Return to Trent RPG (the long-awaited sequel to Fall of Trent)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Return to Trent RPG (the long-awaited sequel to Fall of Trent)

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Way back in 2006 I made a multiplayer scenario called Fall of Trent. It was my first attempt at making an add-on for Wesnoth and it was pretty basic, but it seemed to fill a niche and I sometimes see people playing it even after all this time. The scenario ended on a cliffhanger with a message that said: “to be continued”. Thus the story of Fall of Trent remained unfinished business... until now.

Return to Trent is a sequel that continues from where Fall of Trent left off, with players embarking on a journey to gather a ragtag army to retake the city.
After the sacking of Trent, the city's generals endeavour to rally an army and oust the orcish invaders. But where will they find allies willing to wage such a desperate war? And what secrets lie in wait within the walls of the conquered city?
Return to Trent can be played as a standalone quest or as part of a two-scenario campaign (though I expect the balancing will take some work). As with the others, it can be played with any era, but it’s designed to be used with Bob’s RPG Era.

I’ve kind of gone to town with all the WML tricks I’ve learned since I started making add-ons so there are lots of fun moments. The emphasis is on storytelling and player choices, in the style of a classic RPG. There are randomised elements and several A/B decisions which means you should be able to play it multiple times and still find new stuff.

I actually intended to release this a few years ago as a kind of ten year anniversary thing, but I got distracted by real life and forgot about it. Now, for obvious reasons, I’ve found myself with time on my hands so I decided to dig out the files and dust it off. Turns out the thing was about 90% finished anyway. I’m still putting the final touches together, but I would love some help testing it.

After fourteen years, Trent may soon be rescued...
Attachments
return-to-trent-screenshot.jpg
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
AnnieSpambot

Re: Return to Trent RPG (the long-awaited sequel to Fall of Trent)

Post by AnnieSpambot »

Well, about time too :)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

april-1-2020.png
april-1-2020.png (4.46 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

No joke! It's all done, polished and ready. Return to Trent is now on the adds-ons server for 1.14. Please let me know how you get on with this new adventure!
My current projects:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Code: Select all

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
    ~\Wesnoth1.14/data/add-ons/Return_To_Trent/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file 'BOB_CONDITION' is missing
    at ~add-ons/Return_To_Trent/_main.cfg:6749
While joining the mp server, this error message appeared.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks Konrad2. That macro is defined in Bob's RPG Era, so I guess I was always testing it while I had the era installed. Anyway, I've fixed it now and uploaded Return to Trent 0.2
My current projects:
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi Bob! Welcome back!

I am excited to play this game, and so 5 of us started one just now. Unfortunately, we could not get past turn 1 without OOS. I don't know if this is relevant, but it seems we get OOS as soon as p1 (me) gets the second cp bonus and starts to allocate it.

Please find a relevant save attached.

Thanks!
Attachments
5p - Return To Trent Turn 1.gz
(725.65 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
HonzaCZ

Post by HonzaCZ »

TheChosenOne wrote: April 10th, 2020, 6:09 pm Hi Bob! Welcome back!

I am excited to play this game, and so 5 of us started one just now. Unfortunately, we could not get past turn 1 without OOS. I don't know if this is relevant, but it seems we get OOS as soon as p1 (me) gets the second cp bonus and starts to allocate it.

Please find a relevant save attached.

Thanks!
haha thats me
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

I tried playing Fall of Trent instead but got the same OOS at around turn 3-4. I can confirm that everyone has the latest version, so maybe the error has to do with the era itself? It's strange...
---Konrad III

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I took a look at the savefile TheChosenOne uploaded. The error seems to be that for some reason the wesnoth client of side 5 seems to believe his leader had full movement at the beginning of his turn when he actually didn't.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

TheChosenOne wrote: April 10th, 2020, 6:09 pmI am excited to play this game, and so 5 of us started one just now. Unfortunately, we could not get past turn 1 without OOS. I don't know if this is relevant, but it seems we get OOS as soon as p1 (me) gets the second cp bonus and starts to allocate it.
Sorry to hear you couldn't play this. Were you the host? Which of the following did you have installed at the time: Return to Trent, Fall of Trent, Bob's RPG Era? If I know which add-ons you had installed I can check if there is conflicting code, though from what gfgtdf says it might be random glitch. Usually in MP it can be sorted if the player who experiences OOS just leaves and rejoins the game.
My current projects:
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: April 11th, 2020, 6:50 pm Sorry to hear you couldn't play this. Were you the host? Which of the following did you have installed at the time: Return to Trent, Fall of Trent, Bob's RPG Era? If I know which add-ons you had installed I can check if there is conflicting code, though from what gfgtdf says it might be random glitch. Usually in MP it can be sorted if the player who experiences OOS just leaves and rejoins the game.
but you shodul take care of which player leaves i'd really suggest something like a "democratic" decision,
if just one player get the OOS messsage he should, if all (but the currently playing player) get the message the currently playing player should rejoin.

recent investigations also show that i'm most of the cases faulty umc code in the played scenario/era is rarely the cause of the OOS, so i'd also try to be opbserveant which for example with which players you often get OOS, maybe they have configured wesnoth wrongly, use an outdated wesnoth version, have a faulty addon installed, or even try to cheat.

Last but not least removing control of another player can cause OOS, i really reccomend not to use :control to remove a player from control but instead just kick players, its just safer against OOS.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: April 11th, 2020, 6:50 pm
TheChosenOne wrote: April 10th, 2020, 6:09 pmI am excited to play this game, and so 5 of us started one just now. Unfortunately, we could not get past turn 1 without OOS. I don't know if this is relevant, but it seems we get OOS as soon as p1 (me) gets the second cp bonus and starts to allocate it.
Sorry to hear you couldn't play this. Were you the host? Which of the following did you have installed at the time: Return to Trent, Fall of Trent, Bob's RPG Era? If I know which add-ons you had installed I can check if there is conflicting code, though from what gfgtdf says it might be random glitch. Usually in MP it can be sorted if the player who experiences OOS just leaves and rejoins the game.
Hi Bob!

I was the host, and I have all three installed. In fact, I have all your add-ons installed, because they are that awesome!

We tried getting him to leave and rejoin, it does not solve the issue...
---Konrad III

HonzaCZ

Post by HonzaCZ »

I had outdated wesnoth version (1.14.4) which may be why we had OOS