The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Post by WhiteWolf »

The Underness Series - for Battle For Wesnoth 1.12 only!
Part I.: The Desolation of Karlag
Part II: The Blind Sentinel - You are here -
Part III: The Stone of the North
Part IV: The Invasion of the Western Cavalry
Part V: Fingerbone of Destiny

Campaign now completed. The story continues in The Stone of the North!

- Did you ever want to raise your soldiers on the battlefield, or punish those you are angry with by stripping them of their ranks?
- Did you ever wonder, what Wesnoth would sound like with soldiers literraly, "talking" to you, when you select them?
- Did you ever want to see a trebuchet in action? See Wesnoth's ranged attack truly ranged? As you select the catapult on one bank of the river, and without moving, blowing the fortress's wall into pieces on the other bank?
- Did you want to see the Battlships of Wesnoth in action again?
- Or do you want to see the corpses left behind on the battlefields return?

With The Blind Sentinel, you may try all these!

Story:
Spoiler:
  • Difficulty:
- Meant for experienced intermediate players, or experts
- Levels: Normal, Hard, Absurdity
  • Maps:
- 27 playable maps

Gameplay features
Spoiler:

Latest available version: 1.4.13, finished.
Upcoming: - Upon bug reports

Available translations
- Japanese (full)
- Hungarian (very expired)
Any translators are welcome :)
Note: If you'd like to participate in translating work but don't know how to, feel free to pm me, and I'll gladly help.

Dependencies
- Underness Music Pack (additional music, download if you don't want silence on many maps :) They are apart, so that other campaign designers may use it at their will)
- Up until 1.4.10 it's crash-neccessary to have it. From 1.4.11 it is not.
Spoiler:
The Blind Sentinel II - the Stone of the North campaign now published!
Do you want to know, what happened after this vast invasion?
Play The Stone of the North now! :)

Best wishes, thank you for playing The Blind Sentinel
WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on October 3rd, 2016, 5:21 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
ydcl

Re: The Blind Sentinel [Feedback and development topic]

Post by ydcl »

I really think the AI, in the second scenario didn't play properly. The guards didn't move and all the magicians, still in the south wall, which is useless. How did you expect, to win this scenario without help and properly units ?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The AI does play properly. It is true, that me, and also my first tester noted, that the AI should move its southern units, but turned out that it is not neccessary. The map can be won.
The units's spawn is randomised, so it is possible, that you will get only mages there.

Though it is true, that there are two "forgotten" units, two Swordsman. The patrolling was tested on that map, and I forgot to delete them later. :? It should be easier for them, when the new version comes, in a few days. Perhaps it will be easier than.
The southern units will be reconsidered.

WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

As my thought, do this map with only percing units, is quie dificult and cost a lot.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Hm, very well-presented and intriguing announcement post. I'm tempted to give it a go, but we'll see if I have time in the next couple days. School starts this week. :(
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,

Updated to 1.1.2. Changes:
- map2: guards no longer spawn into recruiting castle
- finished the game
- deleted bonus map code

ydc, which map are you talking about? If the second, that it should be solved now :) made it easier just a little bit, and you can also recruit Mages for that scenario, that should do the trick. :)

Captain_Wrathbow, that is exactly why I would like to receive the most feedback now, because with school, the developpment will also come to a reeealy long pause :?

WhiteWolf
zhun-ji

Post by zhun-ji »

hi, haven't played the one scenario yet, but in 'on northern roads' i suspect a recall error, because the hero talks to himself only, the other are not recalled automatically
also, on the recall list there was only one unit left from 2 scenarios before (the one exactly before was the 'sack of prestum [sic]') with the brother...
can you please look into it? thanks in advance :)
Strahd

Post by Strahd »

Hi WhiteWolf,

i'm still playing your new campaign und i'll give you some feedback.
First, i think the campaign is often a bit unbalanced, i'm playing on the hardest level and find it relative easy until now, i've not finished it yet.
On the most campaigns the hardest level is really hard^^
There is a little bug on the human healer and Lady Lovissa. They can not be leveled up anymore until they've reached the second level. The experience bar in the map is missing and as example Lady Lovissa has got 75/50 experience points but didn't reach level 3.

To the second map: i did it without mages and it was no real problem i will better take it into a spoiler.
Spoiler:
Okay then, the Scenario "Welcome to the North" is a bit weird.
At the beginning i saw a huge enemy base in the fog, so i thought it's better to recall as much troops as i can. But when i arrived there, i killed only about 6-8 enemys and that was it? Seemed a bit empty this map.
Indeed i saw some of the ememy fighters were killed from ghosts and wolfs this map seemed really a bit unfinished.

Then the next scenario "The Desert of the Death".
The skeleton ghosts really bugged me a bit. If i wouldn't have had a elfen baron who can do magical attacks, this enemies would have been really got on my nerves.
Now there will be some mages from the second map, so it will be easier. When i was in the middle of the map the scenario was won because the enemy leader was killed from a ghost or wolf. That was luck for me but i don't think you intended this and maybe you should try to avoid that this is possible.

If you like to i'll will give you some more feedback when i've finished the campaign.
Excuse me for some mistakes, english is not my native language.

Best regards,
Strahd
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,

Since the bugs are not game-crashing, they will only be fixed later on :(
Balancing has always been my primary problem. I'll also try to fix that thing, that enemy gets killed by monsers.

Sorry for slow answering, and slow developping, with school year upon me, Wesnoth receives extremely little time :(

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Njord

Post by Njord »

I enjoyed the campaign as far as I got, but was stopped cold at the Sack of Prestum. Maybe the objective could be a little more clearly stated. I assumed by 'occupying' the town and surroundings it meant capture all the villages. The best I could do was:
1) hold off the hoards of 0 fighters by placing several fighters at the top of the ramp they pour out of.
2) occupy 164/164 villages (all the ones I could see - I never got further than the top of the ramp. And I bypassed the squad of enemies just outside the gates at the lower left.
3) killed off all the enemies (except those noted above) that were in the inside part of the cities.

I don't know if I could go thru that scenario again, it was so arduous. But, I would have liked to have seen what's coming up.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

It's true, that that map remained untested. Will see to it soon, probably at the weekend.
I also found a bug at a later map while revising. Game-crash bug :( They will be fixed, and updated soon.

Until then :hmm: type :debug, then :n and jump Prestum. Can't say anything better for now. Sorry.

WhiteWolf
chip56

Post by chip56 »

Well I liked it but a couple of things:
You couldn't promote some units. The surviving loyal units from the first map for example. Not sure if this some kind of balance for those loyal units or a bug. If its for balance reasons perhaps those units should be named freelancer or somehow to show that those cant be promoted.
Even though you are a captain you can promote units over this level. Seems a bit odd.
The new wall seems to be a somewhat unfinished scenario as already pointed out
the objective in sack of prestum is really misleading. It should be changed to simple say that you have to kill the enemy leader
Also I couldn't figure out what good the catapults are? They just randomly fired somewhere in the next turn and always killing the unit manning it. Seemed pretty much like a great way to waste units for nothing. If there is some trick I missed it should be made clearer the first time you man a catapult.
After the sack of prestum I lost all my units in my recall list (exept for 1 lone archer?). That's where I stopped playing since I even lost the story relevant chars.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded a quick new snapshot, 1.1.3beta. The rebalancing and correcting are still going on. Some things are better now though.

The catapults have been tested, but I'll flick through them once again. There will also be a narrator's message, where their proper usage is explained. (Sorry for omitting it this far).

You're right, the recalled units' promotionability has truly been forgotten :augh: That will be fixed soon.

Well, the rank system has been written a bit oddly, that's the cause of this odd logic :hmm: If it will be reconsidered, that will only happen later.

Sorry for the slow work, I can only work on weekends.
Best regards,
WhiteWolf
MamboCalamari

Post by MamboCalamari »

During "The Old Wall" scenario, I'm getting an error that says Orcish Grunt2 is an unknown unit type. Error message: Condition 'enemy_info' failed at /build/buildd/wesnoth-1.10-1.10.2/src/ai/default/ai.cpp:415 in function 'get_combat_score_vs'
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Okay, thanks. By tomorrow, it will have been fixed, hopefully. If I can't make it, with a day's delay.
The new snapshot is bound to be uploaded anyway :)

WhiteWolf