Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by Kwandulin »

Mhh, right, something like unit variations would be an option. Unfortunately, most of the heroes already got (several) variations (mounted Nuvdael/Uthain, flying Azyan), so I'd need dozens of additional unit variations to adhere to updated descriptions, e.g.

standard nuvdael -> standard nuvdael with additional information
mounted nuvdael -> mounted nuvdael with additional information

I think that's too much work for little gain. I'll just be straightforward and add the final information to the current unit types. Nuvdael is the only one that suffers from that approach, anyway. Also makes it easier to maintain
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Since I'll be setting up a new machine soon, I thought I'd share the new update of OoA that I've been working on for some time now. Once again, the dialogue+typo changes prove to be very helpful!

Updated version 1.14

Short changelog:
  • a new hero
  • enemy forces now got more unique hero units
  • updated some portraits, improved some visual stuff
  • added/replaced 2 new scenarios
  • 3 new unique unit types
Full changelog (contains spoilers):
Spoiler:
Attachments
shadows.png
tharwya.png
eliteunits.png
eliteunits.png (12.17 KiB) Viewed 9462 times
Last edited by Kwandulin on October 7th, 2018, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

From the complete changelog that you posted, it seems like this is quite a significant update! I´ll do my usual play-trough in the future and then put my feedback here.
I´m glad my suggestions were useful in the end ;) .

EDIT: I think the "root of evil" scenario has a turn limit that is too low currently. This attempt was my most sucesseful one and i was still too much behind the gorgon. Since she has an head start in relation to the player´s units, has a better movement type and sends other units to slow her pursuers, i´m not seeing how it´s possible to eventually catch her.
Attachments
OA-Root_of_Evil_replay.gz
(59.43 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Disclaimer: I hope it´s ok to double post in this case, since it´s to give a general review of the new version of the campaign.

The most noticeable changes, namely the reworked/added scenarios and the inclusion of new antagonists, make the middle of the campaign more exciting and make some plot points feel more natural (namely the nature of the petrified statues and the incursion onto the undergrounds of Th'awrya).

I´ll move on into the notes that i took during my play-trough:

General notes:
Spoiler:
Peril
Spoiler:
A Whisper in the Sands:
Spoiler:
The Pearl of the Desert:
Spoiler:
Shadows of Isanbar:
Spoiler:
Gaze of the Three:
Spoiler:

Root of Evil:
Spoiler:
Cloud River:
Spoiler:
Eye of the Hurricane:
Spoiler:
Tharwya:
Spoiler:
Blackhands:
Spoiler:
Return to Tharwya:
Spoiler:
The Great Wall:
Spoiler:
Uzar the Betrayer:
Spoiler:
Above the stars and below earth:
Spoiler:
Battle of the Eons
Spoiler:
Like always, you continue to deliver an awesome campaign :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention, did you give up on the idea of the sequel? I´m asking because the updated version doesn´t contain that part anymore.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks again for the playthrough and notes and sorry for the late answer.

The Root of Evil scenario certainly suffers from the random placement of the petrified units. I had luck during my playthrough and could lock the gorgon with Au'la. The random placement isn*t the best idea, but Wesnoth 1.13 likes to crash when switching between the game and windows, which makes it a pain in the butt to do the placement by hand. I've increased the turn number for now. Also thanks for pointing out more bugs!

The sequel has no high priority right now as I'd first like to polish OoA and squash the last bugs. I am afraid I always introduce new bugs with every update, though . . . :lol:
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I would say that the increase in the number of turns is enough to make sure that running out of time isn´t an issue. In my case i took around 40 turns btw.
That´s the bane of development, there´s always something more to fix :P
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

The random placement isn*t the best idea, but Wesnoth 1.13 likes to crash when switching between the game and windows, which makes it a pain in the butt to do the placement by hand.
I know that Feeling... I always note the coordinates on a piece of Paper first. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Noilas

Post by Noilas »

I downloaded your campaign for the first time yesterday when you updated (4/4/2017).
After the 1º map (the dialog only), i've started the 2º map with an error (pic attached) but i finished normally.
The objective of the 3º map is to move Dawoud to the other side, but he wasn't loaded on the map. I've just realised this after reaching the objective with Iiriel and nothing happened, then I realised I must reach the point with Dawoud but he wasn't in the map.
Some files attached to you see.
Attachments
Where in the World Is Dawoud.rar
(231.31 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Are you using the 1.13.7 BfW version? While using the 1.13.6 version no errors happen, but after updating to the most recent version they do indeed come up.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yeah, I am pretty sure it has to do with the animation / healing animation code, which got changed for 1.13.7, but apparently led to several bugs. My other campaigns also suffer from this. This is not something I can fix, since it is an internal error of 1.13.7 Wesnoth. You'll have to use 1.13.6 in case you want to play OoA, it's tested and played through on 1.13.6, just as ahmannar already mentioned.

Sorry for the inconveniene.

Thanks for pointing it out, though.

Edit: Also note for self: never develop on development versions
zepko

Post by zepko »

Kwandulin wrote:Yeah, I am pretty sure it has to do with the animation / healing animation code, which got changed for 1.13.7, but apparently led to several bugs. My other campaigns also suffer from this. This is not something I can fix, since it is an internal error of 1.13.7 Wesnoth. You'll have to use 1.13.6 in case you want to play OoA, it's tested and played through on 1.13.6, just as ahmannar already mentioned.
Yeah, I think it is due to the bug I reported here. A quick fix is to just remove the translation mark. This breaks the translation, but not the game. I have recently finished OoA on 1.13.7 and something similar happens also in the 'Tharwya' scenario, where I had to remove a few lines of code around the liberation of the elvish bloodmaiden. The other scenarios worked fine.
Spoiler:
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign 1.13.6]

Post by Kwandulin »

Updated OoA to v.1.15. Made some strike gfx for many custom units/heroes, making it visually pleasant when your wyverns rip apart your foes, cleaned up many smaller bugs and irregularities and made a hero overhaul. Also a ton of more changes, mostly basing on ahmannar's feedback:

Full changelog:
Spoiler:
Known Bugs:
- Kesh's forces attack their own minotaurs in scenario 13. This behaviour is fixed in 1.13.7+dev
- Performance regression during AI turns, especially in lategame. This is fixed in 1.13.7+dev. In 1.13.6 you can just turn off "Allow damage calculation with Monte Carlo simulation" option in Advanced Options to avoid this.

- animations are bugged, making the campaign unplayable. This behaviour is fixed in 1.13.7+dev

Your best bet is to wait some time until 1.13.8 is released or just play on 1.13.6.
Last edited by Kwandulin on April 19th, 2017, 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whiskeyjack

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign 1.13.6]

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Kwandulin wrote:- Performance regression during AI turns, especially in lategame. This is fixed in 1.13.7+dev

Your best bet is to wait some time until 1.13.8 is released or play on 1.13.6 if your computer is fast.
Wasn't this problem avoidable in 1.13.6 by turning off the Advanced -> Allow damage calculation with Monte Carlo simulation option?
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Right, how could I forget that!
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I was replaying the campaign again and, even with the monte carlo option turned off, every turn was consistently needing around 30 seconds to end since the first visit to Th'arwya. It doesn't crash but continuing until the end on my pc would take a long time, so i'll give the feedback that i got until this point:

General Feedback:
Spoiler:
Suggestions of descriptions:
Spoiler:
Peril:
Spoiler:
A Whisper in the Sands:
Spoiler:
Gazes of the three:
Spoiler:
Root of evil:
Spoiler: