in-scenario messages- I miss half of them

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Crow_T

in-scenario messages- I miss half of them

Post by Crow_T »

I always do this, I click through messages accidentally if a character says something during a scenario. Is there any way for important messages to have an OK button (something I normally despise) in the text field so that a click in the battlefield does not bypass it quickly? Or some other method of delaying accidental click-thoughs, or a method of flagging important text.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: in-scenario messages- I miss half of them

Post by Paulomat4 »

well, you can always create the per wml by creating an option, which does nothing, but generally i agree with you. It would be nice to have such a thing
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Maybe this could be a preference option... but (imo) the default should be as is- just click or space to get past the dialog box.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I agree that this would best be a preference to allow flagged/important dialogue, as having to click at dialogue boxes is in actuality really crappy design- I bring this up because many times in the middle of a turn I blow through what could be important hints just on reflex. Maybe just a way for campaign creators to have certain important dialogues double click through instead of single click?
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Maybe can make an option to log the dialogue to chat or something so you can look at history if you blow through it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There used to be a small window of time during which clicks on the message box would be ignored back when it used the GUI1 framework. Since this was silently dropped by the GUI2 conversion in 1.5.x, it qualifies as a regression.

IIRC this fact isn’t even unknown to the development team. I also feel I have discussed this with people in the forums before, hm.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
wolkenwand

Post by wolkenwand »

how about a reverse dialogue button? there is a gba game (super robot taisen) that allow the player to reverse back the dialogue by pressing the L button, so the player can re-read some previous dialogue in that scene. i dont know though is this feature implementable in this game.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

shadowm wrote:IIRC this fact isn’t even unknown to the development team. I also feel I have discussed this with people in the forums before, hm.
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36015
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I think a dialog log similar to the chat log would be the best solution to this problem.

Other than if you want to make the game about "memorize the important hints" (in some campaign you have to select a password which was previously given by dialogue).
SFault

Post by SFault »

The dialogue log would be great! Too often I'm eager to move the next unit and I accidentally dismiss message launched by MoveTo-event. And those messages usually contain very important information.
pauxlo wrote:Other than if you want to make the game about "memorize the important hints" (in some campaign you have to select a password which was previously given by dialogue).
If someone wants to cheat on campaigns there are several ways to do it, so I don't see this as a big problem especially compared to the benefits the log would give.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I think just bringing back the original delay would suffice, it'd give you some time to catch the fact that a message has appeared. I don't think many scenarios are complex enough to require logging.

How about a back button for conversations as well? I seem to feel the first message gets skipped in the same manner
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Crow_T wrote: I don't think many scenarios are complex enough to require logging.
But "build it and they will come."
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects