Wesnoth 1.13.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.7

Post by beetlenaut »

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize that scons and cmake put the executable in different places, so I loaded 1.13.6+dev by mistake and didn't notice. You're right, this is fixed in 1.13.7. Nevermind.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

My thoughts after a bit more time with 13.7:
  • [heal_unit] with animate=yes seems to be broken? The unit gets healed but I get no animation, and this error message:

Code: Select all

error scripting/lua: lua/wml-tags.lua:692: attempt to call a nil value (field 'animate_unit')
    stack traceback:
    	lua/wml-tags.lua:692: in local 'cmd'
    	lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
    	lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
    (or one with a longer stack traceback, when there were [fire_event]s used before the [heal_unit]).
    I tried adding a second_unit, but the same thing happened. Also, [heal_unit] works correctly with animate=no.
  • The improvements to fake-map-edge are great! I use it quite a bit, so even though I had to spend some time adapting to the changes, it is much better overall now.
  • Idk if this was in earlier 1.13.x, but I just now noticed that resistances and movement costs show up when hovering over the hp and moves on the right side bar. This is a wonderful idea, sincere thank you to anyone involved in this!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I think that heal_unit bug is recently fixed in master. Without looking at the code, I'm guessing you may be able to fix it locally for yourself by editing the wml-tags.lua file to replace "wesnoth.animate_unit" with "wesnoth.wml_actions.animate_unit".

(Or you could copy the fix from master; the API that the fix uses is in 1.13.7 already.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I think that heal_unit bug is recently fixed in master. Without looking at the code, I'm guessing you may be able to fix it locally for yourself by editing the wml-tags.lua file to replace "wesnoth.animate_unit" with "wesnoth.wml_actions.animate_unit".

(Or you could copy the fix from master; the API that the fix uses is in 1.13.7 already.)
Making that one line change sort of works... it at least isn't an error, but it doesn't animate either. Then I tried copying in these lines, but that resulted in this error:
error scripting/lua: lua/wml-tags.lua:694: bad argument #1 to 'add' (unit expected, got nil)
with the stack trace of course. Next I tried copying the entire file from github, but got the same error.

Of course, I'm just saying all this in case it's helpful; it wouldn't be a problem to turn off all my healing animations until the next version. I wasn't planning on publishing anything for a while anyway.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Oh, I think I understand why the first method didn't work (since healers is now a list of units rather than the filter config that was used to match those units). Not sure why the second method failed though, since healers[1] should undoubtedly be non-nil if... oh wait! I forgot that zero is truthy in Lua! It should be if #healers > 0. The error of it being nil should indicate that the filter didn't match any units, I think.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Dugi: I've considered adding a "addon developer mode" option in Advanced Preferences which will enable the showing of deprecated messages (and possibly other things) which currently are just dumped to chat for everyone. Would that help with your complaints?
It would not help my complaints, but it would help remove one of the sources of my complaints. That would be definitely a very handy feature.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Oh, I think I understand why the first method didn't work (since healers is now a list of units rather than the filter config that was used to match those units). Not sure why the second method failed though, since healers[1] should undoubtedly be non-nil if... oh wait! I forgot that zero is truthy in Lua! It should be if #healers > 0. The error of it being nil should indicate that the filter didn't match any units, I think.
Ok with that change it is the best yet, but after the healer animates, it doesn't get its ellipse, hp bar, etc back. Also, the unit being healed doesn't animate, which means there is no animation if there is no healer (no [filter_second]). Which isn't really a surprise, since (even though I know nothing about lua) I don't see anything that looks like it's adding the unit from [filter] to the animator.

FelixMage

Post by FelixMage »

Glad to see a new mainline campaign finally being added, I have actually wanted to play Secrets of the Ancients for a while now, but just couldn't find the time.
So now that it is in mainline, I will simply have to find the time to play it.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Samonella wrote:after the healer animates, it doesn't get its ellipse, hp bar, etc back.
This is a known bug that (if I recall correctly) was already fixed in master.
Samonella wrote:Also, the unit being healed doesn't animate, which means there is no animation if there is no healer (no [filter_second]).
Was that not the case in 1.12.x? I don't remember. It's possible that I forgot something when reimplementing [animate_unit].
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Samonella wrote:Also, the unit being healed doesn't animate, which means there is no animation if there is no healer (no [filter_second]).
Was that not the case in 1.12.x? I don't remember. It's possible that I forgot something when reimplementing [animate_unit].
Yeah, [heal_unit] with animate=yes always played the "healed" animation, so if there's no [filter_second] it looks the same as if the unit rest-healed. Otherwise you don't get the healing sound effect, even if there is a [filter_second].

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Alright, I've fixed it up now on master. If you copy that code, it should work on 1.13.7 too apart from the ellipse/bars bug.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Alright, I've fixed it up now on master. If you copy that code, it should work on 1.13.7 too apart from the ellipse/bars bug.
Looks good, thanks a ton!

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I think there's a bug in [animate_unit] too. It has the same problem with the ellipse/bars, but if that's fixed in [heal_unit] it probably already is here too. However, [facing] seems to have no effect? Here's my code in case something is wrong with it, but I'm pretty sure this worked in 13.6 (in 13.7 the unit attacks in whichever direction it happens to be facing).

[animate_unit]
	flag=attack
	[filter]
		id=Derek
	[/filter]
	[primary_attack]
		range=melee
	[/primary_attack]
	hits=yes
	[facing]
		[filter]
			id=Voadar
		[/filter]
	[/facing]
[/animate_unit]

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It's quite possible. The underlying (undocumented) API used for the Lua implementation of [facing] changed a little after the 1.13.7 release if I recall correctly, so this might not be a case where you can copy code from master and have it just work.

It looks like I just forgot to actually set the unit's facing to the calculated direction though. On the other hand, looking into this has made me realize that I improperly conflated two related-but-not-quite-the-same things in the API...
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

There seems to be another bug in [heal_unit]. The following code restores 1 HP, where it should do none:

[heal_unit]
	[filter]
		id=Voadar
	[/filter]
	amount=0
	moves=full
	restore_attacks=yes
	restore_statuses=no
[/heal_unit]
I also tried a few variations, for example setting animate=yes or not touching moves, but it seems to always heal at least 1 HP.