the middle of the map at turn 10. But at that time i was fighting over the bandit keep with trolls. This feel strange to have thes friend before me since I let them behind no so long ago. You could either have a trigger for when you reach a certain location. Or make the start surround by undead and you have to rush while being attacked by other to save them.
The undead leader is weak since you got a lot of fire drake. I diden't trigger the holy power from the tree and i diden"t struggle
The map is very long and maybe we could have some variation. Their could be a moutain path (a shortcut) but with the troll there. And the troll attack you if you trepass of refuse to pay for taxe. And another way around but that take more time. And also limit the number of turns
Change the layout for the undead leader, make him guard the end of the road. Is a random vilain as of it now.

Water of destiny :
Naga part is not hard since the IA will try to attack you from the coast. The first saved unit don't work.
There is a lot of orcs, but in the forst elvish people got the advantage there. It's well manageable.
Nage should have more swamp or a little stream to attack you.

Dark hours :
I diden't like this one.
Your water people will kill the undead south (their are outrunned in water and water based attack destroy them. And tafter that they are useless. Also the swamp from before disapeared.
South undead are few, east orcs clash with you and will die fast since they are no match in forest.
Irzina got the teleport ability, and that mean i can kill her really fast. Since she got a lot of damage, she will teleport to kill one warfodder of mine and then she is struck.
Also, a portal that create undead is not a bad idea. But this one is frustrating to beat. it's just a few grass & a pit. Maybe add some effect to make this something to fear ^^. Also just going in front of him seems a week way of dealing with it. There could be more place of power and weak him over time.
And also, having ghost that swapn and attack you in the same turn isen't good. And it worst since they are lvl 3 ghost that got 7 moves and aren't slowed by forest. It's not really fun to loose a unit because the RNG make a ghost appear, move fast and kill your unit who should be fare enough to not be it.
Lumen fighters & lvl 5 drake & portal mage are way too strong.

Eil-en-seiril :
Lorendor start poisoned (i don't know why). once again i don't see why i should move the unit at the start of the scenario. It break the pace.
Diden't finish it

scenario after : lorendor start with 2 hp & poison. Is that normal ?

For the scenario before eil-en-seiril, you could had more thing to the maps. The road scenario could be less straight. There could be more stream, old keep, choke point and so on.
The academy should be more than a normal water based creature keep. They could be living in some kind of flooded cavern. The swamp near the naga could be bigger or maybe a few saurians.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback and the map design suggestions. I have read them all. I will implement them in the next update, but it could be fairly delayed because I am busy in dev work.

Lorendor starting with low HP/poisoned is a bug, I probably forgot to heal him.
The Swamp disappearing in Dark Hour was mentioned by another playtester, will fix it.
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm Lumen fighters & lvl 5 drake & portal mage are way too strong.
this was also mentioned, will think on it. What about Lvl 2 Lumens and Lvl 3/4 Inferno/Armegeddon drake?
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm The first saved unit don't work.
That's bad. It is quite complicated to implement, so I might just remove that feature. Is it too hard to fight while protecting the Initiates?
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm Change the layout for the undead leader, make him guard the end of the road. Is a random vilain as of it now.
Well said.
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm I diden't trigger the holy power from the tree and i diden"t struggle
Hmm, addition of the drakes make the Holy power unnecessary, so again might be removed.
Bravd

Post by Bravd »

bssarkar wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 7:03 am Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback and the map design suggestions. I have read them all. I will implement them in the next update, but it could be fairly delayed because I am busy in dev work.

Lorendor starting with low HP/poisoned is a bug, I probably forgot to heal him.
The Swamp disappearing in Dark Hour was mentioned by another playtester, will fix it.
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm Lumen fighters & lvl 5 drake & portal mage are way too strong.
this was also mentioned, will think on it. What about Lvl 2 Lumens and Lvl 3/4 Inferno/Armegeddon drake?
Lvl 4 armageddon drake are balanced i think. As for the lumen, their got both good melee & ranged attack against undead. If you wish to make really strong unit, use ALMA system for this. Simply make them required a lot of xp. And if you want to make them valuable, make like the leader with ALMA. Lumen warrior could be some kind of blessed warrior at the start. They got a holy sword. And at lvl 2 and after they could use some magic. you could either give them holy but non-magical attack. magical attack, but damage output low. or big damage but one hit.
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm The first saved unit don't work.
That's bad. It is quite complicated to implement, so I might just remove that feature. Is it too hard to fight while protecting the Initiates?
[/quote]
It's not hard to protect them, so you could remove it.
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm Change the layout for the undead leader, make him guard the end of the road. Is a random vilain as of it now.
Well said.
Bravd wrote: June 1st, 2024, 6:43 pm I diden't trigger the holy power from the tree and i diden"t struggle
Hmm, addition of the drakes make the Holy power unnecessary, so again might be removed.
[/quote]
If you like the idea of an holy power, you could give the player 1 or 2 holy potion that make attack holy for the rest of the scenarios. Maybe an optional trial ^^