Scenario 19a: Snow Plains

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordWolfDan

Re: Scenario 19b: Snow Plains

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Beginner

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Easy, kill the orc and find the sword (optional)

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- There wasn't too much dialogue, yet I liked by now how determined Konrad is to avenge his slain family and relatives

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- Making it through the snow

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Having an additional enemy, with my encampment being placed in the middle while the other enemy could be at southwest. Definitely much more challenging scenario
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Scenario 19a: Snow Plains

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.1, Champion (Challenging)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

None.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-
Attachments
HttT-Snow Plains replay.gz
(48.38 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Zrevnur

Re: Scenario 19a: Snow Plains

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:07 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9 Challenging (in Ironman mode), played once
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:07 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2, Orcs being very slow in the snow makes the AI too easy.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:07 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
It should be made more clear who can pick up the sword and what it does. I didnt understand the fluff description. Nor do I understand why only the leader of an army can pick it up.
cannot_use_message= _ "Only the leader of an army can wield this sword!"
[filter]
type=Fighter,Commander,Lord,Princess,Battle Princess,Elvish Captain,Elvish Hero,Elvish Marshal,Elvish Champion,Paladin,Elvish Lord,Elvish High Lord
x,y={X},{Y}
[/filter]
Since when is an 'Elvish Hero' "the leader of an army"?
I also was under the (false) assumption it would give an additional melee attack - similar to how the trident gives an additional (ranged) attack. It would help if the description before picking it up would say what it actually does.
(I would have brought a Dwarf Lord if I would have known what it does. But can a Dwarf Lord pick it up? Does the name have to fit fully? If not why is an 'Elvish Hero' "the leader of an army" but a 'Dwarf Lord' not?)
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:07 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear enough except for the points under 3) and the tone of Lisar seems inconsistent with earlier Lisar. I dont know if this should be attributed to earlier scenario/s or this one.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:07 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Picking up the sword and how it works - see above.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:07 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:07 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
There is a reward inequality with the other branches. I did not know that. I would have picked one of the other branches if I would have known. This could be fixed by making the rewards more equal. Note here that defensive buffs are much better than similar offensive buffs due to the way the AI plays, the campaign logic and the way how randomness in Wesnoth works.
Somewhat tangential but also somewhat relevant here: There is also the additional problem that too much offense can be fatal due to suicide chaining. Optimally this part however should be fixed by making suicide chaining impossible. I do not think its a good feature. Fluff-wise it makes no sense at all. If 5 zombies charge my Knight and get killed the 6th wouldnt even be able to get over the pile of bodies in the way. And fluff-wise it makes no sense that a wimpy mage is better at holding off zombie hordes than an armored knight.
Attachments
HttT-Snow Plains replay.gz
(64.55 KiB) Downloaded 76 times