TSG - The Tides of War

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DoctorJ

TSG - The Tides of War

Post by DoctorJ »

Having played the scenario through, i decided to check out the scenario cfg file [working on a walkthrough]. The scenario is both playable and enjoyable so don't take this as a criticism - i'm merely trying to wrap my head around WML.

1) Depending upon how successful the player was in Pebbles In The Flood, the script runs a line like

Code: Select all

{STARTING_VILLAGES 1 5}
Yet i see no difference in villages whether i manage a long defense or a short one. Is this actually supposed to pre-flag some villages? No matter how long i last in PitF, TToW always starts with all villages unmarked.

2) Even though i managed a long_defense, i never saw Minister Mefel. I see this line:

Code: Select all

{SG_GUARD (Silver Mage) (Minister Mefel) (_"Minister Mefel") 1 19 18}
do the numbers at the end include what turn he's supposed to show up? I've played past turn 19, and never saw him...

Details: BfW provided binary 1.4.5 on Mac OS 10.4.11 [though i've since noticed an update available and have begun DLing 1.4.7. I've also lots of savegame files, if it would help.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: TSG - The Tides of War

Post by zookeeper »

I've rewritten the whole deal about what happens when your defense in the previous scenario lasts longer in 1.5.x, and I'm not too keen on diving back into the 1.4.x code to figure out what happens there. It's pretty dull really, there are only a handful of milestone turns after which you gain something.

Just for reference for anyone interested in what your defense length grants you in 1.5.x, here's the relevant bit of code giving you a general idea (minor spoilers?):

[value]
turn=6
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 30 17}
{VARIABLE defenses some}
[/value]
[value]
turn=7
{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 1 (Heavy Infantryman) 30 17 (Provincial Guard) (_"Provincial Guard")} {GUARDIAN}
{VARIABLE provincial_guard some}
[/value]
[value]
turn=8
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 27 17}
[/value]
[value]
turn=9
{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 1 (Heavy Infantryman) 27 17 (Provincial Guard) (_"Provincial Guard")} {GUARDIAN}
[/value]
[value]
turn=10
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Re^Vct 16 9}
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Re^Vct 16 11}
[/value]
[value]
turn=11
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Re^Vct 17 14}
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Re^Vct 19 15}
[/value]
[value]
turn=12
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ch 20 11}
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ch 22 10}
[/value]
[value]
turn=13
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 25 17}
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Gg 26 16}
{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 1 (Lieutenant) 25 17 (Lt. Nilaf) (_"Lt. Nilaf")} {GUARDIAN}
[/value]
[value]
turn=14
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 23 17}
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Gg 24 16}
{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 1 (Spearman) 23 17 (Provincial Guard) (_"Provincial Guard")} {GUARDIAN}
[/value]
[value]
turn=15
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 14 17}
{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 1 (Bowman) 14 17 (Provincial Guard) (_"Provincial Guard")} {GUARDIAN}
[/value]
[value]
turn=16
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 34 17}
{NAMED_GENERIC_UNIT 1 (Heavy Infantryman) 34 17 (Provincial Guard) (_"Provincial Guard")} {GUARDIAN}
{VARIABLE provincial_guard full}
[/value]
[value]
turn=17
{ILLUMINATING_CAMPFIRE 20 16}
[/value]
[value]
turn=18
{ILLUMINATING_CAMPFIRE 11 14}
[/value]
[value]
turn=19
{ILLUMINATING_CAMPFIRE 26 16}
[/value]
[value]
turn=20
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Gg 35 17}
{ILLUMINATING_CAMPFIRE 35 17}
[/value]
[value]
turn=21
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 23 21}
[/value]
[value]
turn=22
{MODIFY_TERRAIN Ce 26 21}
{VARIABLE defenses full}
[/value]

+20 starting gold for each turn past 22.
The council of Westin arrives at turn 25 minus the length of your defense (so if defense lasted 10 turns, the council arrives on turn 15).
Also the number of starting villages is directly proportional to the length of the defense.
DoctorJ

Re: TSG - The Tides of War

Post by DoctorJ »

Thanks for the speedy reply, even if it doesn't really answer my questions as to what those two lines are meant to accomplish. As to your spoiler, the secret is safe from me: i don't need a headache bad enough to try to decipher white text on a light grey background.