The Aragwaithi version 1.0.9 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

The Aragwaithi version 1.0.9 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

Post by Astoria »

Please post any bugs or balancing issues here.

Unit tree:
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/The_Aragw ... US/TA.html

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Known Issues:
- Image paths overlap with other eras.
Last edited by Astoria on January 6th, 2013, 12:21 am, edited 16 times in total.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.0 for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Good to see the Aragwaithi back in action. 8)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.0 for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.1 released!

Changes:

Code: Select all

Version 1.0.1:
- Stongbow: -1 damage melee, +1 damage ranged.
- Greatbow: -1 damage melee, +1 HP.
- Flagbearer: -1 MP.
- Captain: -1 MP.
- Ancient Banner: +1 MP, removed steadfast. +6 HP, added 10% resistance to blade, pierce and impact.

- Added the Ancient Banner as an advancement of the Captain.
- Added a macro for easier use in a campaign.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
taptap

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.1 for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by taptap »

I would prefer the protection ability or a variant thereof instead of standard leadership. (Aragwaithi do enough damage, but a 20% resistance bonus makes them really happy and is more interesting than standard leadership anyway - it was very handy in IftU.) However the protection ability would need a fix when used with custom high (50%+) resistance units in campaigns (it reduces them to 50% at least all the implementations of it I have seen so far).

I remember somewhere in the unit tree was a strange switch in the alignment from neutral to lawful with no reason whatsoever. I am not sure for what reason the Aragwaithi need the L0 lawful peasant as a recruitable unit.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

taptap wrote:I would prefer the protection ability or a variant thereof instead of standard leadership. (Aragwaithi do enough damage, but a 20% resistance bonus makes them really happy and is more interesting than standard leadership anyway - it was very handy in IftU.) However the protection ability would need a fix when used with custom high (50%+) resistance units in campaigns (it reduces them to 50% at least all the implementations of it I have seen so far).

I remember somewhere in the unit tree was a strange switch in the alignment from neutral to lawful with no reason whatsoever. I am not sure for what reason the Aragwaithi need the L0 lawful peasant as a recruitable unit.
AFAIK IftU uses the old stats where they have extremely low HP. As I've buffed their HP and nerfed their attack, I thought leadership would be better. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me about them.

About the alignment, the Guard line is supposed to be lawful. I was thinking about making the scout line lawful too, to differentiate it from the eagle rider a bit.

I added the peasant to bring more variety into their recruit list, and to add a bit more meat shield capabilities. As the Aragwaithi are pretty frail, I thought this would benefit stratagies relying on leadership. Coming back to your protection idea, I think this would break the peasant too. I'll change its alignment to neutral though.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Well, thanks for the fast answer.

1) Peasant
Does the peasant level up to Aragwaithi or Loyalist units then? I would drop the peasant for MP purposes, loyalist can't recruit it as well afair.

2) Protection
Well, this could add some defensive capabilities / survivability too. (In IftU with leadership from non-Aragwaithi source I found the high damage Aragwaithi L1 + leadership can get overpowered, but I don't know what works out best in MP, whether an ability should partially amend a weakness or increase a strength further but leave the specific weakness.)

3) Alignment
Era of Four Moons has a neutral / lawful mixed faction (Sea States) too. But it has a clear rationale behind it - line holders who have to defend are neutral, offensive units (archers, zebras) are lawful. I am not a big fan of variety for varieties sake. E.g. the Guard line is the slowest among all Aragwaithi, so you can't expect to use them offensively during ToD, but they will be attacked when they are weakest, making it lawful just weakens the faction for no effect whatsoever. The scout is mobile and would probably be ok as a lawful unit, but I guess the effect of only one lawful unit is in general too small to even bother and completely neutral is just as fine then, which would be my preference.

4) Warlock
Has a staff in the description, but "kick" as attack icon.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

taptap wrote:Well, thanks for the fast answer.

1) Peasant
Does the peasant level up to Aragwaithi or Loyalist units then? I would drop the peasant for MP purposes, loyalist can't recruit it as well afair.

2) Protection
Well, this could add some defensive capabilities / survivability too. (In IftU with leadership from non-Aragwaithi source I found the high damage Aragwaithi L1 + leadership can get overpowered, but I don't know what works out best in MP, whether an ability should partially amend a weakness or increase a strength further but leave the specific weakness.)

3) Alignment
Era of Four Moons has a neutral / lawful mixed faction (Sea States) too. But it has a clear rationale behind it - line holders who have to defend are neutral, offensive units (archers, zebras) are lawful. I am not a big fan of variety for varieties sake. E.g. the Guard line is the slowest among all Aragwaithi, so you can't expect to use them offensively during ToD, but they will be attacked when they are weakest, making it lawful just weakens the faction for no effect whatsoever. The scout is mobile and would probably be ok as a lawful unit, but I guess the effect of only one lawful unit is in general too small to even bother and completely neutral is just as fine then, which would be my preference.

4) Warlock
Has a staff in the description, but "kick" as attack icon.
I'll remove the peasant for now and fix the Warlock.
I was thinking about maybe giving the Captain and Ancient Banner protection, but lower level leadership. Do you think that is a good idea?

The Guards have been lawful since 1.2 IIRC. I see no reason to change that.

What I want to know:
- What are the opinions about leadership?
- What are the opinions about the Guard and Scout alignment?
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

Very nice faction. But I have some remarks for the Warlock line. I feel that almost every user made faction has a healing unit. This is not always necessary. See default era in comparsion. A warlock is considered to be a wizard, who is specialized to participate in wars. I don't think that he/she needs healing abilities. Teleport, moreover seems to be somewhat weird. But it's your flavor - great work, however!
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Spixi wrote:Very nice faction. However I have some remarks for the Warlock line. I feel that always every user made faction has a healing unit. This is not always necessary. See default era in comparsion. A warlock is considered to be a wizard, who is specialized to participate in wars. I don't think that he/she needs healing abilities. Teleport, moreover seems to be somewhat weird. But it's your flavor - great work, however!
The mage line is meant to be very strong, but very frail. It has been this way since EE, and I don't see the need to change it.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.2 has been released!

Version 1.0.2:
- Scout: +3 HP, -8 XP.
- Eagle Rider: -2 HP.
- Eagle Master: -2 HP.
- Lancer: -4 cost, +2 HP.
- Silver Shield: +8 HP.
- Shield Guard: -3 HP, added the protection ability.
- Guard: +2 HP.
- Halved the resistances of the Guard and Shield Guard, but instead gave them steadfast.

- Removed Peasant from recruit list.
- Fixed some inconsistency in the Warlock's description.
- Added a description for the Flagbearer.
- Re-added an old ability: Protection.
- Made the faction translatable.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.3 for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.3 has been released!

NOTE: THIS VERSION WILL BREAK ANY REPLAYS OR SCENARIOS USING THE SWORDSMASTER OR SORCERESS.
Special thanks to shadowmaster for helping me with fixing bugs!

Version 1.0.3
- Changed forest movement to 2 MP.

- Corrected spelling mistakes. (BREAKS SCENARIOS USING THE SWORDSMASTER OR SORCERESS)
- Fixed attacking sounds in the Warlock line.
- Cleaned up the code.
- Fixed a graphical bug when using the slayer.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.4 for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.4 has been released.

In this version, thanks to shadowmaster, all animations should be working correctly.

Version 1.0.4:
- Archer: -1 damage melee

Fixed the animations of the Spearman, Longswordsman, Warlock and Wizard.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.4 for Wesnoth 1.10

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.6 (and the forum post for 1.0.5) has been released:

This version features new animations from wayfarer's latest .zip.

Changelog:

Version 1.0.5:
- Flagbearer: -1 damage melee, -10% impact resistance, -20% pierce resistance.
- Captain: -10% pierce resistance.
- Ancient Banner: -3 HP.
- Guard: -1 damage melee, +2 HP.
- Shield Guard: +3 HP.
- Eagle Rider: -1 damage melee claws, -10% mountain defence.
- Scout: -1 HP.
- Witch: +1 cost, +10 XP.

- Renamed the Warlock to Witch. (BREAK SCENARIOS USING THE WARLOCK)

Version 1.0.6:
- Animation updates to the:
	- Guardian
	- Slayer
	- Sorceress
	- Spearman
	- Swordsmaster
 	- Witch
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.7 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

Post by Astoria »

Version 1.0.7 has been released to the 1.10 and 1.11 add-on servers.

This version includes a different system for add-on creators to include this faction in their add-on.

I hope you will all have fun with it, now also on 1.11.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: The Aragwaithi version 1.0.7 for Wesnoth 1.10 and 1.11

Post by Astoria »

Hello forums,

Lately I've been thinking about rebalancing the Aragwaith ranged units.
I feel like they're not strong enough , which isn't a good thing in a faction with just 2 units with a ranged option.
That's why I was thinking about maybe adding another unit to the faction, a crossbowman.
This crossbowman would have more HP but less melee damage than the archer, and will help buff range.
Do you think this is a good idea or do you have another idea about how to balance the archers, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
bumbadadabum.