Gweddyn the Ruler

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SFault

Gweddyn the Ruler

Post by SFault »

A strategy campaign where you are a ruler looking for expanding your kingdom. The campaign doesn't progress normally scenario after scenario but by making decisions to improve your reign and then selecting what place you want to conquer.

Current version: 0.0.2 Unplayable (for 1.13.8 ).

NEW FEATURES: bug fixes

The campaign is still in heavy construction mode and is not playable. But for look and feel one can check it out. The basic structure is implemented and one battle is included. Some instructions:
Spoiler:
The idea is to have big world with multiple enemies to conquer. There will be buildings constructing to get more units to recruit list and some specialties (like xp bonus for recruits or higher tax income). You can also build a tavern to get some mercenaries and go exploring for xp and treasure. You will get tax money from each county you own, but the enemies will try to invade them from you. After slowly expanding your kingdom your income increases significantly and you become ready to defeat the enemy leaders.

But for starters there will be only 6 counties, one enemy and just couple of buildings. So far about 1/6 of the first playable release is implemented. I'm posting this here for a teaser and to hear thoughts, ideas and other comments.
Last edited by SFault on January 8th, 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Gweddyn the Ruler

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey Sfault,
I think your add-on Idea is very interesting and I'm eager to see how it will turn out.
I'm interested in how you want to make the ai act. Do you want to make alternating "turns"? So, the player decides to attack one county, or do one exploring mission or similar, and then the ai randomly attacks one of your county's?
What I think is a good Idea is sidequest you can do in each county. For example the inhabitants of the new county could tell you about a bandit's nest that has been terrorizing them or elves that go on their nerves, something like that. That way you can optionally make the campaign longer and give the player the possibility to strengthen his army before attacking the next county. But of course the player would have to deal with an attack on on of his county's in exchange.
Just some ideas that come to my mind... :)
Also I think I can help you with mapmaking. I always had fun with that. If you want you can just pm me the details of which maps you need and I'll see what I can do. ;)

Greetings,
Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
SFault

Post by SFault »

Thanks for the interest. The game is divided into rounds and I call them months. In each month you got the maintenance phase and battle phase. In maintenance phase player can order builder to construct new building (that will be ready in next month), hire mercenaries etc. After all that is done, player decides either 1) attack enemy county 2) go explore 3) skip battle and begin next month right away or 4) defend own county. If enemy attacks in player's county, it's forced choice to do defend battle (or maybe player can just give up the place without fight). At the beginning of each month the enemy collects taxes from counties he owns. If there is enough money there is a random chance that enemy attacks some county player owns (this is not yet implemented).

I just finished implementing the tax collection for the enemy. He collects the taxes into a pool and then distributes money to counties he owns (unevenly). Every enemy county has it's own defense budget. This budget slowly increases, so it's better for player to invade enemy counties to reduce enemy's tax income. E.g. if enemy has total gold of 2000, player can still attack some remote place that uses only 100g of the total pool instead of facing army worth of 2000g.

The side quest idea is good. I was thinking that player can go exploring and thus face some "random" scenarios, but it could be nice that each (or most) counties would have some side story that could be played instead of the four battle types mentioned above. For first edition I will have just the strategy part, but after that I might attach some story to the side to spice things up.

For explore (not implemented at all yet) I was thinking of having some choices (lair, islands, mountains, forest). And I just started thinking that each of these could have one scenario but with randomly picked map from set of e.g. lair maps. On the map there could be for example three keeps, and in code it's randomized in which keep the foe would be and also randomly pick a foe setup (e.g. undead or orcs). This way the player wouldn't play the same exact scenario again and again, but a scenario that seems to be quite different one.
Paulomat4 wrote:Also I think I can help you with mapmaking. I always had fun with that. If you want you can just pm me the details of which maps you need and I'll see what I can do. ;)
Thanks for the offer, but I already have Lordlewis making maps for me. But now that I think of it, I could make a template for those explore scenarios and have other's to make single scenarios on top of the template. Then I randomly pick one of these scenarios when player selects explore... outsourcing those side quests... hmm...
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I get this error from the BfW 1.13 add-on manager
error addons-client: add-on 'Gweddyn_the_Ruler' has an icon which cannot be found: 'units/player/rulerking.png~RC(magenta>green'
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SFault

Post by SFault »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have the old version code so I cannot check out the problem. I updated the newest version. That should fix it. I think it was just a typo, like missing parenthesis. If the problem reoccurs I better change the icon.

For the past two months there has been almost no progress with this but I still try to get a playable version out on spring.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art