Help with image shadows...

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fmunoz
Founding Artist

Help with image shadows...

Post by fmunoz »

Currently alpha blending for units shadow is implemnted .. the main problem is that units dont have the coded colours ... and there are a heap of images to change.
Can anybody help me with this...
It's simply....
Easy steps in the gimp.
The shadow of the unit should be R25G25B17 or #191911 .. just the shadow pryected not the outlines or darker parts of the image..
In gimp you can do it in some easy steps.
1) Open the image
2) Change the colour active colour to #191911
3) Select the "pencil tool" and the 1 pixel brush
4) pain all the shadow
5) Check with the colour picker that other dark pixels are not using the shadow colour...
6) If not save and its finished

else if the shadow colour is used outside the shadow
7) Change the active colour to #0c0c0c (or R12G12B12)
8 ) Using the pencil paint the parts that need to be changed.

That process could be speeded with the "Selection by colour tool" and/or "Change colours" but this tools should be used in a per case base...

Plese post here the units fixed to advoid doing the same work twice.

1st images fixed.

elvish-champion.nmp
elvish-champion-defend.bmp
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

And once you're done changing an image, email it to me:

davidnwhite at optusnet dot com dot au

Oh and I take all responsibility for what a dreadful kludge the shadow thing is :-)

On this note, any changes that anyone has actually done and would like to be placed in the release version of the game can be emailed to me. (But you might want to discuss a proposal in the forum first if it's anything big).

If anyone has a suggestion for a better procedure for this, it'd be welcome.

David
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

I have tried to do change some units, but i'm not sure if I have done it correctly.
arch-mage.bmp
assasin.bmp
elder-mage.bmp

Phew, there are many images to convert!
lohari

Post by lohari »

I would also like to help with those images, but I'm not sure where to get the images... (yes, I'm a newbie on these kind of things)

And as I looked at pictures ettin had converted, the assasin.bmp seemed to have a different color of shadow than the others... possibly intentionally? (others had #191911 and the assasin had #191919)

So, if I would have some info on how to help, I would do that. :)
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

I would also like to help with those images, but I'm not sure where to get the images
Download the source code.
The units are in the images/ directory.
And as I looked at pictures ettin had converted, the assasin.bmp seemed to have a different color of shadow than the others... possibly intentionally?
No, just an error :P
miyo

Post by miyo »

I suggest that people post here when they begin working with the units. When unit is done, edit the entry and change status from WIP (Work In Process) to Done.

First:
Gryphon Lancer - WIP
Gryphon Hunter - WIP

Then:
Gryphon Lancer - done
Gryphon Hunter - done

- Miyo

ps. yes, I know there are no such units as Gryphon Lancer or Gryphon Hunter... they are just examples.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

lohari wrote:Ok, so I tried to convert a few pictures. Someone could possibly check them and let me know if they're ok or not?
They look fine, except for the human-fencer.bmp, which still seems to be #181818.

They better be fine, because I've added them to my development version, ready to be released with the next version :-)

The way I see it, doing all the images isn't exactly alot of work, like maybe an hour or so. Would it be possible for one person to volunteer to just go ahead and do them all? Preferably not fmunoz, because he's already overloaded with graphics work to do. It'd be a good easy task for someone new to the project, wanting to get involved to help out (hint hint lohari :-) ).

David
lohari

Post by lohari »

Dave wrote: They look fine, except for the human-fencer.bmp, which still seems to be #181818.

They better be fine, because I've added them to my development version, ready to be released with the next version :-)

The way I see it, doing all the images isn't exactly alot of work, like maybe an hour or so. Would it be possible for one person to volunteer to just go ahead and do them all? Preferably not fmunoz, because he's already overloaded with graphics work to do. It'd be a good easy task for someone new to the project, wanting to get involved to help out (hint hint lohari :-) ).
Hint taken :D It might take some time though... but I'll try to do it as soon as I can. (and also correct the human-fencer) :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay great, send me the images when you're done, lohari.

I forgot to mention, you can check if they are done right by getting the game to a point where the unit is displayed, and zooming in (use the 'z' key) to them and checking that their shadow is alpha-blended with the underlying tile.

David
lohari

Post by lohari »

Few more images to do... and I still have to test that they work ok.

But they should be done soon. Dave, can you fetch the images from web server if I make some kind of package of them (and give you the address), or do you want them some other way?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes, in a zip or tar file will be fine. Thanks for your work on this!

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Done
undead-necromancer.bmp
undead-necromancer-defend.bmp
undead-necromancer-attack.bmp
undead-necromancer-range.bmp
(nad maybe range2 and 3)
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

goblin-knight.bmp Done (and redone)
goblin-knight-attack.bmp
goblin-knight-defend.bmp
lohari

Post by lohari »

Images are now packed in a zip-file in:

http://www.sgic.fi/crossbow/wesnoth/wesnoth_images.zip

I have tested some of them and they seem to work quite fine... If there are some problems, just notify me and I'll fix them (if I know how). :wink: