Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesband, MP dungeon-crawler (now for Wesnoth 1.9.14+ !)

Post by Ken_Oh »

Hey guys, since this gets bumped periodically, I just wanted to drop an official note on the state of Wesband. I'm not working on Wesband anymore, and I'm not planning to ever come back to it. I had an abundance of free time years ago, but that free time as almost all dried up to the point that it's been years since I've even cracked open Wesnoth. What time I do have for this kind of thing will go to programming my own stuff. I was honestly always an action gamer at heart, and my aim is to make strategy games for action gamers. My holy grail would be to create a procedurally-generated action RPG, one that a gamefaqs.com spoiler page couldn't help you play.

I have learned a ton about open source projects and related technologies from hanging around Wesnoth and working on projects like Wesband, to the point that I now work with Linux on a daily basis at home and at work. Working with Exasperation was especially great, as I could see how I sized up to someone with official training in software engineering. Plus, he had really good ideas and was generally awesome to collaborate with. I would also like to put a shout-out to zookeeper, who was always tirelessly helpful in getting me to understand how to use WML.

I don't have any contact with Exasperation, so it's possible that he has plans to update Wesband. I give anyone full blessing if they want to take up the project and take it in whatever direction they want (it's not like I could prevent you, since I don't "own" anything). Here are the notes and roadmaps for what my/our plans were.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

For anyone who is having problems running Wesband, all I can say it use the version of Wesnoth in which Exasperation last updated it on June 2012. PMs on the forum will also send an alert to my email, but I can't say I'll be much help.

Thanks everyone. It's been real fun!

Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Oh what a pity Ken_Oh. I've used to play it a while ago and the infinite dungeon impressed my so much, that I've created my own (6 now ^^). Maybe its a little bit late, but thank your for Wesband! It was a great campaign!
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Heindal, glad to hear I had some inspiration for your projects. Looking at your signature, I can see that you've been quite prolific! I should take a look at them sometime. I haven't even fired up Wesnoth in forever.

Whew, I just took a stroll through memory lane with my Wesnoth wiki and the planning pages for Wesband. So many great memories, yet so much left to do.

Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Cool :).

I can recomment the "places of interest" section in Strange Legacy's infinite and random dungeons (these are the 6 dungeons I'm talking about).
These random dungeons will spawn a place of interest on each dungeon level.

Be it a trader, trainer, underground cities, pirate treasures, rivers, monsternests, bosses, heroes, ressources, kidnapped persons and some more. These could be easily implented into Wesband and would make the dungeons less repetitive. I've also created random scattered images and treasures and doors (blocking objects).

I had to abandon the placing of random traps, as it is quite pointless, except you combine it with block elements.

Annother interesting thing would be the overlay concept to show the equipment of heroes and the spell concept.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Ah, when you said "6 now" before, I thought you were referring to the 6 add-ons listed after "Developer of" in your signature. I'll definitely check out Strange Legacy first then.

MCP

Post by MCP »

Thanks for the fun memories Ken_Oh. It was a good add on while it lasted.

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Oh man.....MCP. It's been a while.