A Mountaineering Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

A Mountaineering Faction

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

I recently read of the Sherpa people from the Himalayas, and came up with this idea. This was also inspired by the goliaths from the D & D supplement Races of Stone.

This race call themselves the Parekh and live in small bands of 10-50 . There is a wide range of heights, from around 4'5'' to 8' with the average being 5'5'' or so. They are incredibly slow movers.

The Parekh are known to Dwarves and Orcs only, and little by them. The other races have no knowledge of the Parekh except for the occasional legend or two, due to the fact the the high peaks where they live are inaccesable. They are similar to both the Orcs and the Dwarves. They resemble Orcs in stature, and have the Orcish primalness. However, they have strict laws with severe punishments, since lawbreakers can easily undermine communities in such harsh environments. The Parekh are not particularly warlike, since every day is a struggle to survive in itself.

Parekh do not have the wanton cruelty of orcs; nor to they have the gentleness of elves. A Parekh would save your life if it slightly endangered his, but not because he is exceptionally kind, but because he needs to maintain a bond with you so you would save his.

I don't know whether this fits in the World of Wesnoth. Could somebody inform me?

Sorry if it is hard to understand. I am having trouble with phrasing today. I will probably post more in a couple hours.
Last edited by Keelta MacRonan on June 18th, 2006, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sounds like you could get one unit line from that, not a faction.
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

Units Brainstorm

Parekh Guardian: steadfast, 35 hp, 4-4 club ~ Parekh Warden: 45 hp, 7-4 club ~ Guardian of the Pack: 65 hp, 10-4 club

Parekh Firebringer: 35 hp, 5-3 fire, 5-2 club ~ Parekh ????: 40 hp, 9-3 fire, 6-3 club ~ Parekh ????: 55 hp, 11-3 fire, 9-3 club

Parekh Hunter: 35 hp, 6-2 bolas slows, 4-3 knife (melee) ~ Splits into 2 branches which focus on bolas and knife.

I have to go now, some feedback on the units so far might be nice. I doubt they are anywhere near balanced. I will probably finish the unit lines soon.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Art. :twisted:
Keelta MacRonan wrote:Parekh Guardian: steadfast,
What resistances? (remember, steadfast does nothing without resistances...)
Keelta MacRonan wrote:Parekh Firebringer: 35 hp, 5-3 fire, 5-2 club ~ Parekh ????: 40 hp, 9-3 fire, 6-3 club ~ Parekh ????: 55 hp, 11-3 fire, 9-3 club
A level 2 with only 40 HP and a 9-3 attack? The level 3 is even worse. That's 33 max. damage, as opposed to a typical level 3 unit with 45-48, and its HP does not compare favorably either. Also - you haven't even said whether the fire is melee or ranged!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

Keelta MacRonan wrote:I doubt they are anywhere near balanced.
Well, it's impossible for anything to be balanced if it exists with nothing to balance it. In this case, other factions. Unless you mean to add this to Default or have some other factions in mind?
scott

Post by scott »

I think half the factions suggested, including this one, should actually be labeled sub-factions that, like lego bricks, can be tacked together with other subfactions to create interesting combinations.

For example, the free goblin sub-faction, troll sub-faction, outlaw sub-faction, mountaineer sub-faction, and saurian sub-faction can all be mixed and matched in different ways with different contrived backstories to create unbalanced combinations that are fun to play. I'm really a little tired of single-race factions.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Eloquently put scott.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

scott wrote:For example, the free goblin sub-faction, troll sub-faction, outlaw sub-faction, mountaineer sub-faction, and saurian sub-faction can all be mixed and matched in different ways with different contrived backstories to create unbalanced combinations that are fun to play. I'm really a little tired of single-race factions.
Exactly...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Outlaws+mountaineers sounds like a start. Then free goblins + troll subfaction? You could say the trolls join with the free goblins because they get tired of the orcs bossing them around and calling them stupid.
hey.