A Prince's Tale

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

waw

A Prince's Tale

Post by waw »

A Prince's Tale is a story about Anluin, a young prince, who is the son of a famous king. His father goes off to war and Anluin runs into some trouble and decides to prove himself. He is tired of living in his father's shadow.

This campaign focuses more on story than difficulty, hopefully. Some scenarios are rather long and I recommend having accelerated speed on for the most part. Some seem to be more difficult but there are characters that pop up and come to your aid if you look in the right places. The scenarios bounce back and forth between commanding large armies and smaller missions with a handful of people.

It will be one of the longer campaigns most likely if/when it is completed. With Version 0.1.1 you will find there are only 6 scenarios.

(Depending on what the top tier thinks, it may get added into Mainline and would be set on the 'Old Continent'... that is one of its goals right now.) Eventually the story would see everybody coming to Wesnoth, following their ancestors route. Lots to that, and possibly/most likely won't happen so ignore that for ow. :D

If you enjoy my scenario and are interested in helping, here are the areas that I can't do/need help with:

Artwork- right now I am mooching off the mainline scenarios for what few portraits I do have and would like some for the main characters. Also the images as you can easily tell are regulars and copied from Mainlines, for example, I use Konrad! If you would like to make some please let me know.

Playing- Its the big one! Play through and give feed back on balancing and what might make it more fun. Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Story- I typed everything fast and I already know there are numerous errors. If you find anything you would like fixed, please inform me. Also, I have a pretty good basic story idea on what is going to happen, it involves many twists. I know from experience that you may get a great idea for the story as you are playing, feel free to let me know. It may not change it, it may already be there, or I may implement it. (Be willing for me to take your idea!!!)

Debugging/WMLing- if you notice any wml errors or better ways to do things, let me know, I would love it. I consider myself a grand novice on the project!

Since I have had some time off right now, I have currently worked on this for something like a week.

I broke it in half to zip it up onto the site. Feel free to try it out, it currently isn't on the add-ons server.
Attachments
A_Princes_Tale.zip
The file containing all the info.
(908.3 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
A_Princes_Tale2.zip
Contains the PBL the CFG and the images folder which needs to be placed in the other attachment for it to work.
(666.03 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Last edited by waw on August 21st, 2007, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What would you give for your freedom?
waw

Post by waw »

I found a horrendous error in the second scenario. You start right at the end instead of the beginning! This came from testing...

It's been fixed, but I haven't updated the package here yet, trying to get it online on the add-ons section...
waw

Post by waw »

Added seventh scenario, updated the downloadable attachment, and added the PBL file if anyone can figure out why it won't go onto the Add-ons for Wesnoth.

The error on scenario 2 has been fixed.
waw

Post by waw »

It's officially on the Add-On server... thank you all for your help.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

You sure you're the "new guy"?

I'm on the second scenario and so far everything seems pretty good. Only thing is I think you should have given the bad guys in the first scenario more gold. Other than that, it's proceeding nicely. I'll try and tell you if anything goes wrong.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
waw

Post by waw »

Ya... I've only done coding in forums, why?
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Because it seems you learn fast. It was a compliment. I only wish my eyesight allowed for coding.
The Shadow knows
waw

Post by waw »

:shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thank you very much.

What is wrong with your eye sight, may I ask?
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

no problem. I'm legally blind. I CAN see enough to play as long as the monitor is about 4 inches from my face.

I probably play more Wesnoth than the majority of players as being disabled, I've a lot of time on my hands. I'm great at ideas or my knowledge of history and can help out THAT way, but I can't do the programming. Lines of code or anything close to that and my eyes are swimming in tears after about 2 minutes.

The campaign is going well so far in my mind. Others will give you a hard time for the 'long" scenarios, but I'm one of those that prefer the long battles. Longest so far is the last scenario in Northern Rebirth. In fact, most of the scenarios in that campaign were long which is one of the reasons I liked it so much.

BTW...where was the second white mage in the second scenario, or am I not supposed to find her in that one? Was it that camp in the NW?

Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to contact me via email about historical information or even fantasy creature information if you need it. I'm 36 and a tad older than most players but that means I've a lot more info in my head.

edit... email is ShadowLCranston@aol.com
waw

Post by waw »

That's awesome! I'm 18 and starting college for history and mythology!
EDIT: I didn't mean the Blind part, I meant the history part. Sry for offense.

As for the long scenarios... I enjoy them too. On my comp I usually play two games at once so the longer ones help me.

As for the second mage, ya, she is in the northwest, or should be at least. You have to move on the keep. I don't recommend taking your whole force though.
waw

Post by waw »

At the end of Scenario 3 when you kill General Mosius sometimes it officially makes you lose and other times it doesn't. I think i fixed the bug but I'm not sure why it did that.

I'll update the add-ons tonight.

I tried to do a Kill Filter to get rid of Mosius' men once you killed him. Unfortunately, it kills everybody.

I tried this another time and it worked fine. But hopefully now it is fixed.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

ok. I haven't completed that scenario yet, as I've gone back to get that other white mage.

First time I played it, the NW camp is the only one I didn't check. I thought that the mage would be at one of the camps where you kill the boss.
The Shadow knows
jdp

A Prince's Tale

Post by jdp »

waw wrote:At the end of Scenario 3 when you kill General Mosius sometimes it officially makes you lose and other times it doesn't. I think i fixed the bug but I'm not sure why it did that.

I met this problem so couldn't go beyond Scenario 3. After seeing your message, I deleted the campaign folder and reinstalled it, but encountered the same problem. I still can't get past the death of General Mosius.

If you have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

It's a very interesting campaign, by the way. Thank you very much.
waw

Post by waw »

Hmm, I will run some tests today.

See the problem is that when you kill Mosius, all of his force is supposed to disappear... but somehow...EVERYBODY disappears!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I think I found the bug that causes everyone to die. In 03_Pirates_on_the_Water.cfg scenario, line 789, it currently says:

Code: Select all

[kill]
    [filter]
      side=6
      type=Sergeant,Heavy Infantryman,Cavalryman,Longbowman,Royal Guard
    [/filter]
  [/kill]
Remove the [filter] tags and it should be fixed:

Code: Select all

[kill]
      side=6
      type=Sergeant,Heavy Infantryman,Cavalryman,Longbowman,Royal Guard
  [/kill]
[kill] doesn't work with [filter], it seems, so the presence of [filter] makes Wesnoth think you just wrote [kill][/kill], which is supposed to kill everyone.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.