A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LemonTea

A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Post by LemonTea »

Well, having played Wesnoth since September, I decided to have a go at coding something, so I made this campaign, titled 'A Vision Blinded.' I began coding on Wesnoth v1.4.6 but continued on v1.4.7 so this should (hopefully) work for the v1.4.x branch.

I've worked on it alone for hmm... less that 10 days, and so far I got the first 12 scenarios (out of 15 planned) all working (on my computer at least). So I guess this makes it v0.0.8. This was begun with a lot of help from opensourcejunkie's template (and I kept his annotations for the first few scenarios). So thanks opensourcejunkie :D

So onto the campaign now. Its description reads:
Defend the northern forest against what appeared like a routine orcish raid, and unravel the greater conspiracies that lie below its waves.
Here's a quote from its introduction:
The history of the Great Continent is often but a tale of endless conflict. The elves had had their share, ever since their ancient wars against the dwarves.

Small orcish raids into the elvish forests soon became the norm, and remained so even centuries after the first arrival of the orcs. Most did not make it very far.

One autumn, almost a millenium since the first appearance of the human refugees and their pursuers, orcish wardrums once again sounded to the west of the northern forests. The elves roused to arms, expecting another easy victory.

They were destined to find the invasion was but the tip of the crushing iceberg that was to follow...
Yes, it is an elvish campaign, since I like the elvish unit-tree :lol2: . One of the reasons I made this is because I wanted an antagonist that is NOT 'lol i r evil,' and want to leave it to the interpretation of the player of who is the goodie and who is the baddie, or whether those terms are relevant. And oh yes, I tried making more than just basic dialogue, as I wanted something a bit more engaging (this becomes especially evident in scenarios 9 ~ 10).

I tried my best to make the scenarios varied and interesting (though the current lack of balancing may undermine that). I did do some (not much!) quite rudimentary balancing, though most of it remains unbalanced. (EDIT: scenarios now complete)

EDIT: It is now on the addon-server. Please download from there rather than this attachment, as the attachment is quite ridiculously out of date.

So here it is now, hope you like it! :eng:

UPDATES:

31 Dec 2008: Version 0.0.9 created. Scenario 13 coded, #12 fixed, description fixed.
1 Jan 2009: Version 0.1.0 created. No new scenarios but some fixes to AI behaviour in earlier scenarios.
2 Jan 2009: Version 0.1.2 created. All scenarios are now complete (#14 and #15 written). Still need a lot of balancing and some editing.
2 Jan 2009: Version 0.1.3 uploaded. Updated description and changed a hero's starting role.
2 Jan 2009: Version 0.1.4. I didn't plan to update this more today but I did :P Changed main leader to lvl 1 when starting (using a campaign-only unit I made), unless on easy, in which case it still starts on lvl 2.
3 Jan 2009: Version 0.2.0. AI gold changed in scenario 6, AI behaviour improved in scen 6 ~ 10. Elvish Initiate HP reduced. id tag in _main fixed.
4 Jan 2009: Version 0.3.0. Two new naga units to give more variety when meeting naga opponents. AI behaviour parameters changed in scenarios 11 to 13, map slightly edited in scenarios 4 and 11.
5 Jan 2009: Version 0.3.1. Small patch. Quick fix to scen 5 and 6 where unit spawns on cave wall. Nothing important.
6 Jan 2009: Version 0.3.4. Minor edits to map and edits to enemies and AI parameters in scen 2. Scen 3 had more turns. Scen 4 now easier.
6 Jan 2009: Version 0.3.5. More turns added to Scenario 6.
8 Jan 2009: Version 0.3.7. Enemy recruits changed in scenario 9, enemy gold changed in scenario 10.
9 Jan 2009: Version 0.4.0. Villages reduced in scenarios 3, 4 and 6. Turns reduced in scenarios 4 and 7. Enemy gold increased in scenario 6. Enemy recruits, gold, AI changed in scenario 6, with an additional event. Objectives fixed in scenario 10.
10 Jan 2009: Version 0.4.3. Enemy gold decreased in scenarios 12 and 13, more villages and turns in 13, more river fords in 12. Ambusher units made lvl 2 in scen 8, except on easy. Enemy reinforcements in scenario 9 arrive earlier. Allies in scenaro 12 arrive earlier and slightly more numerous.
14 Jan 2009: Version 0.4.4. Ambushes set up in scenario 7. Still working on events for scenario 10, hopefully another update soon.
18 Jan 2009: Version 0.4.8. New event in scenario 10 to make it a bit more difficult, scenario 11 made easier by having to survive less turns. World map now has the dots and crosses to show progress, a few minor characters got generic portraits added.
24 Jan 2009: Version 0.4.9. Scenario 13 made easier by changing the starting gold for one of the enemies, changed the AI parameters of ally. Scenario 6 has more turns.
27 Jan 2009: Version 0.5.0. Fixed a bug in scenario 7 where the ambushers actively attack rather than ambush.

Replays for each scenario can be found here:
If you want to share your replay(s) of AVB with the community, then please follow the corresponding link:

Attachments
A_Vision_Blinded_v0.0.8.zip
(68.64 KiB) Downloaded 958 times
Last edited by Soliton on March 19th, 2019, 6:02 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Reason: Added list of replay links for Adamant14
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: A Vision Blinded

Post by Turuk »

In the folder you have now, you will have to create a .pbl file.

The instructions to do so can be found here.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/PblWML

Place that in the folder, and when you start wesnoth (placing your campaign in the userdata directory), open up the add-on server. You will see a choice to publish your add-on.
Attachments
Picture 5.png
Picture 3.png
Last edited by Turuk on December 30th, 2008, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Turuk wrote:In the folder you have now, you will have to create a .pbl file.

The instructions to do so can be found here.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/PblWML

Place that in the folder, and when you start wesnoth (placing your campaign in the userdata directory), open up the add-on server. You will see a choice to publish your add-on.
Ah thank you. Let me try now...

EDIT: Ok it's on the server
Last edited by LemonTea on December 30th, 2008, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
lastjuan

Post by lastjuan »

When I try to load the campagnain it says:
Error:
Scenario Unknown: '01_Skirmish'
I love eleves campagains BTW.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Hmm... It worked fine for me, I tried it just then :/

What version are you using by the way? Cos it prolly wouldn't work on v1.5.x due to differences in WML tags and stuff.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Simplest fix ever. When downloaded, the folder name is A_Vision_Blinded_v0.

Change it to A_Vision_Blinded.

Will work perfectly.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Now that it's on the add-ons server, you should probably download from there :wink:
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Version 0.0.9: Scenario #13 created, the update has been uploaded onto the official 1.4.x add-on server.

And I can do with some feedback to help me balance/edit this campaign. :wink:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Intro
-The history of the Great Continent is often NAUGHT but a tale of endless conflict.
-had had into "have had more than their share" ?
-"The invasion was but the tip of the iceberg that would slowly but inexorably grind over the elven forces arrayed in it's path."

Scenario 1
-Very very easy. A level 3 supporting hero, a level 2 main character, plenty of recruits and for some reason the AI will not engage my units, instead they headed to the west of the map.
-Nice map setup, and the sides would be fairly balanced if the AI would attack as it should.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

I played through the first scenario and enemy escaped like Turuk said. Their leader went to a village to heal from the castle when I attacked it with one archer (6 damage)... I could take over the castle and recruit some units and then I killed all the enemy units just for exp. I lost 1 unit, if I remember correctly.

I played the second scenario a little bit and I think the castle destruction is a good idea. :)
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Yeah, I think that 'enemy escaping' thing is a problem in quite a few scenarios :hmm: they take more notice of villages and less notice of the player than I would have liked it. (especially scen 4 and 11, given the setting of those scenarios it just makes no sense for the enemy to pay attention to villages, scen 12 and 13 are better since I gave the AI almost all the villages near them).

And yes, I should make the support hero only start on lvl 3 if on easy. :hmm:

Though Scenario 1 was designed to be a general pushover :wink:
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Version 0.1.0 now on add-on server! Added more AI parameters for scenarios 1 ~ 4, generally more aggressive and less village-grabbing, and on scen 3 AI now changes behaviour according to time of day. Made it that they try to protect their leaders. Hopefully we'll now also have less stupid behaviour such as leader idiotically running out of keep into your units (some of the leaders got passive, though not all). Should fix some of the dumber AI decisions. Still missing final scenario and epilogue.

EDIT: Happy new year!
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Version 0.1.2 uploaded, Scenario 14 (final battle scenario) and 15 (epilogue) completed and working. Though I might put in more events in scen 14 some other time. All scenarios complete.

Now the to-do list largely consists of balancing, feedback would be good to help me in this :geek: .

EDIT: Triple post :oops:

EDIT2: Version 0.1.3 uploaded. Fixed the description, which in 0.1.2 still claimed that not all scenarios were written. Also changed Alvelyn's starting role to Druid, except on easy where it remains a shyde.

EDIT3: Changed main leader to lvl 1 when starting (using a campaign-only unit I made), unless on easy, in which case it still starts on lvl 2.
lastjuan

Re: A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Post by lastjuan »

Hi LemonTea:

I'm playing through this campgain and I'm really having a hard time finding the correct approach to beat the scenario In Emerging from the Darkness :( :( . The enemies are too effective to slow me down and I'm unable to advance with enough speed to reach the Southern part of the map. Bear in mind that I'm not that great of player, but it start to annoyed me, because it's a bit boring right now IMHO.

Greetings lastjuan
LemonTea

Re: A Vision Blinded (15 scenarios, all complete and working)

Post by LemonTea »

Hmm that one :/

If you really want to know at first I gave the enemies even more gold, then then i figured it was impossible :lol2: so I took off some gold.

Well you know how at the beginning you had to bust down that wall, well [hint_or_spoiler] there is more than one place where a wall can be busted down. One of the places (west-south-west of the pot of gold) leads to a passageway which skips two enemy keeps, but if you go the long way you find other bonuses [/hint_or_spoiler]

What difficuly setting are you on by the way?

Yeah I'll look into it (tomorrow, since it's 11 PM here now :( ). I think your trouble is that the enemies have too much gold or income (i set their income pretty high), I'll see if I should reduce it. I'll prolly do that rather than give more turns, since I think that level is long enough as is.

EDIT: Also, what version of the campaign are you using?