Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Wesnoth font project

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

When making the Wesnoth logo and trying to find a suitable font for it, it became apparent that GPL-compatible fonts are a scarce resource. Most "free" fonts out there are actually "free for non-commercial use" and commercial fonts are difficult to distribute to all the contributors, should the Wesnoth project buy some. That's why I started doing a font from scratch for the logo.

Wesnoth already has original codebase, art, music and other content, so why not original fonts as well? It solves all the licensing issues and makes it easier for the artists to modify them for their specific use. If there are different fonts for different races, cultures and time periods, they can be used to create the atmosphere and indicate what languages are spoken (just think of all WWII comics where the Nazis are speaking in Fraktura :P ).

I'm not trying to pretend that creating quality fonts is trivial, but it's a skill, and like any other skill, it can be learned. A very good way to learn is just start doing it and put the results out there for feedback and criticism.

I have two different sets already in the works. The first is based on the Carolingian minuscule, here is a sample with some glyph alternatives and several ligatures:
wesfont-carol.png
The benefit of the Carolingian is that while it has a medieval look, it's also very easy on the modern eye, so it can be used for longer texts and in small size. There are no capitals yet, the Carolingian doesn't really have any specified style for them. There could be several different sets of capitals (Roman, uncial, insular etc. types) divided into more ornate initial capitals and simpler, inline ones.

The other set is the one used in the logo, again with several alternates for some glyphs. This one is more of a Blackletter type, but I have tried to keep it as simple and readable as possible:
wesfont-blackl-2.png
There are also some capitals, but different types could also be used with this font:

Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
professor_max

Re: Wesnoth font project

Post by professor_max »

If you're doing founts, then you'll have to count me in :)
The only problem is that many languages use letters that we don't have in English. Also, you could have some unctials, which would look good.
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I've started on the ascii set, but the idea is to keep adding characters so that the font satisfies the translation needs.

I might try and give a shot at uncial at some point (they could be used as capitals for the Carolingian), but what I would see as completing the "human set" of fonts would be a chancery hand, with swashes and all, that could be used as the map font.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

This font looks great! But, by the way - what about using system fonts. Especially "Calibri" is a font that can be used both for online and print. Even though it has no medieval flaire, it is a great font to use for manuals and should support UTC-8.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Heindal wrote:This font looks great! But, by the way - what about using system fonts. Especially "Calibri" is a font that can be used both for online and print. Even though it has no medieval flaire, it is a great font to use for manuals and should support UTC-8.
System fonts are not consistent from system to system. For instance, there is no Calibri font on my computer. Also, I don't think Sgt. Groovy intended these fonts for a manual, but rather for in game text and images like maps.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Did you even read the topic? This is about developing an original font for use in Wesnoth, not about changing the fonts for everything. Besides that, Calibri is not a free GPL font, and this topic is about creating a new GPL font. Read before you post next time, please. :annoyed:

EDIT: ninja'd
I will now resume lurking silently.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

The drawback of creating an own gpl font is that it does not support unicode.
Thats what I was trying to say, well I will stop posting now, "thank" you ...
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

There's no reason why a self-created font couldn't support UTF-8 encoding, or any other. As for language coverage, I already said that I will start with the ASCII set, and extend from there as the translation needs require.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Some examples in words and sentences?
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

@Sgt. Groovy: any particular reason this isn’t in Art Contributions or Development? I know some of the relevant people don’t really pay attention to Workshop, if you are looking for advice or critique.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Probably because so far it has only been my own crazy idea, and not endorsed by any of the art devs. Feel free to move it, if you think it would be appropriate. :)
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Kess

Post by Kess »

Great to see someone working on fonts!

I became curious about how many characters in which scripts Wesnoth uses... In case anyone else is curious:
Result from crude script run on SVN source, don’t rely on this being correct:
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Typophile is a great place to go for critique and help, frequented by type professionals and fanatics. I highly recommend it.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer