Multiplayer Replay Analysis

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

ForPeace

Re: Multiplayer Replay Analysis

Post by ForPeace »

I'll add something from my side but I agree with most of what sergey said.
sergey wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 4:33 pm
2 wolf riders was a waste of gold. You are anyway playing defensively. Scouts are used to threaten and grab villages, or finish wounded enemies. Instead of them at turns 6-7 you had to recruit either grunts, trolls or assassins and make sure they are parked on good terrain. Grunts ideally in villages. Considering your unit composition at that moment I would suggest grunts.
The best moment to recruit a scout is on turn 1 when you need him to capture the furthest village. Scouts are also useful in getting more vision and information about what your opponent is doing, especially what he is recruiting.
Of course, unit composition matters a lot! Grunts are the core of an orcish army: the most resilient, the cheapest and the most powerful. You should have a lot of them in every game as an orc. Other units can be sometimes useful too (like archers and assasins for heavy infantrymen and cavalry: notice damage type resistances!) but grunts are the core.
See a neki game where he beats an opponent by outnumbering him with grunts.
Moving leader to the lake was a mistake. You missed opportunity to reinforce.
- leader may be useful in the fight, but his main task is to recruit
In fact, overusing a leader is a very common beginner mistake. The biggest problem about it is that you stop yourself from recruiting. A good rule is to always stay 1 turn away from your keep, not further, except when a leader can help you recapture a village (like a Red Mage or an Elvish Sorceress). Also, when you have very little income and cannot recruit, you can use your leader. Still, be careful while doing it.
Here is an example game where neki takes advantage of his opponent overusing the leader.

Another skill that in my opinion is very important in competitive Wesnoth is evaluating the risk. If you can achieve less than you are risking, you shouldn't engage in a fight. For example, you can kill one 14-gold unit but you know that if you do it your opponent will kill 3 of your units so you don't attack him. Vice versa: if you can achieve much by risking only a little you should engage in a fight. For instance, you have 12/16 villages, a lot of grunts and your opponent has only 7 units left. You don't mind losing a few grunts to kill an important lvl2 red mage because then a red mage won't help your opponent retake villages and you have huge income and a lot of units. In this game, you kept attacking on the right flank at day instead of retreating, which was in fact a big risk misjudgement. You couldn't get much at day but risked many units.

Have fun and good luck in future games!
ForPeace (ladder) | sxpg (lichess) | sxpg (codeforces)
Jeżeli jesteś polskim graczem, dołącz do wesnoth.com.pl

helling3r

Post by helling3r »

Just to discuss the wulfs, i recruited them for vision, so i can prepare better off mounted units arrive. The many archers were to defend against hi and mounted and also to give me more flexibility due to two different attack types...

sergey

Post by sergey »

You don't need so many archers to counter 1 HI and 2 cavalry. That is a valid point to have different units in your composition. Important thing about Wesnoth is that during your turn your unit attacks one time, and it can retaliate many times during enemy turn. In Wesnoth majority of units are melee oriented. Which means that your archers will suffer during enemy turn. Another important concept is to build walls to not let enemy attack you from many hexes and increase your units chances to survive. And grunt obviously is better for walls comparing to archer. Again, the basic recommendation is to recruit grunts. Play with that approach until you get enough skills to figure out something better depending on the situation. For example, if you had for the whole game 12 grunts and 14 archers, it would be better to have 21 grunts and 6 archers.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.

helling3r

Post by helling3r »

Thanks again for all that good advice!