Up From Slavery

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Up From Slavery

Post by UnwiseOwl »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on? (If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify. Give detailed reviews of as many scenarios as you feel like.)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? Which, if any, parts posed problems that felt like they should not, and which, if any, seemed unintentionally easy? Were the scenario objectives ever unclear?

(3) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? If you have suggestions for rephrasing of certain parts of the dialog that seemed awkward or were grammatically incorrect, post them.

(4) How fun do you think the campaign is? What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

Keep in mind that this campaign relies on the Imperial Era for most of its unit artwork; if you have suggestions for the balancing or artwork of the units, post them in the Imperial Era thread, not here. If you are interested in contributing to this campaign, or in helping develop other campaigns set in the World of Orbivm, post something on the Orbivm forums.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Up From Slavery

Post by Sapient »

The concept for the campaign seems very nice and I liked the taunts from the Senators in the beginning whenever a unit dies.

However, there seems to be a bug with "invalid starting position" in Scenario3.

Also, Scenario 1 seems too difficult on Easy mode. I lost three times. It is too difficult because your ally tends always run out to the front lines and gets in danger of being killed. Then you must try very risky maneuvers to rescue him.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
ZN_Singer

Post by ZN_Singer »

Once again the allies causing trouble...good luck. Northern Rebirth and Legend of Wesmere both contain attempts to tackle this, you can look into it from there.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Ok, now that I finished it, I have more complete feedback:
Spoiler:
I also attached my replays
Attachments
replay-saves.zip
(120.79 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Sapient wrote:However, there seems to be a bug with "invalid starting position" in Scenario3.
To be more precise, if you play on hard, you get this error:
load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (40,38) for a unit on side 2.
The map only goes to 40,32.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Ruksa

Post by Ruksa »

played version 0.1 on hard difficulty.
sc. 1 set the atmosphere very well. I was immersed in the plot immediately.
sc. 2 was too easy(for hard difficulty level). I killed all the enemies w/o much difficulty instead of running away. If I'm supposed to run, I should have to. more waves of (stronger) enemies, please. Or perhaps more horsemen.
sc. 3 crashed the game as previously noted.
maybe I'll try again on normal another day.
SagSchlahne

Post by SagSchlahne »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on? (If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify. Give detailed reviews of as many scenarios as you feel like.)

I played on Medium, Version 1.6.5

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? Which, if any, parts posed problems that felt like they should not, and which, if any, seemed unintentionally easy? Were the scenario objectives ever unclear?

It absoluteley depended on the scenario, the first two were cakewalks, but "Detour" was way too hard, as I lost almost every leveled unit I had so far. Had to do some saveloading because the riders unexpectedly attacked my leader in his castle and all hit. Took me like 4 attempts to finally beat it. But then, things got easier in End of the Paved Road, i simply overran the enemy, but I couldn't free any prisoners. Are there even some ? "Crossing the Desert" didn't force me to do anything, i just ran with my three hereos towards the mountains while the Riders went south to their leader's keep instead of attacking me o_O
Things f*cked up in "The "Last" Battle", I got extremly injured by the Eagle Riders and the Dragon in the beginning and so had to do extreme saveloading while fighting the rest of the dwarves, because they were just too powerful to take down by my wounded units.. Tool me again 5 attempts to beat it ;/
"Freedom has a Meaning" seemed to be hard in the beginning, but the AI was so stupid that I could easily take out one L3 unit after the other because they never sticked together, altough I had only one L3, two L2 and the L1 and my leader was L2. Took my 6 turns to eliminate my opponent's units and he was down after 9.

(3) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline? If you have suggestions for rephrasing of certain parts of the dialog that seemed awkward or were grammatically incorrect, post them.

It was written well, altogh I felt that there could still be more story/ dialouge, maybe make Brotus a hero unit and give him a more important role. And after beating the dwarves, I think they could have more to say also ;)

(4) How fun do you think the campaign is? What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

I'd rate it 7/10. I liked the story, but it felt somewhat short. But atm I don't know anything to add ^^ so just keep up the good work :)
theyogre

Post by theyogre »

I agree with the comments of Ruksa. I'll try it again on normal and maybe have more comments. Quite fun idea.
Chefu

Post by Chefu »

Campaign updated for 1.8 and available on the addons server. Please leave your comments below or over on the orbivm forums http://www.exong.net/orbivm/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97

Thanks,
Chefu
Current maintainer of the Orbivm project (as of February 2011)
Orbivm Forums
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

wesnoth 1.9.11 campaign 0.6.0 easy
played up to scenario="3.5_A_Detour"
savegame attached

i found it a bit harder than an easy campaign should be but certainly playable and enjoyable. the main challenge is getting used to the different unit types. the objectives were always clear.

love the dialog and story so far. no problems with spelling or grammar.

it is quite fun so far. more interaction or just comments from among the slaves, perhaps when recruiting in new towns, would be nice.

the game crashed after i finished the scenario and it started loading the next one. i am compiling 1.9.12 now to check if the bug is fixed or maybe it was a dangerous WML error. i will report a bug if it still crashes. i didnt see anything in the log indicating a fatal problem. here is what was in the error log regarding the campaign (duplicate messages removed):
Battle for Wesnoth v1.9.11
Started on Sat Dec 10 17:12:50 2011
Data directory: /usr/local/share/wesnoth
User configuration directory: /home/keb/.config/wesnoth
User data directory: /home/keb/.local/share/wesnoth/1.9
Cache directory: /home/keb/.cache/wesnoth
Checking video mode: 1440x900x32...
setting mode to 1440x900x32
20111210 17:13:02 error general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Fall_of_Silvium/translations', skipping textdomain
20111210 17:13:02 error general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/Up_From_Slavery/translations', skipping textdomain
20111210 17:26:41 error audio: Could not load sound file 'bow.png'.
20111210 17:26:41 error audio: Could not load sound file 'bow-miss.png'.
20111210 18:08:50 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'generate_traits' discarded.
20111210 18:08:50 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'generate_traits' discarded.
update: no crash in 1.9.12, but same messages in error log.
the revolution lives on...
Attachments
UFS-A_Detour_Turn_12a.gz
1.9.11 save just before moving the leader to west edge of map to complete the scenario. then it crashes.
(31.25 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

1.easyeasyeasy....
2.easyeasyeasyeasy....
3.this story is far too shorter than l have expected. and what's more, too simple. campaign maps and events are dull and not enthralling enough. but l am quite an outsider of campaign maker and improver, these are just personal suggestions
4. alas, orcs are really unwitting creatures lol~ :lol2:
taptap

Post by taptap »

This campaign works fine. The orcish gladiators unit tree is somewhat complicated. Too many units (that I have never seen). The final was pretty hard (all opponents level 3, with my best level 2), and I needed several attempts, especially as I did a rather bad job in levelling melee guys. But with the help of a little slowing and level up I finally managed to do it unlike e.g. the Epic of Vaniyera (Retribution) and Gali's Contract (Our friends in the north) which I were unable to complete on hard.

What I love about the Imperial Era campaigns I have seen so far, that they are all without healers so unlike most of default Wesnoth where even no-healer factions get some additional healers for a campaign.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

taptap wrote:This campaign works fine. The orcish gladiators unit tree is somewhat complicated. Too many units (that I have never seen). The final was pretty hard (all opponents level 3, with my best level 2), and I needed several attempts, especially as I did a rather bad job in levelling melee guys. But with the help of a little slowing and level up I finally managed to do it unlike e.g. the Epic of Vaniyera (Retribution) and Gali's Contract (Our friends in the north) which I were unable to complete on hard.

What I love about the Imperial Era campaigns I have seen so far, that they are all without healers so unlike most of default Wesnoth where even no-healer factions get some additional healers for a campaign.
I love Imperial for its units are made with great quality. If we set all eras a standard, Era of Magic get gold medal, Imperial may get sliver, than comes Myth. But still it is not balanced well; Lavinians are most probably too powerful, lv1 Sidhes are lame while lv2s are too awesome.

U think the last mission is a little too hard, for there is no even enough scenerios to level ur troops up, right? I got the same problem, and it was really a lv2 vs lv3 war. After this campaign I still don't even know the complete leveling line of the whole orcish gladitors...... :augh: But still it is easy to win if u make it right. First turn, swarm units, and get lv2s which better to level (they can earn 24 exp by killing anything!); then, stay inside ur castle until that idiot send his troops to urs. There should be a kind of unit, which name I don't remember now, looks like a goblin (from lv0 line and ends at lv2), using a melee whip that have four strikes and can slow! It is a 60% dodge vs 30%, so if u placed two on both castles' bottom, the enemies will be draw down very quickly :mrgreen: Then, u can decimate them with ur strong gladiators, armored or not armored are all ok but not that kind of impactors. They are lame.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I managed to do it with slow as you say. But I had several levelled archers but little levelled melee guys (and those levelled were the marksman variety, which you really don't need against 30%), especially I lost Brotus in the previous scenario to a dwarf = I had to do with fresh recruits to get 6 units so I fielded several L1 and L0 against L3 which amazingly worked in the end.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

:annoyed: u may need to go back to some scenerios before and level some melee guys...and before leveling ur units to a certain line, check the source code and pick a best.
Really...take a little care then u would notice that some orcish gladiators are very very lame and some are obviously stronger. This is an unbalanced era, like most eras.

archers are lame.u only need a few to loot villages.