Expanded Branches Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zigg

Expanded Branches Era

Post by Zigg »

The Era would have more Branches for Factions and make AMLA's super rare.

Changes Below

Northerners

Orcish Grunt--Orcish Warrior--Orcish Warlord--Orcish Tyrant (Gains 6-3 Pierce Ranged at Level 4)
--Orcish Wild?--Orcish Savage--Orcish Fury (Stronger Attack, Charge, Less Hitpoints)
--Orcish Raider--Orcish Pillager (Less Hitpoints, Extra Move, Weak Ranged)

Orcish Archer--Orcish Crossbowman--Orcish Slurbowman--Orcish Slurbowmaster
--Orcish Sniper--Orcish Marksman--Orcish Sharpshooter (Less Hitpoints, Worse Melee, Better Ranged, gains Marksman at Level 3)

Knalgan Alliance

Dwarvish Fighter--Dwarvish Steelclad--Dwarvish Lord--Dwarvish King
--Dwarvish Firebrand--Dwarvish Firelord--Dwarvish Pyromaniac (Gets a Melee Fire Attack, but less Hitpoints)

Dwarvish Thunderer--Dwarvish Thunderguard--Dwarvish Dragonguard--Dwarvish Hellguard
--Dwarvish Venomguard--Dwarvish Hydraguard--Dwarvish Deathguard (Weaker Ranged, but with Poison Special)

Loyalists

Cavalryman--Dragoon--Cavalier--Grand Cavalier--Royal Cavalier
--Hussar--Grand Hussar--Royal Hussar (NO Ranged, better melee)

Spearman--Swordsman--Master Swordsman (Renamed Royal Guard)--Grand Swordsman--Royal Guard
--Pikeman--Halberdier--Grand Halberdier--Royal Halberdier
--Javelineer--Assaulter--Royal Assaulter

Fencer--Duelist--Master-at-Arms--Royal Arms Master
Last edited by Zigg on July 15th, 2009, 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Re: Expanded Branches Era

Post by Cloud »

Snakeguard isn't exactly a catching name, I'd at least make it Serpantguard. Even better would be something along the lines of a Hydraguard (in keeping with the mythical beasts theme) that has lower damamge but three shots (and possibly from the Thunderguard not Thunderer.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Ok.

Poisonguard--Hydraguard
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

Dwarvish Firebranch? Dwarvish Firebrand? I don't know, but Firewielder sounds kinda crude. Dwarvish Poisonguards also sound kinda weird... I think you should make up a different name other than Adjective-Guard. Dwarvish Venomtongue? Dwarvish Hydralisk? Wait... No, forget that last one. It's just that I never thought of Dwarves using poison, they are a more industrial, cave dwelling race. It'd be pretty cool if you could add in a spell-caster dwarf branch that uses electricity attacks, but I'm not sure if that would fit in.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Darkaros wrote:Dwarvish Firebranch? Dwarvish Firebrand?
Firebrand is good.
Darkaros wrote: I don't know, but Firewielder sounds kinda crude. Dwarvish Poisonguards also sound kinda weird...
I was half asleep when i wrote their names.
Darkaros wrote:I think you should make up a different name other than Adjective-Guard. Dwarvish Venomtongue? Dwarvish Hydralisk? Wait... No, forget that last one.
The X-Guard is to fit in with the Default Line. Venomguard sounds better than Poisonguard, so thanks for mentioning Venom.
Darkaros wrote:It's just that I never thought of Dwarves using poison, they are a more industrial, cave dwelling race.
I was going to put in the Description that they came across Poisons Underground, and used them sealed in Balls for their Venomsticks.
Darkaros wrote:It'd be pretty cool if you could add in a spell-caster dwarf branch that uses electricity attacks, but I'm not sure if that would fit in.
It wouldn't. It would be (like) an Archer into A Mage.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

this has been done before with the ukians.

the way i c it, ur planning on extending the trees for more lvl 4's and stuff. no. this is not an rpg. you could make an rpg era like this.

or maybe i just don't get it
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Edit Bump.

Added more Levels and Loyalists.
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

Thank you for this. I am about to get back into Wesnoth after a few years of not playing. The biggest complaint I had about the game back then was that level progression of units stopped for the most part at level three. There is little I enjoy more than leveling units, so being able to go to level five is a big deal for me.

(Any chance of levels six and seven, even if the boost is only minor? Any chance of elves?)

A question; is it possible to use mods like this with campaigns like the official ones, or do they only work with single maps? (Pardon the newbieness. I did play the game way back but don't remember much.)

Belay the last question, I just learned the answer (again). Such mods do 'not' work with any standard campaign, only 'multiplayer' single maps. I am again hugely disappointed. I may actually look into hacking game files myself to see if there is not some way I can 'break' the game with my own hack.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Panpiper wrote:A question; is it possible to use mods like this with campaigns like the official ones, or do they only work with single maps? (Pardon the newbieness. I did play the game way back but don't remember much.)

Belay the last question, I just learned the answer (again). Such mods do 'not' work with any standard campaign, only 'multiplayer' single maps. I am again hugely disappointed. I may actually look into hacking game files myself to see if there is not some way I can 'break' the game with my own hack.
actually such mods can be applied to campaigns made especially to use them. In fact most user-made campaigns use custom/modified units, factions, even whole eras.
It's quite easy to make changed to your default era which is used in mainline campaigns (though for recruitment most would require to modify the campaigns as well, also simple but more writing to do), but then any multiplayer gaming with whoever didn't make such changes will hate you...as will your coplayers probably.

if you really want to get extra upgrades for your core unit types, just copy some new unit cfg files into the data->core->units subdirectory and modify some advance_to= lines to the ID's of the new things
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

To alter the units recruited in mainline campaigns would require alterations to the campaign's configuration files, since those are where the recruit list is stored. Changing the recruit list WILL affect campaign balance. Just a friendly note. CHanging available levelling paths requires the changes suggested by StDrake, but you should be aware that making changes to core units is likely to cause Out-Of-Sync errors in MP.

There are some User-Made Eras which have campaigns attached to them (including, but by no means limted to Count Kromire (Era of Myths), Invasion from the Unknown (various, includes units from Extended Era, among others) and a couple of campaigns based on the Imperial Era), but you have to download those campaigns separately from the add-ons server
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

You might want to talk to Ancestral about "Ascension"
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26388
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

lotsofphil wrote:You might want to talk to Ancestral about "Ascension"
Yes, I found Ancestral's mod shortly after making the post here. I even posted to his mod's thread.