Is there anyway to turnoff (or speedup) computer moves?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kamimen

Is there anyway to turnoff (or speedup) computer moves?

Post by kamimen »

Hi, just downloaded the game, looks nice but am I supposed to wait 2minutes of computer moves everytime i do "end turn". I found one switch in preferences that made it a bit faster, but its still way to slow.

/Kami
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The 'accelerated' option is currently the only option to make it faster.

- what OS are you using?
- what are the specs for your computer?
- does it take a long time for the AI to actually move units around and attack, or does it just pause for a long time during AI's move (this is when it's thinking)
- which version of the game are you running? 0.4.8?

David
dabugas

same problem

Post by dabugas »

Hi,

I've been finding the AI movements too slow also.

I'm using the latest stable (0.4.8) on an unstable GNU/Linux Debian. I have Pentium II 416 Mhz; 96 MB RAM.

Actually, the movement of units per se is pretty fast (at least with the accelerated option) but the attacks take several seconds of back and forth slashing. I noted my hardware above, but I don't think it's a hardware problem. I think it's actually a "feature" :)

Unfortunately, on level 1 of the campaign I would spend several minutes looking at ten units just whack it out. Unfun. A way to change the speed of attacks would be greatly appreciated (even an off option might be useful in some cases)
Sithrandel

Attack Speed

Post by Sithrandel »

I have noticed that the attack speed slows things down. Possible options I can think of are:

* Reducing animation frames (as an option) or removing any time delays (as an option).

* Allow the choice of skipping all animations. Dangerous, unless there was a report dialog at the end of the AI turn (e.g. listing all skirmishes... click on a line and the map will warp there). The info shouldn't be too hard to attain as you wouldn't need much. Just that it happened and if a unit died, that it died.

Sithrandel
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Animation frames are reduced when in accelerated mode (hold shift on keyboard, or go to preferences to select accelerated mode permanently). Are people already using this, and want them reduced even further?

I guess we could support a mode where it happens even more instantly.

David
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

I use accelerated mode all the time, which is good. But, I will admit that when I first started playing, on a 300Mhz pc with 300megs of ram. It was very slow going. I would play for maybe a minute, but then the computer would play for about 10 minutes. (the first level is really bad in that it has about 30-35 units that are controlled by the computer) It was unbearable, so now I play on a 700 Athlon.
-BrassJ
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The biggest factor at the moment in terms of speed is the amount of video memory you have.

If you have enough video memory to store the game screen and a double-buffer of it, it'll likely run fast, otherwise it'll likely run slow. (4 megabytes is borderline, 8 should be enough).

I am going to look at ways to speed it up on slower machines though, but that'll have to wait until after 0.5.

David
kamimen

Post by kamimen »

As topic starter I have to say the feedback has been really good. Nice to have a devoloper (dave?) here to answere questions. My specs are TB 1333, G-force4 64mb MX440 (cheap version) and 512mb ram on a Gentoo with 2.4.21 kernel. The game version is 0.4.8 and the delay comes when the computer units fight, just as mentioned before.

I can't imagin that this game could eat all my resources just to calculate AI ?

/Kami
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

kamimen,

Sounds like your problem is simply with the combat animations.

We are planning to have options to turn animation off, but not until after the next version to be released (0.5).

In the meantime, I might suggest that a major mitigating factor is that so many AI vs AI battles are likely to take place only in the first scenario of the campaign. After that it likely won't be nearly so bad.

David
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I have noticed that the AI sometimes thinks for some minutes when it usally do it for only some sek. It mostly happends when you have mixed your units with the enemy troops. Is it a bug or just a lot of AI-thinking?

I'm running a 750mhz P3 256 mb SDRAM with geforce 2 in case it matters.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

KK_r wrote:I have noticed that the AI sometimes thinks for some minutes when it usally do it for only some sek. It mostly happends when you have mixed your units with the enemy troops. Is it a bug or just a lot of AI-thinking?
It's alot of AI thinking. There are lots more combinations it has to think of in such a situation. (If you think about it, situations where your troops are interspersed with enemy troops are fairly complex as to what the best move is to make).

We may try to make it think faster in the future though.

David
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

As a slightly older gamer I can still remember the days of Eastern Front on the Atari 800 :-)

That game had the strategy of processing the AI during the user turn. Then when the user made a move the AI's move would follow fairly swiftly. Obviously more complex (as the situation does change) but it might be worth a thought if the AI is ever re-written.

Other than that I am strongly against speeding the AI up at the sacrifice of strenght. Efficiency gains are good (if that is what is being considered) but if speed gains reduce the AI then that would be a shame.

I can also remember games where the AI's turn would take hours, so a few minutes doesn't bother me. That is part of what a turn based strategy game has over rts. (Waiting for animations can be bothersome though ;-) ).