Vix: Looking for 1.9 Betatesters for Version 0.3

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vix (comments, suggestions, ideas & critique welcome)

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:"No villages" will not only make it impossible to heal but also trash your gold suplies. And they'll be stuck with what they got. Maybe a small fort castle and 1 of those tent villages? I mean just because its uninhabited doesn't mean your own men... er lizards... won't setup camp right?
True. Okay, I'll fix that. The images still aren't working, and I mean none of them. Not even the ones that were working before. :? Weird. I'm porting the campaign over into a copied campaign that I know works, so maybe that will fix it... hopefully.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The latest in recall code can be seen here. It is being modeled by the lovely Slissra (who I am assuming is female by the ending of her(?) name). Made from a cotton/polyester blend, this code is capable of storing units as they board ships and unstoring them in the next scenario. And it does all this automatically!

This is the code that goes in scenario one for non-Vix ship boarders. Replaces the code I gave you a few posts ago. Basically the same, but it keeps them in variable storage instead of moving them to the recall list.
Spoiler:
This goes at the begining of the second scenario. Note the two places where you need to fill in Vix's x/y coords. I have it set to heal them, (by setting their hitpoints equal to their max hitpoints) but you can remove that line if you want them to stay injured.
Spoiler:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Cool! Thanks, this looks awesome (though I must confess I don't really understand it... but I understand what it does, and that's the important thing :) ). I definitely think they should all have recovered their hitpoints, thanks for adding that in. Slissra is a female, BTW. Will hopefully get the newest version of Vix (with the new scenario) out sometime this weekend. I'm working on a new saurian sprite in my thread in the art workshop if anyone wants to check it out and give me some comments. I don't know whether or not this unit will make it into the next version though. It's a bit like a saurian version of a heavy infantryman, wielding a war hammer instead of a mace.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Alright, because I'm not a big fan of giving a man a fish, let me try to teach you something here.

A variable is like a box. You can put things in it. You can also stick a label on the box so you can find the right one later.

{VARIABLE hamburger "bun"}
This is storing "bun" inside of a box that is labeled "hamburger". Later we can refer to that box like this
[message]
speaker=narrator
message="Hello. Would you like a $hamburger ?"
[/message]
The question mark denotes a variable. We're telling it to output the whatever is inside of the box labeled hamburger. So this would say "Hello. Would you like a bun?"

Arrays are like many boxes inside a big box.
{VARIABLE topping[0] "cheese"}
{VARIABLE topping[1] "pepporoni"}
{VARIABLE topping[2] "shrooms"}
{VARIABLE topping[3] "spinach"}
In this case we have a box with cardboard dividers in it. The box has four sections we can put things in.

When you use [store_unit] you give it a [filter]. If only one unit matches, then it puts that unit into a variable (box). If many units match, then it puts them in an array (a box with compartments).

You can change attributes of those units just like you would any other variable

{VARIABLE stored_units[3].hitpoints "50"}
This, metaphorically, tells the game to look in the box labeld "stored_units". Look in the second compartment (because it starts counting at 0), and take the unit that is in there out. Set that units hitpoints to 50 and then place it back in the box.

The game doesn't actually change however until you take the unit out of the box, and put it back onto the board. That's what [unstore_unit] does.

[unstore_unit]
variable=store_units[3]
[/unstore_unit]

I hope this helps a little bit.

Also I noticed an error in my code above. Instead of {CLEAR_VARIABLE temp}, make it {CLEAR_VARIABLE gloriagaynor}.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Thanks for the explanation, I understand it much better now. :) BTW, why did you name the variable 'gloriagaynor'? :P
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

It was all I could think about while writing that code :lol2:
Some twisted part of my inermost subconscious thoughts is always ALWAYS devoted to providing me with theme music to every moment in my life. I don't know why. And I don't ask for fear of being Committed.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hehehe, I'm not going to change it. I'll leave it there to mystify and astound those who attempt to steal my our WML for all time, or at least until this campaign bites the dust. I finally got the images for the units working, but for some reason I can't get the campaign icon (which is an image in the campaign folder [add-ons/Vix/images]). :?
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Initial testing of the second scenario proves that it works, but there are still many incomplete things I have to finish. I had a new idea for the 3rd scenario:

Vix and his tribe are sailing along, when along the horizon looms a pirate fleet. Though not as well-armed or as sturdy as the saurians' vessels, the pirate ships outnumber them. You must defeat the pirates.

In this scenario the ships would be actual units, with attack capabilities, such as ram, ballista, etc. Though not as non-linear as the two previous scenarios, this would introduce something I think most wesnoth players would never have seen before- a naval battle. Is this idea worth a shot, or am I just attempting it for no good reason?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

You've only got three ships versus the pirate fleet. I suggest turning this into a "supposed to lose" fight. Fleeing when you're down to two ships.

Then for scenario four, you land on a saurian inhabited island (really swampy, murky place) to affect some repairs. But the pirates come ashore to ransack the town in the middle of the night. This would give you a chance to work in those skeleton pirates you were eyeing up. ;)

Again though, I have no idea where you're heading with the story so more salt!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I'm having no luck coding the 2nd scenario. When a unit from side 3 is killed by a unit from side 1, the unit from side 1 gets an overlay, and if that particular unit moves back to the ships (the ships are terrain=Ws), 1 is added to the count of dead pigs. I've tried all sorts of things, but nothing seems to work. :(
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Which part in particular seems to be breaking down? The killing of the pigs (and recieving of the overlay) or the moving to the ships part?

If it is the part with moving them to the ships.
When they kill a pig, give them more than an overlay. Try setting stored_unit.carryingfood to "1" or something. Then you can use
[filter_wml]
carryingfood="1"
[/filter_wml]
inside of the moveto event's filter. And of course you'll want to set that back to 0 inside that event.

I can take a look at what you've got so far if you want. Upload the cfg.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Here's the .cfg. I haven't even started to code the part when they move to the ships, because I couldn't get the die event for the pigs working correctly.
Attachments
02_Provisioning.cfg
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I've finished the third level (basically you have to conquer a pirate fleet on a map that's 90% deep water). I've also updated and modified numerous portions of the existing scenario and overall campaign, which changes and modifications I will place in the change log when I upload version 2. As for the 2nd scenario... :( I'm still trying.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Many many apologies. I've been extremely busy (Got my first official web design gig). Maybe this weekend. In fact definitly this weekend, or slap me.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Gambit wrote:in fact definitly this weekend, or slap me.
Right. We'll hold you to it.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...