Wesnoth combat odds - FAKE AND SUCKS

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ihatewesnoth

Wesnoth combat odds - FAKE AND SUCKS

Post by ihatewesnoth »

How can it be that I attack an enemy unit with 70% odds to hit vs their 40% odds to hit, and they hit EVERY TIME and I miss EVERY TIME? And on top of that, my unit has a 4X attack (magical), vs the enemy has 3X?

How can this happen OVER and OVER again? I've gone over almost every campaign and scenario in Wesnoth, and the odds are unilaterally stacked against the user, even on EASY odds (never mind the harder/hardest, it's stacked WORSE)?

Who writes the combat engine anyways? Maybe this guy needs to get another job, because his code SUCKS.

On a positive note, the graphics are awesome, the storylines are great, and fan-contribs are fantastic. Just that the combat engine really, really, SUCKS. Whoever is developing it needs to give up on C++ and get another job, maybe at McDonalds or some other line of work where skilled coding is not required.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wesnoth combat odds - FAKE AND SUCKS

Post by Thrawn »

before this gets locked, I started playing HttT on hard, just to collect data. Got 2 scenarios in.

Scenario 1 Damage dealt 392/353.8 (+10%) Damage received 154/137.8 (+11%) so even
Scenario 2 Damage dealt 1145/1009.8 (+13%) Damage dealt 489/473.1 (+3%) so I dealt much more

funny thing? I played like an idiot, and lost enough units to make me wanna restart the scenario, even though I dealt over 100 more damage than I should have >_>
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

ihatewesnoth wrote:How can it be that I attack an enemy unit with 70% odds to hit vs their 40% odds to hit, and they hit EVERY TIME and I miss EVERY TIME? And on top of that, my unit has a 4X attack (magical), vs the enemy has 3X?

How can this happen OVER and OVER again? I've gone over almost every campaign and scenario in Wesnoth, and the odds are unilaterally stacked against the user, even on EASY odds (never mind the harder/hardest, it's stacked WORSE)?

Who writes the combat engine anyways? Maybe this guy needs to get another job, because his code SUCKS.

On a positive note, the graphics are awesome, the storylines are great, and fan-contribs are fantastic. Just that the combat engine really, really, SUCKS. Whoever is developing it needs to give up on C++ and get another job, maybe at McDonalds or some other line of work where skilled coding is not required.
I have made the experience that people who troll on the Internet in a such brazenly way (actually without having any point to their claims)
don't manage to even look their conversational partner in the eyes in real life.

Can you prove any of your claims?
Where is the code that is badly written? Show it to us and tell us what you would do better.
Are you even able to identify badly written code?

Why do you insult not only the Wesnoth developers, who do that work in their free time without being paid,
but also all the people that work hard for their living under bad conditions like they are at the fast food company you named?

The battle system of Wesnoth was designed and coded by our lead developer, Dave.
Dave is working for Google. Do you suggest that Google would hire an incompetent developer?
I don't think so.

How old are you?
Do your parents know that you are insulting people on the Internet for no purpose?
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

fabi wrote:How old are you?
Do your parents know that you are insulting people on the Internet for no purpose?
I chuckled pretty good.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

What do the developers current places of employment have to do with wesnoth?

Also before this get's locked I just want to explain something. You may not understand/care anyways BUT the difficulty ratings are just words. That's all. I can give the player 500 gold, and the AI 200 and tell the AI to only recruit once per turn. And I could name this difficulty "UBER KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF HARD". The game doesn't care about the difficulty rating.

Furthermore all the single player campaigns were made by different people. Not the developers. People like you and I. And we can't actually mess with the random number generator. We can set how much gold you get, how much gold the AI gets, and we can control how aggressive/cautious the AI is. If you don't believe me here is an example ripped straight form Heir to the Throne's code:

Code: Select all

[side]
        type=Orcish Warrior
        id=Mokolo Qimur
        name= _ "Mokolo Qimur"
        experience=0
        side=3
        canrecruit=yes
        team_name=orcs
        user_team_name=_"Orcs"
        recruit=Orcish Grunt,Wolf Rider,Orcish Archer,Troll Whelp
        {GOLD 100 160 220}
        {INCOME 8 16 20}
        [ai]
            {ATTACK_DEPTH 1 3 5}
        [/ai]
    [/side]
That is the code for the AI bad guy in scenario 2. We can set the team's name, the leader's name, we can set how much gold he gets at different levels, what units he can recruit, how smart he is, and quite a few other things. But nowhere is there an option to scale how lucky he is.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

And this, my friends, is why the next time I write a game, luck will play a very minor role, if at all. ;)

You can have your users who don't understand what "random" means, and I won't have to deal with them. Image

Edit: Oh, I forgot! I'm already a game developer! Hey, OP, why don't you try the game linked in my sig? No one's ever complained about our RNG, since we practically don't have one! ;)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

OK.... This will be the last post before lock post lol. Or so I'm betting :D.

One real problem I think is that people don't give Wesnoth a proper chance. Is a game that sorta grows on you.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
cretin

Post by cretin »

meh these guys pop up every week.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

No! My last post! :evil:

Yer they do actually. I can't believe he actually registered fir this. And his name is ihatewesnoth lol. I mean, does he really actually think that we're gonna do something about it?
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

ihatewesnoth wrote:How can it be that I attack an enemy unit with 70% odds to hit vs their 40% odds to hit, and they hit EVERY TIME and I miss EVERY TIME? And on top of that, my unit has a 4X attack (magical), vs the enemy has 3X?

Well given your inability to understand basic probabilities and your asinine attitude, I can tell that you don't have the intellectual capacity to play this game. May I suggest that you take up a new internet hobby, like My Little Pony Coloring books. Graduate from that and maybe we can get you into some more complex games, like pong.

Oh, and Locked.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.