Can a licence other than GPLv2 be used for addons?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blitzmerker

Can a licence other than GPLv2 be used for addons?

Post by Blitzmerker »

Hi all,

when I want to upload things to the addon-server, it is said that everything on the server has to be licenced under the GPL.

Can I use a licence "more free" than the GPL (like the MIT Licence) for my addons (only talking about licence comaptible to GPL)?

If possible, what would I have to do to?

What about dual-licencing?

Blitzmerker
:(){ :|:& };:
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: Can a licence other than GPLv2 be used for addons?

Post by ivanovic »

In general the content you post has to be available under the GPLv2+ in the version you upload to our server. Of course you can supply a note stating that it is *also* available under a different license to your likings. But the version on the server has to be "seen" as GPLv2+ (at least for those people that want to use it this way, if you also offer it as something else there is no problem).
Max

Post by Max »

ivanovic wrote:Of course you can supply a note stating that it is *also* available under a different license to your likings.
only as long as you don't include anything already licensed under gpl (e.g. pictures, music). if you do you'd have to add different licenses on a per-file basis.

but what about e.g. macros? aren't they licensed under gpl as well? don't think it's an question easy to answer...
Blitzmerker

Post by Blitzmerker »

So I can add a file saying "you can use this software unter the terms of GPL or <other Licence>"?

All addons depend on Wesnoth, which is GPL.
Is there anything wrong with depending on stuff licenced differently?
:(){ :|:& };: