Several questions regarding AMLAs

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Eagle_11

Several questions regarding AMLAs

Post by Eagle_11 »

1. Can an AMLA bestow an additional trait to the unit when taken ?
2. Can an AMLA be displayed only if unit has an certain trait ?
3. a. For an unit to get 3 AMLA options on levelup and then advance into its next form anyways upon choosing one of those how should this be setup ?
b. Would the AMLAs on the unit get lost upon leveling up to another unit ?
Samonella

Re: Several questions regarding AMLAs

Post by Samonella »

There probably are simpler solutions, but here are my first thoughts:
Eagle_11 wrote:1. Can an AMLA bestow an additional trait to the unit when taken ?
Doesn't look like it's possible to do it directly from [effect] but if worst came to worst you could always set some temporary attribute, for example a dummy ability, then check for that ability in a post advance event. From there you can definitely add the trait somehow... I think there's an easy way, but if worst came to worst, store the unit as a variable and hack the trait in.
Eagle_11 wrote:2. Can an AMLA be displayed only if unit has an certain trait ?
You can't filter for it directly but in 1.13 you could use an event to check for the trait whenever that type of unit is created, and add the advancement via [effect] then.
Eagle_11 wrote:3. a. For an unit to get 3 AMLA options on levelup and then advance into its next form anyways upon choosing one of those how should this be setup ?
Again, all I can come up with is an event based solution... :roll: Use advance events to count how many times the unit levels up (store the count in $$unit.id|_advance_count| or something like that) and when it's high enough use [effect]s to remove AMLAs and add the new unit type. Course, that would mean the new unit type doesn't show up in the help encyclopedia.
Eagle_11 wrote:b. Would the AMLAs on the unit get lost upon leveling up to another unit ?
Not sure but I think so? It wouldn't be hard to test.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Several questions regarding AMLAs

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

AMLAs would not get lost when levelling up to a different unit type (unless of course the effects of the AMLA could not be applied to the new unit type - for example, if it only upgraded blade attacks and the new unit type had changed to a pierce attack).

For question 3, you could probably add an [effect] to your AMLA that changes the unit to its upgraded type. Not sure if that could be generalized in a way that would work on any unit type, though.

Adding a trait is definitely not possible; filtering for a trait should be possible, but I can't remember if it's already possible or if it was something I had been thinking of implementing.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.