PSR's Guide to making accurate Wesnoth maps from images

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

PSR's Guide to making accurate Wesnoth maps from images

Postby PapaSmurfReloaded » July 22nd, 2017, 4:30 pm

This a little guide on how to recreate maps in image formats as Wesnoth maps.
For this, I use a little app called "Peek Through" by Luke Payne, I won't provide links nor explain how it works but it is easy to find, and really simple to use. That app works by making windows transparent (at some degree the defined by the user). If you've got any other equivalent software that makes windows transparent, you can use it too.

------------------
Step 1:
Find the image of a map that you would like to recreate in Wesnoth.

Step 2:
Open the Wesnoth map editor and create a map of an appropriate size that is black(void/off map) or white(snow hexes). The reason for this is that these tiles will give you a high degree of contrast and it will be easier to create the outline of the map.
Keep in mind that the bigger the map(with more hexes), the more difficult it will be to draw the details of the map.

Step 3:
Make the map you choose transparent and put in position, make sure the area you want to copy is positioned within the drawing area of the Wesnoth Editor.

Step 4:
Turn off the transparency for the image window, and apply the transparency to the Wesnoth window.
Then start mapping! As I said earlier, in the beginning I find better to use terrains with contrasting colors (tipically black void and white snow) to make copying the outline easier.

Step 5:
When you are finished with the outline, start adding the map important spots (cities, castles, forests, mountains, etc).
------------------

I hope you guys find this useful. :)
Attachments
step1.png
Step 1
step2.png
Step 2
step3.png
Step 3
step4.png
Step 4
step5.png
Step 5
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!
PapaSmurfReloaded

Return to Multiplayer Development