Vengeance of a Drake: an RPG

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Developers, Forum Moderators

Vengeance of a Drake: an RPG

Postby Samonella » April 9th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Vengeance of a Drake, SP RPG for 1.13.7

This is an early release for my current project, a sort of RPG campaign. Unlike other wesnoth RPGs, this one focuses less on leveling up abilities and spells, and more on exploring an open world filled with characters you can talk to using an unique conversation system. It's unfinished, and so far impossible to win, but it is already a fairly deep world. Right now I'm just hoping to get some opinions about the campaign and game-play in general. For these reasons, it's not on the add-on server yet, so if I've caught your interest just download it from here (and if you don't know what to do with the attached file I'd love to help).
Vengeance_of_a_Drake.zip
(2 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

I'm aiming to publish this shortly after BfW 1.14 is released, so right now it only works in 1.13.7. Also, due to a 13.7 bug, you'll encounter occasional problems unless you put the following file in data/lua (again, I'd be happy to help if you don't know how to do this):
wml-tags.lua
(41.37 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

If you're willing to help me out by taking a look, please read this section after playing the campaign's tutorial (the first scenario):
Details
What's finished right now:
There are several places in the campaign that you'll see someone say TODO which simply means that I have plans but haven't implemented it yet. There are also many places where a character hints that you should try doing something, but if you can't figure out how to do it or make it work, that probably means I haven't implemented it yet either. But the biggest thing lacking right now is that no one reacts to very many of the items you can show them; only a few of the items can actually start conversations.

Special things to keep an eye out for:
The biggest thing I'm worried about is latency; it might just be my slow computer but are there ever unusually long waits after things like ending your turn or selecting a unit? Also, do characters ever say things that are obviously out of place? Sometimes there's a lot of logic involved in deciding which conversations should trigger, so if someone says something that doesn't make sense, it may well be that I messed up the code somewhere and you're seeing a message that isn't where it belongs.

Other than that, I love typo/grammar fixes, and I'm open to big-picture suggestions as well. Is the campaign reasonably interesting, or do you feel like there's too much of the same things? Do you have ideas for special events or side-stories? Are any moments immersion-breaking?

Thanks in advance!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of The Rising Underworld
Proud creator of Vengeance of a Drake: an RPG
Samonella

Re: Vengeance of a Drake: an RPG

Postby Inky » April 10th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Wow!!! A Wesnoth RPG, this is so awesome!
I played the tutorial (poor Meaty... :( ) and a bit of the actual scenario. It's so cool how the NPCs move around during different times of day!
It's a lot of fun, can't wait to see how this develops :)

General comments:
-I didn't notice any long waits after selecting a unit, and ending a turn usually took no more than a few seconds (it only took longer when there were a lot of NPCs moving around), and was never annoying.
-I don't think it's necessary to ask if the player wants to replay the tutorial; I can't imagine that someone would need/want to replay the whole thing in order to understand something, and even if that were the case they could just restart the campaign.
-If you lose a gladiator match you still retain the XP you got during the match, this seems pretty exploitable to me. EDIT: maybe just have it cost some gold to participate in a match.
-Maybe Voadar's AMLAs shouldn't heal him to full? AMLAing and healing during a gladiator match (or any other battle) is a pretty trivial way to win.
-There is a loooot of right clicking to talk to people. Maybe it would save a lot of clicks if moving next to a unit automatically started a conversation? (And if you move adjacent to >= 2 units, just have nothing happen and the player uses the right click menu to select whom to talk to.)

Bugs:
-Whenever you move somewhere indoors, you heal 1 HP.
-The Stolen Goods item doesn't stack (if you get 2 it only counts as 1)
-When you've heard all of Ivan's rumors and talk to him again, the top text gets cut off after "I guess I'll just" (my font size is 100% so this shouldn't be the cause)

Some typos
2_scenario.cfg line 36 grown -> groan
ivan.cfg line 76: I heard folks say your smarter than you look -> you're
klippy.cfg line 29: That's where you come it. -> in
monument_options line 66: or makes the game to easy -> too
Tetaitiel.cfg line 274: Don't miss the trill of a lifetime! -> thrill
Tetaitiel.cfg line 608: Congradulations
Commented playthroughs with screenshots:
Let's Play Dead Water, Let's Play Invasion from the Unknown and Let's Play After the Storm (in progress)
Inky

Postby Samonella » April 10th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Inky wrote:Wow!!! A Wesnoth RPG, this is so awesome!
I played the tutorial (poor Meaty... :( ) and a bit of the actual scenario. It's so cool how the NPCs move around during different times of day!
It's a lot of fun, can't wait to see how this develops :)
Well thank you very much! I wasn't expecting feedback so soon!

Individual points
Inky wrote:-I didn't notice any long waits after selecting a unit, and ending a turn usually took no more than a few seconds (it only took longer when there were a lot of NPCs moving around), and was never annoying.
Good to hear! For me there's almost a second delay after clicking units. It's trivial at first, but quite annoying after a couple dozen turns.

Inky wrote:-I don't think it's necessary to ask if the player wants to replay the tutorial; I can't imagine that someone would need/want to replay the whole thing in order to understand something, and even if that were the case they could just restart the campaign.
Good point. Right after programming something it always seems more complicated than it actually is.

Inky wrote:-If you lose a gladiator match you still retain the XP you got during the match, this seems pretty exploitable to me. EDIT: maybe just have it cost some gold to participate in a match.
Well, it already costs you for the food it takes to heal. And don't think losing a match should be waste of time, just a couple XP seems like a good thing to me. After all, in real life you learn more from losing.

Inky wrote:-Maybe Voadar's AMLAs shouldn't heal him to full? AMLAing and healing during a gladiator match (or any other battle) is a pretty trivial way to win.
Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Probably still remove slowed status, but not poisoned?

Inky wrote:-There is a loooot of right clicking to talk to people. Maybe it would save a lot of clicks if moving next to a unit automatically started a conversation? (And if you move adjacent to >= 2 units, just have nothing happen and the player uses the right click menu to select whom to talk to.)
Hm, that could work but I'd rather keep the rules simple. Would a hot-key be good enough, just point at the unit and press "t" or something?

Inky wrote:-Whenever you move somewhere indoors, you heal 1 HP.
That's strange. I think it's actually another 13.7 bug. I'll play around with it a bit more and probably report it later today.

Inky wrote:-The Stolen Goods item doesn't stack (if you get 2 it only counts as 1)
So far (and probably ever) the only thing you can do with stolen goods is sell them to Klippy, and she takes into account how many you have and where they came from. But sure, it would be good for it to show something in the inventory too, I'll add that.

Inky wrote:-When you've heard all of Ivan's rumors and talk to him again, the top text gets cut off after "I guess I'll just" (my font size is 100% so this shouldn't be the cause)
Hm, it doesn't happen for me, and I have a fairly small monitor. Does the message window fill up your entire screen?

Inky wrote:Some typos
Thanks! Though I know some flute players who sure wouldn't want to miss the trill of a lifetime.

Thanks again, this is a big help!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Samonella

Postby Inky » April 10th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Samonella wrote: Would a hot-key be good enough, just point at the unit and press "t" or something?

That would be great! It would be much faster than having to click twice each time.

Samonella wrote:Hm, it doesn't happen for me, and I have a fairly small monitor. Does the message window fill up your entire screen?

It turns out this only happens for me in windowed mode, and works correctly in fullscreen. Probably a general wesnoth bug with the dialog boxes not scaling correctly in windowed mode :hmm:
(here's what it looks like in windowed mode)
Spoiler:
Commented playthroughs with screenshots:
Let's Play Dead Water, Let's Play Invasion from the Unknown and Let's Play After the Storm (in progress)
Inky

Postby ForestDragon » April 11th, 2017, 4:39 am

:Awesome: Amazing! too bad i don't have wesnoth 1.13 on my computer, otherwise i'd guarantee to play it.
ForestDragon

Postby Samonella » April 11th, 2017, 3:30 pm

ForestDragon wrote::Awesome: Amazing! too bad i don't have wesnoth 1.13 on my computer, otherwise i'd guarantee to play it.
Well, it doesn't take too long to download... :whistle:

Inky:
In case you didn't see it already, I mentioned the weird message formatting (and the 1 hp heal bug, which Celtic_Minstrel already fixed) on the 1.13.7 thread.

Samonella

Postby ForestDragon » April 11th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Samonella wrote:
ForestDragon wrote::Awesome: Amazing! too bad i don't have wesnoth 1.13 on my computer, otherwise i'd guarantee to play it.
Well, it doesn't take too long to download... :whistle:/quote]
well, the thing is, i am on AltLinux, where bfw isn't updated to 1.13.7 yet
ForestDragon

Postby Samonella » April 11th, 2017, 5:56 pm

ForestDragon wrote:well, the thing is, i am on AltLinux, where bfw isn't updated to 1.13.7 yet
Ah, that's unfortunate. Thanks for your interest anyway.

Samonella

Postby ForestDragon » April 11th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Samonella wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:well, the thing is, i am on AltLinux, where bfw isn't updated to 1.13.7 yet
Ah, that's unfortunate. Thanks for your interest anyway.

well, if i am not mistaken. bfw is going to be updated on AltLinux relatively soon, when it is, i'll play this campaign, and hopefully start churning out feedback.

EDIT:btw, the main thing i like about this campaign (i only read a few files inside the folder, but i guess it's enough to form a fact-based-enough opinion) is that the focus is on the story/dialogue. the fact that a lot of RPG/open world games (and other open-world add-ons, which are very rare, btw) focus too much on the gameplay, which is getting stale. while playing campaigns, i often just read the dialog, and skip to the next scenarios. btw, the language barrier for the protagonist is a very good design choice in my opinion :)
ForestDragon

Return to Scenario & Campaign Development