Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cloud
Art Contributor

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Cloud »

Just ordered two of The Witcher books, really looking forward to getting stuck into them. Also got the first book of a trilogy I managed to buy the second book of (I mentioned it earlier in this topic - The Templar Knight). I'll have opinions on those as soon as I've got and finished them.

In other news, I've finished two new books - 'Fire' by Kristin Cashor and 'Storm Glass' by Maria V.Snyder. Both were pretty good reads, personally preferred Fire (which is in some ways a prequel to the book 'Graceling', but without being context dependant), for though it perhaps isn't the most detailed writing style, it does get very emotive at times. Storm Glass unfortunately felt like a lot of short stories merged together, leaving a slight disjointed feel, but despite that was still a pretty good read (it's also in first person which always seems difficult to do very well in the fantasy genre, or at least that's how I feel).
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Now reading: Crime and Punishment (the Pevear-Volokhonsky translation). It is fascinating!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Lyrax

Post by Lyrax »

English Fairy Tales, by Joseph Jacobs
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

dipseydoodle's pen and paper RPG and Elizabeth Duff's M. Phil Ancient Cultures assignemnts.

@ Lyrax, try the Irish Fairy Tales on Project Gutenberg
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Just finished Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.

Not my favorite by that author but defiantly not one of my least favorite either.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Velensk wrote:Just finished Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.

Not my favorite by that author but defiantly not one of my least favorite either.
As for Terry Pratchett: Actually I am reading a German book called "Unternehmen Tod" by Thomas Wiens, which on first sight is an utter rip-off on Pratchett's most famous character, Death... Thanks to this German guy and his bad style of writing I learned to appreciate any word that Pratchett wrote... :roll:
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Finished all three of Beans books in the Ender series. Reading Ender in Exile now. Starts where Enders Game left off for ender. And starts on earth right after the last of Bean's books.
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

I am re-reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich after someone removed my bookmark when i was halfway through :@
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's the most interesting nonfiction history book I've read, although that doesn't mean it's really gripping. Still, I recommend it if you want to learn a lot and don't care how long it takes.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If you like Jared Diamond, check out The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee. Fascinating.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Finished Wilt on High by Tom Sharpe.
:shock: :shock: :shock: That man is sick even by my standards, it wasn't quite as depraved as The Wilt Alternative, but did make me feel guilty for apreciating the humor and want to take a shower after reading it.

I'm busy reading Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks.
Can't decide wheter I like it or not yet. I liked his stories he didn't seem to take too seriously, they were fun but not that intelectually stimulating. This one seems slightly darker and also kind of more mature than the rest, mind you I haven't really read his knight of the word series which came before, apparently this links the two main strands of his writing.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Reginald_Barclay

Post by Reginald_Barclay »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:Finished Wilt on High by Tom Sharpe.
:shock: :shock: :shock: That man is sick even by my standards, it wasn't quite as depraved as The Wilt Alternative, but did make me feel guilty for apreciating the humor and want to take a shower after reading it.
How was that book in all? Now that you say this, those type of books interest me in a weird way. If you say it is good, I definitely think I'm going to check it out at the local bookstore.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Finished reading the Serpantwar Saga by Raymond E Feist (again), and am reading Elvenborn, by andre norton and mercades lackey. I read Elvenbane many times, but the others not so much ^_^

Also, reading a book about luther for a class of mine, as well as something about the rise of prussia
Last edited by Thrawn on November 29th, 2009, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Yesterday i started reading 1984, and finished reading The canterbury tales for school also for school i finished reading the Miracles of our lady(Gonzalo de Berceo).
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

I am actually reading my post count and am asking myself where about half of my post got to...?
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")