Map Bug - editor does not store data

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
sylph

Map Bug - editor does not store data

Post by sylph »

In order for a map to be complete, it seems that the map should have some non-terrain information. For example, starting gold. This data should be stored persistently. Why not have this data stored in the map file? It seems like "Landscape Tool" maybe clearer terminology then "Map Editor". It seems that the Landscape Tool creates a landscape file. The landscape file is combine with some wml to become a map. Tools that require coding to use shouldn't be shipped with a stable version of Wesnoth. For developers, the amount of coding necessary to make a map from a landscape may seem minimal. However, the vast majority of Wesnoth players do not know wml at all. I believe that the landscape tool is useful. However, it doesn't make sense to ship it with the stable version of Wesnoth.

If the landscape file is not considered a complete map, why have the landscape file separate from the .cfg file at all?

My intuition is that it would make sense to have the .cfg file override parameters in a map file.

What doesn't make sense to me is to require a strong standard for bugs for mainline campaigns and ship them with a buggy map editor.
If I spoke the truth, they would put me in a straitjacket. So, I left the society.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Map Bug - editor does not store data

Post by Pentarctagon »

Is this a bug or an idea? If it's a bug I'll move it over to Technical Support, but I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. What data is missing? What doesn't work? How would this be different from how it works now? could have sworn this was in Ideas...

Anyway, the basic point remains: more specific details are needed.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

sylph wrote:In order for a map to be complete, it seems that the map should have some non-terrain information. For example, starting gold. This data should be stored persistently. Why not have this data stored in the map file? It seems like "Landscape Tool" maybe clearer terminology then "Map Editor". It seems that the Landscape Tool creates a landscape file. The landscape file is combine with some wml to become a map. Tools that require coding to use shouldn't be shipped with a stable version of Wesnoth. For developers, the amount of coding necessary to make a map from a landscape may seem minimal. However, the vast majority of Wesnoth players do not know wml at all. I believe that the landscape tool is useful. However, it doesn't make sense to ship it with the stable version of Wesnoth.

If the landscape file is not considered a complete map, why have the landscape file separate from the .cfg file at all?

My intuition is that it would make sense to have the .cfg file override parameters in a map file.

What doesn't make sense to me is to require a strong standard for bugs for mainline campaigns and ship them with a buggy map editor.
The maps can be used without any coding at all. If there is a specific bug you've noticed or feature you wish for, it would be helpful to spell it out, but the editor is not flat-out "buggy" as you claim.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

What functionality you ask is already possible for 1.11+, map editor can create scenario files there. About naming of map/scenario/landscape I believe current way is clear enough, map is list of terrain codes and scenario defines what happens in game(including start gold). From landscape I would expect terrain like in To Lands Unknown, that is like
So far I havent seen anything like that in any other addon.

It is my personal view that "buggy map editor" might have stayed for this long also to improve standard of published scenarios.
sylph

Post by sylph »

Pentarctagon wrote:Anyway, the basic point remains: more specific details are needed.
I have not explained exactly which data is missing largely because I don't understand the data myself. A wml authority maybe able to explain that. There exists a .cfg file for canal dispute in a multiplayer map contest map pack for the add-on server for 1.11. I suspect that the information in that .cfg file contains data that should go in the map file.
doofus-01 wrote:If there is a specific bug you've noticed or feature you wish for, it would be helpful to spell it out,
I am trying to explain the bug with this thread. Basically, the map editor does not store some critical map data persistently.

Ravana wrote:What functionality you ask is already possible for 1.11+, map editor can create scenario files there.
That is not stated here or here. When was the ability to create a .cfg file added to the editor?

In any case, that is not the solution I am suggesting.

I was not trying to argue for a naming convention. I was trying to use terminology to illustrate the bug.
If I spoke the truth, they would put me in a straitjacket. So, I left the society.
Masterchief40k

Post by Masterchief40k »

NOTE: Scenario-specific content will not be saved unless you also select the File → Save Scenario option before exit. Otherwise, you will simply get a map file.
I dont know could trhat be it?
Well on second sight I didnt get the question Im gonna have a look at that cfg files you mentioned
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

sylph wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:Anyway, the basic point remains: more specific details are needed.
I have not explained exactly which data is missing largely because I don't understand the data myself. A wml authority maybe able to explain that. There exists a .cfg file for canal dispute in a multiplayer map contest map pack for the add-on server for 1.11. I suspect that the information in that .cfg file contains data that should go in the map file.
The decision to have the terrain data in one file and scenario logic in a separate file was intentional and is unlikely to change at this point.
sylph wrote:
Ravana wrote:What functionality you ask is already possible for 1.11+, map editor can create scenario files there.
That is not stated here or here. When was the ability to create a .cfg file added to the editor?

In any case, that is not the solution I am suggesting.

I was not trying to argue for a naming convention. I was trying to use terminology to illustrate the bug.
Actually, that was exactly what was stated in both threads and in the second one fabi explained how to link the scenario file to the map file.

Also, to clarify terminology:
The map file: contains terrain data and has the extension ".map"
The scenario file: contains non-terrain data such as unit placement and has the extension ".cfg"

The scenario file will only be created if you have the development branch of Wesnoth, aka 1.11.x
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
sylph

Post by sylph »

sylph wrote:My intuition is that it would make sense to have the .cfg file override parameters in a map file.
The term "override" makes it sound like the starting gold info for a particular side is being loaded from a file more then once. Actually, a better idea probably is to call a function at game instance startup that would load the starting gold. The function would load the gold amount from (the campaign file variable if it exists else, ) the scenario file variable if it exists, else the map file variable if it exists, and if all else fails then the function would default the starting gold to 100. Hence, only loading the data a single time even if the data is in multiple locations.

Should the terrain data be stored in the map file with non-terrain, wml, map data (such as starting gold)?