RNG is not seeded randomly

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:

RNG is not seeded randomly

Postby SlowThinker » November 3rd, 2012, 11:18 pm

in consequent games, 'random_seed' may be fixed to 1 (it may be fixed to another low number too).

Several people reported they didn't get random game starts with scenarios that depend on 'random_seed' (Conquest Minus scenarios). I checked their savefiles and found random_seed=1 (or another 1-digit number).

It looks this problem happens with some systems only.
In games hosted on my computer I see that random_seed is always 4-5 digit number (so it looks like a 2-byte value), and so I never get this bug.
Contrariwise, some people complained they never got a random game start in games they hosted (for example this player: viewtopic.php?p=540784#p540784 ).

The mentioned problems happened with Wesnoth 1.10. I remember that once this behaviour has been reported with Wesnoth 1.9 too, but I don't know the value of 'random_seed'.

Two affected savefiles are attached (both for 1.10).

(Hint: Checking values of 'random_seed' of running games on the server and querying hosting players about their systems might help to determine the problem ...)
(169.62 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
(170.4 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by SlowThinker on November 4th, 2012, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums

Re: RNG is not seeded randomly

Postby Max » November 4th, 2012, 9:34 am

Forum Regular

Re: RNG is not seeded randomly

Postby SlowThinker » November 4th, 2012, 11:26 am

It is possible the bug was introduced in 1.10.1:
(And I take back my words that the bug happened with 1.9 too, in fact it was next report which I had in my mind)

Return to Technical Support