The Stone of the North [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

The Stone of the North [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

The Underness Series - for Battle For Wesnoth 1.12 only!
Part I: The Desolation of Karlag
Part II: The Blind Sentinel
Part III: The Stone of the North - You are here -
Part IV: The Invasion of the Western Cavalry
Part V: Fingerbone of Destiny

The Stone of the North is the sequel to the The Blind Sentinel campaign, now published.

Main new features:
- Stronghold game mode (present on first map, can be skipped if you don't like it. :) Read more in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
- Vast number of Optional Objectives
- Evaluating player efficiency at the end of the campaign, and recieving a decent rating :) For formula, see the spoiler.
Spoiler:
- The return of the successful corpses-left-behind-on-battlefield, bloody scenes, and soldiers' voices.

Aimed for experts, 3 difficulties: Standard, Taxing, Mayhem.

Available translations:
- japanese (full)

You may not understand the whole story without completing The Blind Sentinel! A summary is now added at the beginning though, so that if you don't want to play the previous chapter, you don't have to.

Latest available version: 1.2.9
Upcoming: upon request

Thank you for playing this campaign,
WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on October 3rd, 2016, 5:24 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
sreesreearul

Re: The Stone of the North [Feedback and development]

Post by sreesreearul »

The scenario 'seeking shelter' ended without me completeing the winning criteria, infact I won when one of my unit stepped out of the keep.

XP bar of primates and Derryus(at level 3) are bugged. One they don't appear and overshoots the limit with no apparent implications.( HP doesn't resets, no levelling up...)

Lady Lorna's gameplay image is missing.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi, thanks for indicating. All bugs have been fixed, see details:
Spoiler:
Uploaded 1.1.2beta
- fixed bugs
- added summary

EDITED:
Sorry for messing up, I brought about a game-crash bug, but fixed it immediately :D Hope none updated yet.
1.1.3beta
- fixed game-crash causeing missing macro

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Hey,
Finished playing. Nice campaign. Came across few hiccups though.
1. Death of Ralle and the old mage(forgot his name) in few scenarios didn't result in me loosing .
I played again and hence don't know how it may affect later scenarios, and don't know what effect death of others have(Nobody ever died).
2. I had no blood bat in army, but a blood bat did the talking with the dwarves when I met them first time.
Spoiler:
3. The tomb of kalgan turned out to be too lengthy, had to play a second time, avoiding all traps. Even then I used the shortcut dunno how long the other would have taken. Except for the mage none of my heroes were any good against ghosts. (Well they may not die fighting, but one turn kill is seldom possible and hence bothersome. Coupled with traps it's just so hard to finsih in time even in easy.) Will be good if few recruits are possible. Did I miss something on that regard.? :hmm:
4. Your calculator told me I did only 3 sidequests. But I think I did 5.
Spoiler:
Hope another one is coming soon. The reference at the end?, Is it to westeren cavalry. But isn't it there already I remember playing long back, that too was really good!
Best
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Wow, thanks for the thorough and quick feedback :)
I'll try to fix all of the bugs asap.

Well, I don't know about the next sequel.:
Spoiler:
The Tomb of Karlag definitely needs some replanning and balancing, that's for sure. :)

The calculator may have escaped sidequests, I'm not sure, I'll check on it.
Spoiler:
Best regards,
WhiteWolf
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

:)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sorry for the delay, I had to focus on some Blind Sentinel issues.

Fixed all death events, Raelle was buggy, and Mord's was missing.
Calculator missed all sidequests on maps 1-9 because of a typo in the variable name...fixed.

There were some nasty things going on in the Tomb of Karlag. I don't want to allow a recruit because that is supposed to be an RPG map. Maybe recruit for one turn, then delete caste...I have to sleep on this. For now, I buffed the Giant Rat, and in return buffed the attack of Lorna (changed type from cold to fire, which is 40% more effective against ghosts). In this case:
Spoiler:
Uploaded 1.1.4, with the fixes above.

Forging will be delayed. Works and everything, but it's long typing-work....:) Will be finished surely, but I don't know when.

For the talking units, better sounds from freesounds.org will be used, but I need Audacity to cut them for proper length which I don't have here at the moment, this is going to be done in a few days, probably in the weekend.

Decision about sequels:
Spoiler:
Regards,
WhiteWolf
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

WhiteWolf wrote:
Spoiler:
WhiteWolf
That happened with me. So played again. :P
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hi. I found some bugs (version 1.1.4). i didn't finish campaign, though.
Podrick is really a hard-luck guy... :(

- i met an error of "Unknown scenario: '13_Cave'". pls fix... :augh:
- optional objective in Seeking Shelter cannot be activated due to typo in storing location to var mushroom. (x,y=$x1,$1 should be x,y=$x1,$y1)
- and also in Seeking Shelter, undead sides fight against each other. Is this a bug?
- in Tomb of Karlag, the bat can be duplicated if shortcut is used. (a bat brought the other bat to the coffins in my play. i was really confused.) :shock:

(i avoid unknown scenario bug above by manually modifying the scenario, tentatively.)
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

I finished the campaign. The story is nice, too! Thank you for creating this campaign. :D
Though, sorry to bother you, i found some bugs... :(

critical
- on Eastern Dwarves, Dwarvish Guard in the recruit list should be Dwarvish Guardsman; this causes a crash

maybe bug
- typo in advances_to of Runemaster.cfg; they cannot advance
- on Eastern Dwarves, "sighted" event of dwarves might happen when troll-side unit sights a dwarf.
- optional objective (OO) in Drake Volcano can be triggered, but cannot be completed. "die" event does not work.
- OO in Magical Gate was not triggered. i do not know why...
- turn limit in The Stonesmith maybe unnecessary

just an opinion
Spoiler:
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed feedbacks. With the schoolyear here, my maintainer work is going to be a bit slower, sorry in advance.
I'll try to fix the game-crash bug tomorrow asap, and do the smoothing, balancing, and other stuff in the week.

Glad you like it despite the bugs :)
Best regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded 1.1.5beta
- fixed all that could be fixed quickly:
- fixed the game-crash bug
- fixed untriggering and/or uncompletable OO's.
- added a better clue for OO in the Conquered Halls
- fixed Runesmith
- deleted unneccessary turn limits
- modified burned bodies spawning to Bat or Giant Rat. Makes it a bit more fair, but still needs balancing, which comes later.
- Finished unit voices, and added it. Voices are set to 'on' automatically, but can be set to 'off' manually by right-click, then selecting Sounds setup.

The balancing patch will come sometime this week.

EDIT:
Missed the unkown scenario Cave bug, sorry.
Uploaded 1.1.6 quickly, and fixed it. Also fixed typo of OO in Seeking the Shelter.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
regnak

Post by regnak »

What is with the lack of gold carryover? At the end of each scenario I am told I will get the carryover amount for example 153 gold or the minimum whichever is more. the minimum is 190 so no carryover at all. This lack of carryover made the haunted Forest a long grueling scenario that was very little fun and a lot of aggravation for me. I hope this isn't what you intended with the lack of carryover.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Well have played through the Stone of the North and the scenarios have been much better and the storyline is developing nicely. :mrgreen:
regnak

Post by regnak »

Finished the Evil Clans, those guys are idiots

Spoiler: