drawing tests, suggestions welcomed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vendanna

drawing tests, suggestions welcomed

Post by Vendanna »

First, need to say thank you for this nice game, its simple and the graphics are rather nice.

My first post here, I'm from Spain and I have been lurking for quite a while and since I probably will like to create my own units in a very far future project, I writed here in order to learn how to improve my first drawings in pixel art (tought using paint, be gentle)

I know they aren't the quality needed for wesnoth (they aren't even colored!!) but its mainly for my own learning experience.

The first one was my first try at pixel art, I can say that it was my first experience drawing a figure pixel a pixel until its completation.

Second one, was my effort of making a Firebolt icon for a d2mod, that I drawed at hand in a paper and scaned later, the skecht by hand was discarded for being crap and I ended pixelating over the scanned one, yeah! that's cheating but... oh well!

Last one is an sketch of a 38 pixels tall figure (my first attempt at that size) it took me fourty five minutes because I wasn't happy with legs, feets, etc...

Well, that's all I can think of for a first post, so thank you for your time.

Edit: Doh! this should had been on Art development, right? I feel a bit embarrased about the mistake :oops:
Attachments
Test38pixels.gif
Test38pixels.gif (1.03 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
PixelMissile.gif
PixelMissile.gif (1.29 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Prueba Pixel Art.gif
Prueba Pixel Art.gif (1.16 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Oreb

Re: drawing tests, suggestions welcomed

Post by Oreb »

Vendanna wrote:First, need to say thank you for this nice game, its simple and the graphics are rather nice.

My first post here, I'm from Spain and I have been lurking for quite a while and since I probably will like to create my own units in a very far future project, I writed here in order to learn how to improve my first drawings in pixel art (tought using paint, be gentle)

I know they aren't the quality needed for wesnoth (they aren't even colored!!) but its mainly for my own learning experience.

The first one was my first try at pixel art, I can say that it was my first experience drawing a figure pixel a pixel until its completation.

Second one, was my effort of making a Firebolt icon for a d2mod, that I drawed at hand in a paper and scaned later, the skecht by hand was discarded for being crap and I ended pixelating over the scanned one, yeah! that's cheating but... oh well!

Last one is an sketch of a 38 pixels tall figure (my first attempt at that size) it took me fourty five minutes because I wasn't happy with legs, feets, etc...

Well, that's all I can think of for a first post, so thank you for your time.

Edit: Doh! this should had been on Art development, right? I feel a bit embarrased about the mistake :oops:
First of all, you posted in the right thread, for only art contributers can post in art development.

Ok, the spearman looks good, the flag needs to be more droopy looking, for it looks like it is just flat at an angle. With a bit of the right colour he'll turn out alright.

Now the missle, looks really good. Though not wesnoth style, it is pretty good for what you did. (I know this is just to improve youo pixel drawing)

Now the 'boxer' needs a bit more work. You have the right idea, but the arms go to skinny at one point.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Oreb wrote:
Vendanna wrote:Edit: Doh! this should had been on Art development, right? I feel a bit embarrased about the mistake :oops:
First of all, you posted in the right thread, for only art contributers can post in art development.
I still find that terribly confusing: "Art Development" is for recognised art contributors and "Art contributions" is for people who aren't yet recognised as ready to contribute. :? IMO, the names should probably be changed; Vendanna is not the first to find them confusing.

Vendanna, you look like you're off to a good start there with those sprites. As Oreb pointed out there's some refinement required but it looks like with a little tweaking and practice you'll fit right in. :)
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I await their coloring. :)
(This can be the harder step; what I might recommend is to go to Fmunoz's graphic library page and look at the 2 tutorial animated gifs he has, which show draing a sprite as a step-by-step process. This is what started me at drawing and coloring sprites.)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

irrevenant wrote:I still find that terribly confusing: "Art Development" is for recognised art contributors and "Art contributions" is for people who aren't yet recognised as ready to contribute. :? IMO, the names should probably be changed; Vendanna is not the first to find them confusing.
Absolutely not. Art development is for art developers - we also allow high-level Art contributors (the ones with the title) to post there, because they're closer to being an art developer than anyone else. Really, what the hard-core art contributors do is help to develop the game - they're part of a concerted effort, rather than just giving random crap that may or may not be useful.

Art contributions is for anyone to take their first step at contributing. Nine times out of ten they're contributing things that they made for their own purposes, which generally comes off as being completely useless to the core game.

The difference between a contribution, and helping with development, is that the latter is being directed by someone (hi), and has a near-100% chance of being used in the actual game, so long as the person does a good job.

The confusion is probably about the term "development" - Art development is not for developing one's artistic skills, or for refining one's own art, it's for developing the game in general, on the artistic side. That the term can also refer to the former, as well as being valid for the latter, is what lends the confusion.
Vraven

Post by Vraven »

Oy, I wrote up a few paragraphs attempting to explain this also, but Jetryl certainly knows better than I.

Vendanna: you're definitely heading in the right direction. I hope to see you continuing these. Someone might recommend The Gimp, which is an opensource application generally superior to MSPaint, and free—you can check the Art Programs Wiki for all of that stuff, if you feel it would be helpful to you.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

To clarify, I wasn't saying that the names "Art Contribution" and "Art Development" should be swapped - I was just saying that they should both be changed to something clearer. I don't immediately have a suggestion as to what those clearer names should be though; I'll have a think about it.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

irrevenant wrote:To clarify, I wasn't saying that the names "Art Contribution" and "Art Development" should be swapped - I was just saying that they should both be changed to something clearer. I don't immediately have a suggestion as to what those clearer names should be though; I'll have a think about it.
You're welcome to come up with better names - I just can't afford the time/effort to think, outside of the box, well enough to do so myself.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I think its mostly a problem with the subforum description, why don't you add the description you gaved me on the subforum description, that way the forum doesn't need to have its name changed.

by the way, here is my first color attemp, tought I guess I'll need to practice more (tought I think I now learned more about contrast :))
Attachments
BoxercolorTest.gif
BoxercolorTest.gif (1.22 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
jg

Post by jg »

It already looks better when it is colored, but the problem is the left arm (from the viewpoint of the unit): it is IMO much too long. It nearly goes to the feet! Same thing with the other (though not that extreme).

jg
ascendant

Post by ascendant »

It's quite a good start. For this image, you should try to fix the arms, and the hips should probably be one pixel wider.

Even at this size, you have some space for details and shading. Try to put these in.

The last: Wesnoth sprites do have black outlines, because they would look too undefined in-game.
Morever, I advise that Catharge should be destoyed.