Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (Now v1.6.x Compatible)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Devrailis Colandore

Re: Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (Now v1.6.x Compatible)

Post by Devrailis Colandore »

Thanks again for the comments. I'll attempt to clarify some of the dialogue.
Theron wrote: [message]
id=High Cleric Tollins
message= _ "Yes, yes. This murderous adventure of yours. You wish for my blessings? To call the gentle folk to arms? Rise up against a corrupt King? Or perhaps it is to spurn a young woman who seeks her birthright?"
[/message]

I think the "woman who seeks her birthright" is Aramelle. Or are you telling about the princess?
In this case, the Tollins is referring to the Princess, in the sense that inheriting the kingdom would be her "birthright". Thus if Tollins aids Aramelle in overthrowing Crown rule, he will be denying the Princess what is hers by right of birth.
id=Aramelle Eluviss
message= _ "You will not support us? Though you know what beasts these men of the Crown are!"
[/message]

This could be a woman to woman talk.
Here, Aramelle is using the term "men" in a general sense. I usually prefer gender-neutral pronouns as a rule, but I felt that people sounded a little awkward. I could replace it though in the interests of clarity.
id=High Cleric Tollins
message= _ "All men are beasts Aramelle, think of what you are asking of me."
[/message]

dito
Like above, Tollins is speaking generally. Furthermore, he is implying that Aramelle is in no place to judge. I might change the line or take it out. I'm not 100% certain what he says there is necessary.
Theron wrote:
[message]
id=High Cleric Tollins
message= _ "You must understand, Aramelle. I do this not for you, for you are still more a noble than you care to admit. I do not do this for a sweet little girl long dead, for dead little girls have no future in this world, but in the next. I do this because I believe the gods will see this to be a good path to take, and perhaps the people will suffer a little less in the fighting is over. Yes Aramelle, have you forgotten? I still believe in the gods, though you may not."
[/message]

I think the "little girl" is Aramelle. Or is this the peasant girl from scenario 2?
Tollins is referring to the peasant girl from scenario 2. I can certainly see this being a bit confusing. By the time you reach this scenario, the dialogue from scenario 2 might be hazy and people might not get what Tollins is referring to. What I tried to do with this piece was to imply that Tollins has a deep measure of Aramelle and his motivations.

I thought the dialogue was rather straightforward and obvious, but after reading it out of context I can see where it would confuse some people. I do believe that Aramelle has been consistently referred to as a man over the course of the campaign though.

In any case, I probably fell into the trap of "filling my own blanks." That is to say, I implicitly know the context of what I'm writing since I'm the one creating the story, but to someone who hasn't spent the time or has the familiarity with the story, what I'm writing might seem to come out of nowhere. I usually try to prevent that from happening, but it slips out every once in a while.
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

I agree with Theron on the scenario "The purge"

It is a very refreshing scenario after the first part of the campaign with the crown units which are overpowered compared to the rebel ones. I read earlier in this topic that you might consider increasing the XP needed to level up crown units and I think it would nicely bring some equilibrium in both part of the campaign.

Let's go back to "The purge". I think there is a problem on the scenario objectives... What does the player have to do? Protect the city... Its center? what area? The scenario does not seem to have a end (no turn limit) neither anything which could trigger it. I tried first to bring back this archer to the target area but still, nothing get triggered...
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
Theron

Post by Theron »

Patience. About 6 turns after Elbreis reached the marked city center the objective changes to "retreat heroes to the SE".

The intention is to defend Estelaisen as long as possible and retreat only then when all things seem lost. If you retreat immediately the innocent citizens of Estelaisen will be put to the sword. So you buy some of them enough time to flee the city.
Devrailis Colandore

Kelben wrote:I agree with Theron on the scenario "The purge"

It is a very refreshing scenario after the first part of the campaign with the crown units which are overpowered compared to the rebel ones. I read earlier in this topic that you might consider increasing the XP needed to level up crown units and I think it would nicely bring some equilibrium in both part of the campaign.

Let's go back to "The purge". I think there is a problem on the scenario objectives... What does the player have to do? Protect the city... Its center? what area? The scenario does not seem to have a end (no turn limit) neither anything which could trigger it. I tried first to bring back this archer to the target area but still, nothing get triggered...
Hi Kelben. It seems that Theron has already addressed the way to complete the scenario. All you need to do with wait a few turns and the scenario will guide you towards the end. I might add a special note to the objectives just to make it more clear that all you need to do is wait. Theron more or less got the in story reason as to why you're sitting there defending the city. The reason outside of the game for this scenario is for you to build up your forces a bit as you will not have the chance to recruit any more units for some time after this scenario is over.

-----

I've made a small update for the campaign which should have fixed the most egregious bugs that will prevent the player from advancing (especially the mapping bug). Perrin's companions should start the beginning of their scenarios with full health and MP now, and Freiseia should no longer be recruitable from Perrin's keep on Turn 1 of Cathedral. Thanks to everyone for their feedback and advice!
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Fair enough Devrailis. As I said, I like the mission very much more than the previous one which are easy and straight forward :wink: The Purge gives something epic! :) (I'm playing from my office and I'm very busy so I play only few turns everyday :P )
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

Hi... There could be a bug in "Amidst the Laandsratch". I get to turn 21, and when the turn ends suddenly Ghaneires Davilyn pops up to say "Bah! I'll not go down so easily! Fight me damn you!" I don't even know who he is, I can't see him on the map, and I have no idea why the scenario ends in defeat after this. Am I missing something?
Devrailis Colandore

Hi zoggop. It's likely that you've taken too long to reach Ghaneires. After you reach a certain point in the scenario, Ghaneires and his squad pop up in the North-West corner of the map, along with a few rebels. It generally does not take very long to reach his squad. Once you meet any one of his squadmates, he and his units will come under your control. Try the scenario again and see if you can reach him in time.

EDIT:

I may actually refine the scenario a bit. Perhaps a turn or two after Ghaneires appears, I could have one of the characters say something along the lines of "I think I hear fighting up ahead, we should hurry and investigate..." or something along those lines, just to prod the player along. Thanks for bringing that up.
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

A small detail: Map Silver Magnolia, the bridge in the southern center part of the map is not properly oriented. The result is weird.
Devrailis Colandore

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know why I didn't think that was irregular the first time I went through the map. It'll get fixed when I do the next release, most likely sometime this week. If you run into any other egregious bugs or errors, please let me know. I appreciate it!
maclag

Post by maclag »

I've just played (and failed :P) "The Purge" yesterday, and I have a comment about it.
I don't understand why the map on the other side of the river is hidden.
After all, this is supposed to be the rebels land, so how can they not be aware of what there is on the other side?
This makes the level much more difficult as the first time you have absolutely no idea where the enemies will come from -in fact, not even CAN come from- and that's part of the reason of my failure: I had to bring back a lot of units from a bit everywhere to the "center-west" of the map when I realized that this was not just a small path but a huge one they could use to cross the river. By the time enough reinforcements arrived, the Crown had already got some strong positions on land and I think the battle was lost anyway.
If you don't want the player to know what's on the move on the other side, at least use a fog, not a complete black.
The second reason is the surprise invasion from north which I've not expected at all: I had absolutely no unit around and my last hope was that bringing the guy to center of the city would end the scenario. He was almost dead on arrival, just to announce I had to keep on fighting until...?
At this point, I've decided it was not worth going on.

I'll try again using the tips mentioned above, and now aware of the river crossing paths. But not being able to win the first time (even at pain) removes a lot of interest (you don't have any surprise any more!).
PhotonX

Post by PhotonX »

In the second scenario I suddenly get following in the 17th turn and loose the scenario: :hmm:

Matthi205

Re: Campaign: Autumn Kingdoms - Prologue (Now v1.6.x Compati

Post by Matthi205 »

I did a conversion to 1.10 and now I frankensteined some more or less proper unit pictures for it .
Attachments
Autumn_Kingdoms_Prologue_1.10+UnitPictures.zip
(273.74 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

More Unit Pictures (Partisan Recruit, Lieutenant,Commander and Revolutionary , let me know if I defaced the Windsong too much) and I also got scenarios 5 and 6 (Talking and The Purge of Estelaisen) working . If there's anything wrong , please let me know .
(seems as if the last zip file didn't work properly for everyone , so this time I've packed the folder as .tar)
Attachments
Autumn_Kingdoms_Prologue.tar
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 280 times
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

I still face some slight difficulties getting "The Purge" to work properly . The two Partisan Lieutenants assigned to defend the city gates just stop recruiting after turn 1 .
I could fix that in several ways (I already tried removing any WML with their nmes in it):
1.Give the player more gold
2.Give P.Lieutenants more gold and make their encampments bigger
3.Take away some of the AI's gold
4.Give the player more lvl2 units (specifically: 1 I.Fighter,1P.Lieutenant)
5.Don't do anything and thus make the player lose ~80% of their units
6.Let someone else fix it
I favor number 6 , as it involves the issue actually getting fixed .
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Uhh... just as an unrelated note, when you tarball something you should generally also gzip it (or similar), since tarballing it actually increases its size due to the tar file headers. Zip is a "compressed archive" format, so it supports both packing and compressing; tar is just an archive format, so you need to compress it separately, preferably with a compression format that doesn't support packing archives (which includes .gz).

So the choice of tar is probably why the scenario has suddenly (roughly) quadrupled in size between the two versions.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.