Campaign By_The_Sword for wesnoth 1.8.6 broken

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
cdiem
Posts: 5
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 3:00 pm

Campaign By_The_Sword for wesnoth 1.8.6 broken

Post by cdiem » October 8th, 2011, 5:33 pm

The campaign "By The Sword" (http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.6/By_ ... rd.tar.bz2) was a campaign I was very fond of in the 1.6 version of Wesnoth; however, it's not possible running it on the current stable version. On v.1.8.6 it doesn't load, failing with an error

Unknown scenario: '01_Orcish_Invasion'

I have tried messing with the campaign files in order to fix it, but I wasn't able to fix it. Any help will be appreciated for making it possible to run this campaign on the 1.8 branch. Thank you!

monochromatic
Posts: 1549
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:45 am

Re: Campaign By_The_Sword for wesnoth 1.8.6 broken

Post by monochromatic » October 8th, 2011, 5:43 pm

Ah.. Good times, good times.
You're probably better off playing LoW. BtS was never intended to be anything special. And LoW basically is similar.

Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer
Posts: 165
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 6:19 am
Contact:

Re: Campaign By_The_Sword for wesnoth 1.8.6 broken

Post by Groggy_Dice » October 10th, 2011, 7:55 am

cdiem wrote:The campaign "By The Sword" (http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.6/By_ ... rd.tar.bz2) was a campaign I was very fond of in the 1.6 version of Wesnoth; however, it's not possible running it on the current stable version. On v.1.8.6 it doesn't load, failing with an error

Unknown scenario: '01_Orcish_Invasion'
Are you getting this error with the original 1.6 tar.bz2 file, or the zip file I attached in the other thread? The file up on the server is still the 1.6 version. The version that I ran through wmllint, I compressed into a zip file, and put it into my other post as an attachment. An add-on for one Wesnoth version will not work on another one; that's why they're segregated by version.

If your post is based on the 1.6 file: when I wrote, "When you run into a problem, open up a thread...", I didn't mean problems you are already getting with the 1.6 file, but problems that you run into with MY ZIP FILE.
cdiem wrote:I have tried messing with the campaign files in order to fix it, but I wasn't able to fix it. Any help will be appreciated for making it possible to run this campaign on the 1.8 branch. Thank you!
I don't know what "messing" you did, but it ought to involve running wmllint. Almost always, a 1.6 campaign will boot into the first scenario after running wmllint. You will also have to change the paths from data/campaigns to data/add-ons. There are other things that may need to be changed; I'm working on a writeup of my porting experiences right now. Ironically, writing about porting has delayed actual porting, and I haven't uploaded Cembulad yet.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)

cdiem
Posts: 5
Joined: October 1st, 2011, 3:00 pm

Re: Campaign By_The_Sword for wesnoth 1.8.6 broken

Post by cdiem » October 30th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Thanks very much - I have downloaded the file again and the campaign works without an error. Thank you!

Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer
Posts: 165
Joined: February 4th, 2011, 6:19 am
Contact:

Re: Campaign By_The_Sword for wesnoth 1.8.6 broken

Post by Groggy_Dice » January 12th, 2012, 7:13 am

Although I still haven't played the campaign for myself, I've gone ahead and uploaded the campaign, based on the feedback that it is already working.

I did fix one bug that I missed before. In one of the recruitment patterns for scenario 1, a space instead of a comma was used between a fighter and an archer, invalidating both. So instead of recruiting in a ratio of 5 scout : 2 fighter : 1 archer, the AI recruited 5 scout: 1 fighter. Before making up my zip file, I checked the wmlscope log. However, at the time, I thought of wmllint mainly as a conversion utility rather than a general debugging tool, so I didn't check wmllint's error messages. Apologies.

The other changes, to the _main.cfg, are pretty minor. I changed the rank from 125 to 425, since rankings below 400 in non-mainline campaigns are frowned upon. Also, I replaced the maintenance credits with my porting credit. I think by monochromatic's own account, he is not really maintaining the campaign, and he is still acknowledged as the creator and main designer.

Of course, the developers have been pushing for UMC to port to 1.9 for some time now. I have downloaded the release candidate, and I plan to start updating my ports to 1.9.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)

Post Reply