1.9 SP Campaign - Sweet Revenge

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bigkahuna

1.9 SP Campaign - Sweet Revenge

Post by bigkahuna »

EDIT: Ceres is now the official maintainer of Sweet Revenge.

Currently, 14 (two of which are talk) scenarios are done. The campaign is complete except for balancing and such. As it is a work in progress, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bug reports, random thoughts, code or text revisions and other stuff should go here.

Go here for general feedback: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32990

I hope you enjoy your Sweet Revenge!

NOTE: This campaign is available on the 1.9 download server, and 1.0.1+ is only compatible with 1.9.4
Changelog
1.0.2 - 03/04/13: bugs fixed, playable on v1.10 of Wesnoth.
1.0.0 - 02/01/11: delayed for a while, but finally considered complete.
0.6.0 - 1/17/11: final scenario and epilogue, miscellanous changes.
0.5.0 - 1/13/11: miscellanous bugfixes, new branching 13th scenario.
0.4.0: 1/01/11: slew of bugfixes, code cleanups, and a new 12th scenario.
0.3.0: 12/22/10: bugfixes, changes to 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th scenario, got rid of global variable reliances, 11th scenario.
0.2.0 - 12/19/10: massive changes to 4th scenario, new 9th and 10th scenarios, fixed 9th scenario, huge code cleanups.
0.1.0 - 12/10/10: added an 8th scenario, miscellanous bugfixes.
0.0.5 - 12/08/10: first scenario difficulty, balancing, map changes; switched around order of scenarios for storyline and boredom issues, fixed showstopping errors, miscellanous bugfixes.
0.0.1 - 12/07/10: first release with 7 scenarios.
Last edited by bigkahuna on May 5th, 2013, 1:50 am, edited 32 times in total.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sweet Revenge Development Thread

Post by artisticdude »

I'm playing the campaign right now, but I wanted to point out that there is no icon for the campaign on the server, just a blank space where the icon should be. I assume that wasn't intentional?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Well that was fast. Your right, that wasn't intentional. I had the computer path right but not the wesnoth one. Should be fine now, thanks.
Join the new R2D forum!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

er

Can't start and can't do my usual fiddle-to-start because NEW:WALL isn't in my antique 1.9.1 and I don't know what it does.

Besides, you forgot to mention in the credits Tet's temple(?) and the creator of some miscellaneous portraits. Unless you made them yourself?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Reepurr wrote:Besides, you forgot to mention in the credits Tet's temple(?) and the creator of some miscellaneous portraits. Unless you made them yourself?
The portraits are mainline placeholders. I don't think they need a spot in the credits.

About the NEW:WALL - Sorry :oops: I thought that was 1.9... I'm going to trash the terrain anyway, as it isn't needed for this campaign. I got permission to use it, so I'll store it for another time. Download it again; it should work now.
Join the new R2D forum!
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Code: Select all

20101207 22:46:19 error general: The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:/Users/.../userdata/data/add-ons/Sweet_Revenge/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Macro/file '_MEDIUM' is missing at ~add-ons/Sweet_Revenge/utils/util-macros.cfg:216 included from ~add-ons/Sweet_Revenge/_main.cfg:65 included from ~add-ons/Sweet_Revenge/scenarios/00_EndA.cfg:490 included from ~add-ons/Sweet_Revenge/_main.cfg:66
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

:hmm: I have no idea why it works for me but not for others. Thanks for the error report. Fixed. Hopefully there are no others :|

Download again to get it working. Now all I need is some actual feedback :wink:

EDIT: Version 0.0.2 is out, tested. I have fixed all show-stopping errors, meaning you can finally play the first scenario :lol2:

Yes, this means you must update the campaign.

I also shortened the longest animation by 4, because it was blowing up my PC for some reason. Enjoy!
Join the new R2D forum!
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Scenario 1:
Unnecessary large battlefield and amount of belligerents for my tastes. Bad placement of keeps (dwarves' especially): Units spend too long time to just move to combat lines -> results: no action in first 5 turns; watching AI move for, like, 20 seconds in 4x accelerated speed.
Why I oughta protect catapults? I dont have motivation to do that, especially when they are doing nothing.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Neuromancer wrote:Unnecessarily large battlefield and amount of belligerence for my taste. Bad placement of keeps (dwarve's especially).
Yeah, perhaps I do need to move the keeps a bit closer. The point was to give the player some time to get combat ready and start moving the dwarves to the catapults before the siege started.
Neuromancer wrote:Units spend too long time to just move to combat lines; this means no action in the first 5 turns and watching the AI move for about 20 seconds in 4x accelerated speed.
The AI moves I can't help; there are plenty of mainline sieges with the same amount of recruiting and moving. Maybe for the first few turns turn off AI turns in Preferences?
Neuromancer wrote:Why should I protect catapults? I dont have any motivation to do that, especially when they aren't doing anything.
Spoiler:
EDIT: Uploaded. I moved the keeps a bit closer.
Join the new R2D forum!
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

bigkahuna wrote: Yeah, perhaps I do need to move the keeps a bit closer. The point was to give the player some time to get combat ready and start moving the dwarves to the catapults before the siege started.
Maybe better solution would be to move catapult making site closer to dwarvish keep?
bigkahuna wrote:
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, hero tells me only someting like "Protect the catapults because they are important.". What if hero would say "Repair the catapults and then you can shoot with them and do some nice damage!"?

Edit: In scenario 1, I would give defenders more gold. Also, when hero announces he has some gold reserves, it wont help, because I had something like -200 gold already... I made it to scenario 2 with help of some armageddon drakes, but when it become clear it is the same siege, I turned it off. I'd designed some "leisuring" scenario instead. Of course, this feedback is from player who likes more campaigns with little units than those with large armies, but I hope it is still helpful.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Neuromancer wrote:Maybe better solution would be to move catapult making site closer to dwarvish keep?
Already done, other way around.
Neuromancer wrote:Edit: In scenario 1, I would give defenders more gold.
As in your player? What difficulty level were you playing on? You do realize this is a survival scenario and not a you-have-to-beat-the-enemy-leaders, right? About what time did you lose your gold and what odds did you have?
Neuromancer wrote:I made it to scenario 2 with help of some armageddon drakes
Debugging in units doesn't help feedback much :lol2:
Neuromancer wrote:when it become clear it is the same siege, I turned it off.
It is the same siege, but you can play the other side with COMPLETELY different mechanics. What do you suggest? Should I change the order of the scenarios so you don't have them back to back?

EDIT: The gold is on a scale from +350 on easy, and +1000 on hard. In LoW, the siege scenario has +500 on easy, and +2000 on hard. I think that my scenario is beatable. I'll give a bit more reserve gold a bit earlier on, though.
Join the new R2D forum!
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

bigkahuna wrote: As in your player? What difficulty level were you playing on? You do realize this is a survival scenario and not a you-have-to-beat-the-enemy-leaders, right? About what time did you lose your gold and what odds did you have?
I played normal, in beginning I stationed defenses on shores and didn't move them into offense. In evening I have to call some reinforcements :D I was hopelessly swarmed.
bigkahuna wrote: It is the same siege, but you can play the other side with COMPLETELY different mechanics. What do you suggest? Should I change the order of the scenarios so you don't have them back to back?
Yes I know, but that are two scenarios on large map with plenthora of units right one after another. I advocate "interest curve" opinion: After one hard, long scenario there should be one less tough, with fewer units and so on.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Neuromancer wrote:I was hopelessly swarmed.
Fair enough. I gave the player some more bonus gold sooner, if I have more complaints I'll change it around again.
Neuromancer wrote:I advocate "interest curve" opinion: After one hard, long scenario there should be one less tough, with fewer units and so on.
Well, you sure got that. I changed the order of scenarios some. Might need to do it again, but for now it'll do.
Join the new R2D forum!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Some bug reports:
1. if the messenger is supposed to go to Carcyn, he should be removed from the map after going to the southern end of road.
2. in the time between firing the catapult and killing the target (3-4 sec) you can fire again. That's not that bad, you can rechoose your target if you misclicked. But after killing a target, the impact anim fires for every other target you chose before, without killing it
3. the catapult firing seems only to work with a unit of side 2, not with any unit. If it is right like this, you should change the "move ANY unit next to the catapult"

I'm in the first scenario now, and it's quite fun. But i didn't realized that the gold bonus on turn 10was also given to the enemies. Suddenly they started to recruit again, and I got seriously outnumbered (especially because all units of mine were standing in front of the enemy's keeps)

Nevertheless, keep up the good work :)
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Ceres wrote:3. the catapult firing seems only to work with a unit of side 2, not with any unit. If it is right like this, you should change the "move ANY unit next to the catapult"
No, you misunderstood. It only works if you move ANY unit next to a repaired catapult. Currently the only difference between a normal and repaired catapult is the name, attacks, and stats, but I'll work on the sprite later.
Ceres wrote:But i didn't realized that the gold bonus on turn 10was also given to the enemies.
Yeah, I didn't want to make it too easy... I am giving them LESS gold MORE OFTEN to better distribute the difficulty.

Thanks for your feedback! What did you think of the catapults in general?
Join the new R2D forum!