The Reign of the Lords

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by The_Gnat » January 22nd, 2019, 8:59 pm

Konrad2 wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 9:21 am
Which folder is the right one, Dunefolk or Khalifate? Or both?
Hi Konrad2, the Dunefolk is the new version, Khalifate is only used in 1.12.

Awesome! :D I love the text improvements they are very helpful!

I will implement them all the suggested changes thank you! Also feel free to suggest idea changes as well if you want, some of the text can be repetitive or badly written. ;)

Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2067
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Konrad2 » January 24th, 2019, 9:54 am

Isn't 'magenta is the team color' being deceprated or something?

Descriptionwise the same:
Inferno = Colossal Flare
Nymph = Naiad

Please take note that some of the desriptions refer to their advancements precedessors by name, so changing a unit name has to be backed up by changing it in other descriptions if necessary.

Air Elemental, Air Avatar, Whirldwind, Inferno, Colossal Flare, Water Elemental, Water God
I have no idea how to reword those descriptions, as they rely on TLU lore, which is not a good think in an era for Wesnoth.
(It's not unlikely for more description relying on TLU, I'll add them here when I notice any.)
You might also want to remove any mention of 'the summoners', unless that's intended/works for your era.
And at the very least replace the old units names in the description with your new ones (Fire God -> Inferno)

Please inform me of any name/description changes of any unit I haven't covered yet. (I'm copypasting all those descriptions and names together so I can read and check them easier instead of look them up in their file once I want to work on it.)

Nothing below yet. Basically a list for me so I won't lose track.
Spoiler:

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by The_Gnat » January 24th, 2019, 11:28 pm

Konrad2 wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:54 am
Isn't 'magenta is the team color' being deceprated or something?

It is indeed. I need to remove it before 1.15 I believe. :)
Konrad2 wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:54 am
Descriptionwise the same:
Inferno = Colossal Flare
Nymph = Naiad

Please take note that some of the desriptions refer to their advancements precedessors by name, so changing a unit name has to be backed up by changing it in other descriptions if necessary.
Okay yes I will have a look at those two. I was too lazy in some cases to write new descriptions ;)
Konrad2 wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:54 am
Air Elemental, Air Avatar, Whirldwind, Inferno, Colossal Flare, Water Elemental, Water God
I have no idea how to reword those descriptions, as they rely on TLU lore, which is not a good think in an era for Wesnoth.
(It's not unlikely for more description relying on TLU, I'll add them here when I notice any.)
You might also want to remove any mention of 'the summoners', unless that's intended/works for your era.
And at the very least replace the old units names in the description with your new ones (Fire God -> Inferno)
Ah :mrgreen: Thank you for pointing that out, I will re-write those descriptions entirely.
Konrad2 wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:54 am
Please inform me of any name/description changes of any unit I haven't covered yet. (I'm copypasting all those descriptions and names together so I can read and check them easier instead of look them up in their file once I want to work on it.)
It looks like you have pretty much everything in the spoiler :D

Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2067
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Konrad2 » January 26th, 2019, 1:50 am

Fun fact: Celestial Messengers resistance to arcane is 10% less compared to the Mage of Glory.

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by The_Gnat » January 26th, 2019, 6:36 am

Konrad2 wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 1:50 am
Fun fact: Celestial Messengers resistance to arcane is 10% less compared to the Mage of Glory.
:whistle:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2067
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Konrad2 » February 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am

Spoiler:
EDIT:
You might want to update your text domains. You are using at least 3 for your units. 😅

EDIT 2:
EPITOME! That's the word we were looking for.
Last edited by Konrad2 on March 1st, 2019, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by The_Gnat » February 6th, 2019, 2:54 am

Konrad2 wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am
Dwarvish Royal Dragonier (are you talking about the dwarf or the weapon?)
Hmmm.... That is a good question ;) I think I am talking about the dwarf but it definitely was oddly written and had a lot of mistakes before :whistle:
Konrad2 wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am
(Finally finished with the dwarves. Maybe I'll manage to finish the rest of those units before 2020?)
:mrgreen: Yes there are a lottttttt of units ... but no rush. I really appreciate all the work you are doing!
Konrad2 wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am
You might want to update your text domains. You are using at least 3 for your units. 😅
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All your revisions for the dwarves look great thank you!

Wetkitty
Posts: 10
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Wetkitty » February 7th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Can someone tell me the password asked for reinforcements in tRoI-The Rising Storm turn 40? I lost it!

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by The_Gnat » February 8th, 2019, 7:58 am

Wetkitty wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 7:40 pm
Can someone tell me the password asked for reinforcements in tRoI-The Rising Storm turn 40? I lost it!
EDIT: Also note that if you play on EASY it doesn't matter you don't actually have to remember the password :)

Hello! :D The password is actually randomly created so I can't tell you what it is but if you press shift and : (the colon key) at once it will bring up a command line.

Type into the command line 'debug' and then enter.

Then open the command line again (shift and colon). Type into it 'inspect'. This will open the inspect menu.

If you go to the 'variables' section it will list a number of variables. Under the 'total_password' variable it will list the password. See here below: :D
inspect.png
Hopefully this helps! And if you have any other questions or any suggestions please let me know!

Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2067
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Konrad2 » February 19th, 2019, 10:40 pm

I have a possible spillover from your mod/era to a campaign without having the mod activated.
The campaign is 'Danse Macabre' (I'm also informing the maintainer, just in case), it's about a Revenant advancing. I had 3 options. Normal Draug and normal Death Knight (intended options) and your Death Knight (not intended option) that can advance further.
The question is, how did I get that option? Any ideas?
Attachments
wuriDM-Vengeance is Mine-Auto-Save44.gz
(89.08 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by The_Gnat » February 20th, 2019, 2:19 am

Konrad2 wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 10:40 pm
I have a possible spillover from your mod/era to a campaign without having the mod activated.
Hi Konrad2, thank you for noticing that error. Quite odd indeed.

I had a look at your save file and it seems that the Revenant was the only unit affected. I don't see how this is possible though, haha.

Since the last update I have changed the add-on so it no longer uses the old advancement frame work. Can you check the Revenant's unit description (in your saved game). What does it say the revenant will advance to? (normally it would only say 'Draug', but if a macro is enabled by the Danse Macabre campaign it could also say 'Death Knight').

However, as I understand it, the only time in which it would say "Draug, Death Knight, Death Knight" (where one is the RoTL unit) would be if the old code is still loading...

This might not be the case though, the alternative is that the unit description looks normal (and does not reference the RoTL Death Knight). That case, however, would be even more confusing because the only way the unit would possibly be over-ridden to now advance to the ROLDeath Knight is with the new Lua code. However, the new Lua code overrides the advancement completely and therefore should not include the other Danse Macabre Death Knight. (It is a bit hard to explain but hopefully this makes sense).

Perhaps a better way of explain is this:
  • option A) old code running: Revenant unit description will display the ROL unit Death Knight. (This is because the old code modified the description as well, which the new code doesn't)
  • option B) new code running: Revenant description will be unchanged but the unit will advance to the ROLDeath Knight. However, this is unlikely what is happening because Option B) would also remove the Danse Macabre Death Knight from the advancement... and it would effect every other unit in the game as well which seems to not be happening.
(The only other possibility is that the Danse Macabre campaign you are playing was modified by the old code before you updated the add-on? Is that a possibility, when did you start the campaign?)

Okay so long story made short I have no idea how this happened because it shouldn't be possible :lol: But hopefully we can solve this issue.

Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2067
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Konrad2 » February 20th, 2019, 8:56 am

The_Gnat wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 2:19 am
Since the last update I have changed the add-on so it no longer uses the old advancement frame work. Can you check the Revenant's unit description (in your saved game). What does it say the revenant will advance to? (normally it would only say 'Draug', but if a macro is enabled by the Danse Macabre campaign it could also say 'Death Knight').

However, as I understand it, the only time in which it would say "Draug, Death Knight, Death Knight" (where one is the RoTL unit) would be if the old code is still loading...
  • option A) old code running: Revenant unit description will display the ROL unit Death Knight. (This is because the old code modified the description as well, which the new code doesn't)

(The only other possibility is that the Danse Macabre campaign you are playing was modified by the old code before you updated the add-on? Is that a possibility, when did you start the campaign?)
So, to list off more information:
  • The description says that the Revenant will advance to 'Draug, Death Knight, Death Knight'.
  • This is true for any Revenant I can recall.
  • This is also true if I recruit a new Skeleton, look at it's description and click on the 'Revenant' advancement and look at it's description.
  • I started the campaign before you updated the mod/era, but I was only able to recruit Skeletons after you updated it.
My guess is that you forgot to rewrite a bit of code refering to Revenants/Death Knights or Danse Macabre interacts somehow with your era, causing the spillover. Or something else. :/

Comparing only the Undead base units I have avaible:
Spoiler:
Maybe the macro is a legacy from before the update? (Ancient Lich also has that macro. No other units do.)

EDIT:
That reminds me, when I was playing 'The Ravagers' (whitewolf), there was one scenario with a 'Reaper' that was using your sprite instead of the one the author intended.

User avatar
James_The_Invisible
Posts: 509
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 1:58 pm
Location: Somewhere in the Northlands, fighting dark forces
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by James_The_Invisible » February 20th, 2019, 11:05 am

Since there is already some discussion about it here, I will write here too.
Since version 1.2, Danse Macabre does not use custom Death Knight, Revenants in this campaign can advance to core Death Knights because of extra_defines=ENABLE_DEATH_KNIGHT in its [campaign] tag. Hope it helps.

User avatar
The_Gnat
Posts: 2074
Joined: October 10th, 2016, 3:06 am
Contact:

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by The_Gnat » February 21st, 2019, 2:39 am

Konrad2 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 8:56 am
So, to list off more information:
  • The description says that the Revenant will advance to 'Draug, Death Knight, Death Knight'.
...
This means my old code is definitely still running on your campaign

Konrad2 wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 8:56 am
  • I started the campaign before you updated the mod/era, but I was only able to recruit Skeletons after you updated it.
Ah... Here is the issue. The reason the old code was so bad is because it modified the game at startup by creating definitions. Because of this, even after you update the modification from the old code is still active because it was active when you began the campaign. With those definitions your units apparently have been permanently changed for the campaign hence the change to the description (which is generated on campaign startup).

The new code doesn't do this anymore which is why the descriptions won't be modified if the new add-on is running.
Maybe the macro is a legacy from before the update?
The macros all have been replaced in the new version and do nothing at all. It should not be possible for the new code to modify the unit descriptions so that is the tell tale sign.

So I think that is solved, thanks for the info! It is good to know it is not a new error but just an old error that decided to stick around haha ;)
That reminds me, when I was playing 'The Ravagers' (whitewolf), there was one scenario with a 'Reaper' that was using your sprite instead of the one the author intended.
Thanks for noticing that. It is just a case of two add-ons with images with the same name. I will re-name mine so it doesn't interfere. :)
James_The_Invisible wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 11:05 am
Since there is already some discussion about it here, I will write here too.
Since version 1.2, Danse Macabre does not use custom Death Knight, Revenants in this campaign can advance to core Death Knights because of extra_defines=ENABLE_DEATH_KNIGHT in its [campaign] tag. Hope it helps.
Thank you. Yes that is what my old code did as well which is why there were then two ^_^ good to have it sorted out now.

Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2067
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: The Reign of the Lords

Post by Konrad2 » February 21st, 2019, 8:56 am

The_Gnat wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 2:39 am
Ah... Here is the issue. The reason the old code was so bad is because it modified the game at startup by creating definitions. Because of this, even after you update the modification from the old code is still active because it was active when you began the campaign. With those definitions your units apparently have been permanently changed for the campaign hence the change to the description (which is generated on campaign startup).

The new code doesn't do this anymore which is why the descriptions won't be modified if the new add-on is running.

The macros all have been replaced in the new version and do nothing at all. It should not be possible for the new code to modify the unit descriptions so that is the tell tale sign.

So I think that is solved, thanks for the info! It is good to know it is not a new error but just an old error that decided to stick around haha ;)

Thank you. Yes that is what my old code did as well which is why there were then two ^_^ good to have it sorted out now.
Sorry for being a harbringer of bad news, but you are wrong.
I decided to start the campaign again and debug my way to the point where I can recruit Skeletons and take a look at their unit description now.
The bug is still there, so it can't have been caused by having the old version installed. (which wouldn't have explained why it happens only to the Revenant)
Attachments
wuriDM-Return of the Living Dead-Auto-Save1.gz
(27.2 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Post Reply