Internationalization

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

skovbaer

French and Danish translations

Post by skovbaer »

New translations in CVS:

The updated French translation from DaringTremayne
The updated Danish translation from Skovbaer (hey, that's me)

The Danish translation should reflect the latest text bits from scenario 12 :)
- dk_skovbaer -
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Hi,

I downloaded the binary version for Windows of the CVS from 20/10/2003.
I was a little bit surprised to discover that some words or sentence that I've translated a month ago has disappeared in the French translation! (for example the skip button, or next button).

I've also discover that some sentences have been rewritten with mistake sometimes. I can admit that I also did some mistake and that in French an Elf could be called an "Elfe" (but I already saw the two ways of writting it), but for an Orc which is a totally unreal creature, we can't call them "Orque".
"Orque" are those big black & white whale.

I can absolutely understand that there could have many translator for a single language, but if there isn't any discussion between them concerning the use of some words instead of other, we will finish to have a completely heterogeneous translation.

That was my 2 cents opinion, but I won't continue to translate anything if my work is erased without any notice, or at least discussion! :cry: (I hope you could understand)

Guillaume
zas

About french translation

Post by zas »

Guillaume,

Erased translations are a mistake from DaringTremayne. You can _always_ revert any change in CVS.
cvs is done for that, isn't it ?

About elf vs elfe and orc vs orque, i'm reponsible of that change, which was inspired from LOTR book translations. If you feel orc is better than orque, no problem for me, just replace occurences of it in translation.

I will not commit any change to french translation anymore, so do as you want, but please fix typos, respect french orthography, and use a mature language.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Guillaume,

I'm sorry to hear that some of your changes were deleted. This was certainly not intentional.

We have not been very organized thus far with the internationalization effort, and for this I apologize.

We are now trying to improve things by making them more organized. You will have received a message from Skovbaer offering you the position of official French translation maintainer. This will allow full control of the French translation, and comments and changes to it will be forwarded to you for inspection before they are commited.

We can also get any changes you may have made that were lost back from CVS.

We now have a forum specially dedicated to discussion of internationalization, which I suggest you make use of to discuss with others who are interested in the French translation.

I hope these changes will make things better for you, and that you will be able to happily and productively continue to contribute. Let us know if there are any further changes which you would like to see to better facilitate the internationalization effort.

David
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Hi all,

well, my intention was not to hurt anyone, or to impose my point of view, but as the project is becoming more and more important and used, I think that we need now a minimum of rigour.
As I already said, for sure my mother tong is not English, so I can make translation mistake, and I should have done some, but as we are now multiple volunteers for French translation, I think that a minimum of discussion must be done before selecting a translation instead of another.

I'm happy to see that everyone is open minded and that we could solve problems so quickly. :D

Guillaume
skovbaer

Post by skovbaer »

Guillaume wrote:I think that a minimum of discussion must be done before selecting a translation instead of another.
Yes, that's why we created the new forum "Translations & Internationalization" :)
The purpose with all this was primarily to stop people from arguing too loudly and eventually (of course not on purpose) delete other people's translations... Something like that...
- dk_skovbaer -
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

skovbaer,

Would you be able to use CVS to find the version of Guillaume's before things got deleted, and then send the current version and the old version to Guillaume, and he can have discretion to merge the two translations (or just drop one and use whichever one he prefers), and send the result to you to be committed?

Thanks,

David
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Code: Select all

Would you be able to use CVS to find the version of Guillaume's before things got deleted, and then send the current version and the old version to Guillaume, and he can have discretion to merge the two translations (or just drop one and use whichever one he prefers), and send the result to you to be committed?
I've still have the last version that I sent you, if needed.

Guillaume
skovbaer

Post by skovbaer »

@Guillaume

Okay, so I really won't need to do anything? :) That's great...
- dk_skovbaer -
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, Guillaume, just get the version you had, get the current version, and make a new version of your choosing out of it. If you think your original version is best, just use it. If you want to discuss anything with others before deciding, just post on the new Internationalization forum.

David
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Well, I'm not at home this week-end, but I'll try to prepare a full new version for monday. Then I'll post a message in the new Internationalization forum to discuss about this new version with other translators.

Guillaume
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oh there's no hurry on any of this. Whenever you have time.
methinks

Post by methinks »

B0rsuk wrote: For example translating "preferences" to "wlasciwosci" sounds very confusing. If I never saw Windows and its irrational naming style, I would never guess what it's supposed to mean. And yes, I use Linux as my desktop system.
"ustawienia" fits much better - and everything is clear.

Translating "grassland" to "trawa" bothers me, too. I think it should be "rownina", not only because this is exact translation.. but also because controversal grassland tiles (like those "roads" in scenario1) are likely to be replaced with road tiles in some future.
Is there any technical problem with having 2 translations for one language ?
preferences can be translated to both words, I don't think that Ustawenia is really beter. 'rownina' is not that god, maybe 'trawiasta rownina' or 'laka' cause rownina simply means the shape of the terrain only. Not the type of ground. Anyway I have only began translating to see if it works in game. My translated version is on my hdd at home i will sned it till friday
Khiraly

actions.cpp line 148

Post by Khiraly »

Hi!

There is another slight problem that when a unit has no retaliation when attacked, the "none" string cannot be translated as it is hard-coded in the file action.cpp. Would you consider turning it inot a string that could be translated as the others?

src/actions.cpp line 147-148 :

if(include_strings)
res.defend_name = "none";

(I'm 40% ready with the Hungarian translation, presumably it will be finished in a few weeks' time.)

Regards,
Khiraly
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Khiraly,

I have committed a fix for this to CVS.

Thanks for the bug report.

David