The 1.8 Mp Lobby

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Noy » April 7th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Hi there

My name is Noy: you may remember me from such memorable threads as RNG and me, and My Little Pony Strikes Again.

As some of you may be aware our Multiplayer Lobby has some problems. Its buggy and its UI has some issues. What happened was that the lobby wasn't tested fully by developers and the product was pushed out of the door a little early. Its got some great functionality, like multiplayer rooms, filters and the like. Its just not that usable right now... thats all. I'd like to apologize for that.

What I can tell you is that we're trying to be proactive and deal with these issues as soon as possible. We've established a special working group and we're trying to draw in as many developers as possible to fix it. Our hope is that within a month we will have dealt with most of the main bugs, and by mid summer smoothed out some of the GUI issues.

We're asking you to grin and bear it a month or two while we iron out these issues. Its hardly an ideal situation but we're doing our best to fix it. If you want to assist, look at the bug reports and check if we've missed everything.

Thank you for your time

Noy
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

silene
Posts: 1109
Joined: August 28th, 2004, 10:02 pm

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by silene » April 8th, 2010, 6:58 am

Since there is now a sticky on this topic, I may just as well repost here.

While providing a lot less features than the 1.8 lobby and having an outdated look, the 1.6 lobby still works perfectly with the 1.8 server. In order to change back to the stable lobby, download the sources, apply the attached patch, compile with your favorite compilers, and install.
Attachments
old-lobby.patch.gz
(12.08 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

User avatar
Nobun
Code Contributor
Posts: 128
Joined: May 4th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Location: Italy

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Nobun » April 8th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Major problems are:

1) Player lists and, more important, GAME lists scroll up any time a new player enters. In this way is very difficult to reach the games opened

2) I suggest to make the "icons" of games greater (I suggest the same size used in 1.6... in that way the infos of a single game appears easier to read) even if this can mean to view less games at a single time (so you need to scroll more). I don't know if other people agree with me or not, so take it only as an idea

The first is critical. However it seems to me that it is a known problem reported in GNA

Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Noy » April 8th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Nobun wrote:Major problems are:

1) Player lists and, more important, GAME lists scroll up any time a new player enters. In this way is very difficult to reach the games opened

2) I suggest to make the "icons" of games greater (I suggest the same size used in 1.6... in that way the infos of a single game appears easier to read) even if this can mean to view less games at a single time (so you need to scroll more). I don't know if other people agree with me or not, so take it only as an idea

The first is critical. However it seems to me that it is a known problem reported in GNA
Its actually the problem we're trying to fix first but its a difficult one that is related to the use of gui2. Hopefully we can have a new version out by the end of the month that addresses it.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

ilor
Inactive Developer
Posts: 129
Joined: March 24th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by ilor » April 8th, 2010, 10:47 pm

I can only second what Noy said, but I also wanted to mention that one of the major advantages of the new lobby is that things such as
Nobun wrote: 2) I suggest to make the "icons" of games greater (I suggest the same size used in 1.6... in that way the infos of a single game appears easier to read) even if this can mean to view less games at a single time (so you need to scroll more). I don't know if other people agree with me or not, so take it only as an idea
can be done entirely in WML. Edit data/gui/default/window/lobby_main.cfg, look for a MINIMUM_SIZE specification near a [minimap] and there it is.

5dPZ
Posts: 198
Joined: July 11th, 2006, 7:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by 5dPZ » April 10th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Noy wrote:
Nobun wrote:Major problems are:

1) Player lists and, more important, GAME lists scroll up any time a new player enters. In this way is very difficult to reach the games opened

2) I suggest to make the "icons" of games greater (I suggest the same size used in 1.6... in that way the infos of a single game appears easier to read) even if this can mean to view less games at a single time (so you need to scroll more). I don't know if other people agree with me or not, so take it only as an idea

The first is critical. However it seems to me that it is a known problem reported in GNA
Its actually the problem we're trying to fix first but its a difficult one that is related to the use of gui2. Hopefully we can have a new version out by the end of the month that addresses it.
How hard it is to reverse the order of games - that is , to put the games with vacant slot at the TOP, so that this bug won't have severe effect until it is being dealt with?

Honestly, I don't care about games started 5 hours ago when I first enter the lobby, i want to see what games I can join at the moment. So putting current games at top makes much more sense.

Noy
Inactive Developer
Posts: 1321
Joined: March 13th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Noy » April 10th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Its not really possible because moving down a reversed list will bump around other games below it. Moreover trying to make this change will take time and distract us from actually solving the issue.

Just be patient. We know what the problem is with the scroll behavior and we can fix it.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.

Euthanatos93
Posts: 83
Joined: March 30th, 2009, 2:17 am

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Euthanatos93 » April 17th, 2010, 3:29 pm

I don't understand why 1.8 was even released as stable. The lobby crashes %100 of the time and the only error I ever get is:

Code: Select all

20100417 11:32:20 error gui/layout: listbox [game_list] set_content_size: placement of the content has failed,  hope the window can save us.
20100417 11:32:20 error gui/layout: listbox [game_list] set_content_size: placement of the content has failed,  hope the window can save us.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'gui2::tlayout_placement_failed'
Aborted
I've not been able to create or join a game. It seems absurd to me that 1.8 was released as stable given that such basic functionality is not operable.

User avatar
Unnheulu
Posts: 738
Joined: November 25th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Location: Cymru
Contact:

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Unnheulu » April 17th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Euthanatos93 wrote:I don't understand why 1.8 was even released as stable. The lobby crashes %100 of the time and the only error I ever get is:

Code: Select all

20100417 11:32:20 error gui/layout: listbox [game_list] set_content_size: placement of the content has failed,  hope the window can save us.
20100417 11:32:20 error gui/layout: listbox [game_list] set_content_size: placement of the content has failed,  hope the window can save us.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'gui2::tlayout_placement_failed'
Aborted
I've not been able to create or join a game. It seems absurd to me that 1.8 was released as stable given that such basic functionality is not operable.
Play SP like me in the meantime ;)

Euthanatos93
Posts: 83
Joined: March 30th, 2009, 2:17 am

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Euthanatos93 » April 17th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Unnheulu wrote:
Play SP like me in the meantime ;)
I don't find SP interesting.

AI
Developer
Posts: 2394
Joined: January 31st, 2008, 8:38 pm

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by AI » April 18th, 2010, 1:11 am

What's your resolution? You seem to be the only person able to consistently reproduce that bug.

Euthanatos93
Posts: 83
Joined: March 30th, 2009, 2:17 am

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Euthanatos93 » April 20th, 2010, 1:42 am

Screen is 1280x1024
Wesnoth is 1024x768

Slackware13 in XFCE

User avatar
quantum137
Posts: 12
Joined: April 20th, 2010, 10:51 am

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by quantum137 » April 20th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Hi folks, I was in multi-lobby today for around 10 minutes and, well that was 1st time I found myself over there ;) is there a way to communicate over there with others, as noone was writing a word, maybe I just have some option as a default - not marked or something. Any help is kindly welcome:-)

User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 1756
Joined: February 10th, 2010, 1:06 am
Location: $x1,$y1

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by Dixie » April 20th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Well you can communicate with others with the chat bar and window at the bottom. Maybe people were just not looking/not interested. Do note, though, that the multiplayer lobby is for organizing games, not for small talk. Some people (Ex.1 & Ex.2) got problems with the moderators for that reason ;)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth

User avatar
quantum137
Posts: 12
Joined: April 20th, 2010, 10:51 am

Re: The 1.8 Mp Lobby

Post by quantum137 » April 20th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I see, anyway I will try to find as much as I can on forum as there is really lots of info here :-)

Post Reply