Ghostly Calls

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Suukorak

Ghostly Calls

Post by Suukorak »

I recently posted the campaign Ghostly Calls on the add-ons server for 1.9.5.
This is a topic for any feedback or comments.
Questions
1. Did you find any bugs?
2. What difficulty were you playing on?
3. If you know WML, do you have any programming suggestions?
4. Do you have any suggestions for the gameplay (balancing)?
5. Do you have any suggestions for the storyline?
6. I am thinking of making a sequel. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?
Thank you for your feedback, and enjoy the campaign! :mrgreen:
Suukorak
He who is still learning WML, can still make a campaign. (or at least try)

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Ghostly Calls

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

1. Did you find any bugs?
yes, see below...

2. What difficulty were you playing on?
Normal

3. If you know WML, do you have any programming suggestions?
A couple, see below...

4. Do you have any suggestions for the gameplay (balancing)?
not at the moment, only played two scenarios so far

5. Do you have any suggestions for the storyline?
not at the moment.

6. I am thinking of making a sequel. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?
I'll comment when I finish the campaign.

WML Bugs:
an error message occurs in the first scenario, this is due to you having the {HIGHLIGHT_ITEM} macro outside of an event. It needs to be inside one (probably should be the start event).
A second error is due to faulty Objective tags (you have two of them, one for side 0, another for side 1) You should elimnate the first one, and set the second (as it's the proper format) to side=1 (Objectives uses the key description, not speaker)

Programming Suggestions:
For the first scenario, I think it would be better if John Dee recruited or had two or three Arch Mages with him to chase you. John Dee can be killed on Normal if you lure him into the water at night and can get 3 hits off with the Shadow's backstab. Then the remaining Bats & the Adept are likely to kill him.

The indenting of your code is bad. (At least in the first couple scenarios. Later scenarios are a little better, but still off of ideal form.) This makes it hard to read, and lessens the likelyhood of getting comments about it.
I recommend you use wmlindent, a developer tool, to automatically indent all your code (make a backup first). You'll have to set some time aside for this. wmlindent can be intimidating to set up, but it is worth the time. (I found it intmidating when I first set it up.) Even though it might seem a bit involved to set it up, it will clean up your code indenting faster than doing it by hand.

Also, if you're not using a proper code editor (you might already be), get something like notepad++, and get the proper (Highlighting Plugin) for it.

With version numbering, it is recommended to follow the guidelines in
PblWML using the style of 0.y.z for works-in-progress, & reserving 1.0.0 and greater for content that is reasonably complete, polished & balanced.

Campaign Thoughts:
From the two scenarios I've played so far, this campagin seems like a good introductory campagin to playing the undead for novice/first-time players of Wesnoth. Units for the recruit list are introduced slowly, the player is guided by the story and dialogue to use them as they are introduced, and the doubled experience requirement for levelup gives the player more time to work with each unit.
I'd recommend updating the campaign description to mention this fact.

I'll have more comments after I've played through the rest of the campaign.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

SigurdTheDragon wrote: Also, if you're not using a proper code editor (you might already be), get something like notepad++, and get the proper (Highlighting Plugin) for it.
I didn't play this campaign yet, but wanted to say something about this. If you really don't use a proper editor, better start with the Wesnoth Eclipse IDE than with a plain text editor ;)
There you can call directly tools like wmllint, wmlscope and wmlindent and start your campaign ingame.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

Thank you, SigurdTheDragon. Very helpful comments. I realize it's a bit messed up as I just adapted it from 1.6. I have tried to figure out how to use wmlindent and wmllint and all those silly things, but, truth be told, I don't know enough about them to be able to run them. I tried running the wesnoth IDE, but it doesn't like the directories I give it on setup, so... I can't use it, sorry. I will certainly consider your balancing and description suggestions, but I don't think there's a way to make the version a 0.x.y while making it a 'more recent' version than 1.0.

I appreciate your thoughtful response.
Thank you,
Suukorak

You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

More comments:

Finished up through Blood Feud scenario.

Some suggestions:
Undead Crypt: add a time extention when the reinforcing leader arrivies on the scene. (otherwise it counts as a tomato suprise; and a few players would run out of time for the scenario.)
Return to the Library: Clarify objectives to indicate that Ahab must pick up the book.
Blood Feud: Clarify objectives to indicate that Ahab must pick up the skull.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it, and will act accordingly.

Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

I have implemented the corrections suggested by SigurdtheDragon in version 1.0.1.
Thanks for the feedback so far, I hope it will continue!

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

um....
there are NO scenario objectives...
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

That's strange... there should be. I'll check it out.
What exactly does it say at the beginning?

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

"No objectives avaible"
and in every scenario is a error message
btw.. i think that those maps are to big, you need an hour to walk throught the most
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Suukorak wrote:That's strange... there should be. I'll check it out.
What exactly does it say at the beginning?
I can second Konrad2's bug report on BfW 1.9.6.
There's a Lua error: attempt to concatenate field 'description' (a nil value) at the beginning of each scenario.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Crendgrim wrote:There's a Lua error: attempt to concatenate field 'description' (a nil value) at the beginning of each scenario
Since large parts of the wml action engine are implemented in lua in 1.9, one can get lua errors even though one isn't using any lua in one's addon. It usually means that one didn't follow allowed wml syntax closely enough; in this case you used [objective]key= instead of description=.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

Aha! Thank you, Anonymissimus, for the solution, and Konrad2 and Crendgrim for pointing out the error. It will be remedied at once.

Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I have found a bug in the campaing:
Spoiler:
Suukorak

Post by Suukorak »

You surprise me that you were able to kill him. You probably got very lucky… Anyway, he’s not dead. He just retreated.
Do you think the time limit on scenario 3 is too short? On what difficulty was it? Also, it seems like you’re turning to fight. Perhaps it would be more advisable to flee – you don’t have to kill anyone to win the scenario, just escape. Later, you’ll get your chance to fight.
Thanks for pointing out this discontinuity, though. I’ll make sure to make it more clear in the next version.