Wesnoth 1.13.11 (1.14 Beta 3)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Wesnoth 1.13.11 (1.14 Beta 3)

Post by vultraz »

Wesnoth 1.13.11 (1.14 Beta 3) is out!

Screenshot

This is actually another beta release instead of the first of the release candidates as we had hoped. A rather serious issue cropped up in December, and we had to spend quite a while fixing it. We haven't been idle in that time, however! There have been dozens of bugs squashed and improvements made, and we hope you all continue to test and report back any issues you find.

We've also settled on a tentative date for the 1.14 and Steam releases: April 13th. There are still a ton of things to do, but we'll try our best to make that deadline. To that regard, a string freeze is in effect as of this release, meaning translators will have the next two months to work without strings changing all over the place. ;)

This release really should be the last beta. 1.13.12 is planned for mid-March and will be 1.14 RC1, so as much testing as possible is appreciated!

And finally, we also have a new, very high-resolution titlescreen background courtesy of LordBob! :D
  • Download and install, making sure to keep the latest stable release around in case the game breaks and you find yourself unable to get your daily fix of Wesnoth.
  • Playtest the game, try out some of the API additions for content creators, and write down your observations in a notebook or similar.
  • If you encounter issues, don’t panic; instead, grab some bug spray and protective gear, and head directly to our instructions for reporting bugs (we'll be updating this page in the coming days with new reporting protocols). Most importantly, keep in mind that we can’t know about any bugs you encounter unless you report them to us!
  • Near the end of the release notes below you will find a list of the most important bugs known at the time of release. Some items are due to be fixed in the next release, but for others we depend on contributed patches from volunteer coders like you! (If you are a coder, that is.)
  • Check our bug tracker for a full list of bugs and feature requests, including other bugs found after the release was published.
Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions in this release:
General
This is not a change, per se, but it is still relevant to players and content creators who regularly use our development releases.

As mentioned above, the stabilization phase of the development cycle begins with this release. In order to facilitate the process for everyone, this and future 1.13.x and 1.14.x versions will only include bug fixes and translation updates.

Feature freeze:
  • No more new features will be added, as this risks introducing new bugs or version incompatibilities affecting saved games, replays, and/or multiplayer games.
  • No (incompatible) changes or additions will be made to our WML and Lua APIs, allowing UMC maintainers to port their content from 1.12.x without having to worry about us breaking things behind their backs. Later, this will allow add-ons written for 1.14.x to reliably work with any version from the same stable series.
String freeze:
  • No major or unneeded changes or additions to strings — this allows translators to work on translating Wesnoth as fast as possible without their work being set back by changes in mainline, so that 1.14.0 can feature as many complete translations as possible for players across the globe.
  • File paths with backslashes are no longer accepted. Use forward slashes instead.
Known Issues
  • The game may crash at start or during the loading screen (#2507). If this happens just try again. If this keeps happening you can add disable_loadingscreen_animation=yes to your preferences file.
  • Pressing continue play too early after using the Back to Turn feature in networked MP might crash the game (#2508). It is recommended to only press continue play in networked MP after the replay reached the current state.
  • Depcheck prompts for era selection when selecting mods in SP. #2229
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • The game may crash when opening the file dialog.
General bugs:
  • The game can crash when planning recruits in Planning Mode.
  • Preprocessor errors corrupts cache (#1924). If this happens you have to wipe your cache. That can be done in Preferences->Cache.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #1260).
As is to be expected with development releases, there may be many, many more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including WML and Lua API additions for user-made content creators, translation updates, and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. If that seems too overwhelming, you might be glad to know we also provide an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant to the average player.

Do not be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then! Development versions are not the best for those in need of a stable gaming experience, who should stick to the current stable 1.12.x series instead. However, if you want to help us test what will eventually become the next stable 1.14.x series, you definitely should check out this release and report to us any problems you find so they can be fixed in a timely fashion. Content authors are also especially encouraged to port and test their content under new development versions to detect any problems with their add-ons or Wesnoth in advance.

Downloads
Source code (424.6 MB)
SHA256 sum: 69b43512d58b1930340896d2796f615a2f102bf9aace0c936253db56a9180799
Packages for Microsoft Windows and macOS are available:
Windows installer package (387.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: 9c281d37486de24b606a1aed7b3034d8796f22ce645d7bee843d63f89ccff053
macOS installer package (424.1 MB)
SHA256 sum: aa5cea07f6465bf5fa41736f22f3141ea7db3c88fd3c3b08bdc3aff0c9a0cff1
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.13.x is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other players running the latest development version.

The add-ons server for 1.13.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.0 and it serves all development releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We need your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.11 (1.14 Beta 3)

Post by octalot »

A couple of additions:
Deprecations and breaking changes
File names in add-ons are now case-sensitive on Windows. They were already case-sensitive on non-Windows, this ensures that a UMC author can't accidentally make an add-on that breaks on GNU/Linux and macOS.
Known issues newly introduced in 1.13.11
Legend of Wesmere has an unavoidable defeat at the start of turn 8 of scenario 3 (#2505, already fixed in trunk).
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great to see a new awesome improved wesnoth version and one more step towards 1.14!!! Congrats to the dev's and team who are all working hard :D
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

The new village terrain graphics macro for lighting the villages at night seems to be using exact schedule name(or id) to activate, can it be reworked to filter timeofday=chaotic instead ? as defining and using any custom schedule is going to break it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Eagle_11 wrote:The new village terrain graphics macro for lighting the villages at night seems to be using exact schedule name(or id) to activate, can it be reworked to filter timeofday=chaotic instead ? as defining and using any custom schedule is going to break it.
What do you mean by "break it"?
As for changing the filter:
1. some people will be upset if the lights are on all night
2. as far as I know, the list of IDs is the way it has to be done, at least for now. (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/TerrainGraphicsWML) If you feel strongly about it, you could make a feature request.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

I'm playing the campaign NORTHERN REBIRTH with BfW 1.13.11 for Windows, difficult level, and I have met some little drawbacks;
I,m not capable to use the appropriate github page so I report them here, I'm sorry :augh:

Scenario INFESTED CAVES

After Malifor is defeated appear this message:

Code: Select all

<Lua> repeated [endlevel] execution ignoring
Scenario OLD FRIEND

In the dialogues Rakshas has not his profile image but the orcish sovereign portrait

Scenario GET THE GOLD

When the orc leader is defeated appear this message:

<Lua error> game_error:invalid side (9) found in unit definition
stack traceback:
[C]: in field 'create unit'
lua/wml-tags.lua:839: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
lua/wml-flow.lua:200: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle event_commands'
lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
Scenario SHOWDOWN

Ro'Sothian is the leader of the south faction even if both Elenia and Eryssa are still alive (I'm not sure this is wrong :? )

My apologies for my english and for my ineptitude to use github
Last edited by Iris on February 25th, 2018, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [code] to fix an issue with a spurious tag
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

I'm looking into the NR bugs
Argesilao wrote: February 24th, 2018, 12:58 pm I'm playing the campaign NORTHERN REBIRTH with BfW 1.13.11 for Windows, difficult level, and I have met some little drawbacks;
I,m not capable to use the appropriate github page so I report them here, I'm sorry

Scenario INFESTED CAVES

After Malifor is defeated appear this message:

<Lua> repeated [endlevel] execution ignoring
Could you clarify this? Malifor is not in the S02_Infested_Caves scenario. I tried that one and S04_Clearing_the_Mines & S05aThe_Pursuit as well & I can't seem to reproduce this.

As for the other 3, I'll have fixes in for 1.13.12 and/or explanations/workarounds for 1.13.11 for them in the next few days
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

Ops, I confused the caves, are all so dark. :doh:

The right scenario was CLEARING THE MINES not INFESTED CAVES.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've noticed an error with the mountain transitions, which was also present on 1.13.10.

Seems to only affect this particular arrangement of mountains, i.e. a four-hex diamond shape. There are two transitions used for these mountains, one with a peak and one with a valley. It's the latter that is broken; the middle two hexes don't show (or sometimes show but glitch out). But, as you can see, not every 'valley' transition is affected.
Attachments
mountain-glitch.jpg
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

@Argesilao

The NR Clearing the Mines bug I can't figure out how to reproduce, as there's only one [endlevel] tag in the codepath for when Malifor is killed. So until there's a way to reproduce it, I won't be able to do anything with it.

The portrait bug will be fixed for 1.13.12

for Scenario GET THE GOLD
the cause is the following lines.

# Make veteran elves available for the Elf side in Showdown.
        {MODIFY_UNIT (side=2) side 9}
if you want to fix your copy before 1.13.12 comes out, just change the 9 to a 5
(\data\campaigns\Northern_Rebirth\scenarios\12a_Get_the_Gold.cfg approx line 569 near the end of the file)
and then restart the scenario.

That bug caused code after it to not run, and that caused the final bug that you reported for S13a Showdown.

These will be fixed for 1.13.12 as well.
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

@SigurdFireDragon

In the next days I'll try to play again the scenario CLEARING THE MINES, to see if the error message appear again; eventually I can try to post a game saved just before the Malifor defeat; can be useful?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

@Argesilao

A save might be useful, though I wouldn't worry about it too much, that bug doesn't affect gameplay. Also, do you have any modifications running along with the campaign? If so, it is possible one of them might be causing the issue.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I can't reproduce the mountain terrain issue Bob_the_mighty reported :/
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, I can't reproduce it either. Can you attach a map you can reproduce it with?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Here's a map file with several instances picked out. Now that I've tried to reproduce it again I think it might only affect dry mountain (Md).
Attachments
mountain-bug.map
(6.26 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves