Custom era for MP campaign

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Efinari

Custom era for MP campaign

Post by Efinari »

Can anyone tell me how to set a custom era for my multiplayer campaign? I have tried everything I can think of, but the campaign stubbornly insists on using era_default.

When defining an era, should it be textdomain-multiplayer or textdomain-{CAMPAIGN_NAME}?
When loading it in the _main.cfg file, should it be loaded under #ifdef MULTIPLAYER or #ifdef CAMPAIGN_{NAME}?

Is there something special you put in the [campaign] tags or the [multiplayer] ([scenario]) tags to make it work properly?
Kallin Efinari
---Creator of "LOTE Unit Release", "7p - Afterwards", and "Chain Lightning"
(Working on 1.12 port of "7p - Afterwards")
Managing compatibility between 4000K people's ideas of what happens? Forget it!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Custom era for MP campaign

Post by Ravana »

Havent dealt with campaigns, but most likely is allow_era: a list of era ids. Only the eras with matching ids will be allowed to be played with this scenario.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

I did try that, but the game seems to completely ignore it...perhaps because I'm using a [campaign] section in my _main.cfg file to actually initialize the campaign?
Kallin Efinari
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

This page describes how the campaign is displayed in the "Campaign" menu, and how it starts.
So, it seems that for mp you dont use that tag.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

The following keys are additionally recognized in multiplayer:
min_players: Minimum number of players campaign supports. Defaults to 2.
max_players: Maximum number of players campaign supports. Defaults to min_players.
allow_era_choice: Whether to hide era selection and use a default one when creating a game. Defaults to yes.
require_campaign: Whether clients are required to have this campaign installed beforehand to be allowed join a game using this campaign. Possible values 'yes' (the default) and 'no'.
The [campaign] tag has recently (I think as recently as 1.12) merged into the mp menu as well - it's used to add resources, credits, and difficulty levels. Otherwise you would just be plopped into the first scenario and at best select difficulty from a clunky in-game interface.

LoW (which is a hybrid campaign, not straight mp) still uses the [campaign] tags in the mp menu, but they have custom factions with fixed leaders, which I would prefer to avoid. I would think there would be a way to set the era either in the [campaign] or [scenario]/[multiplayer] tags, but it doesn't seem to work - for example, I can't even set it to use Age of Heroes instead of Default.
Kallin Efinari
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

From looking at the code it seems possible that 'allow_era' is ignored if 'allow_era_choice' is given. So did you try allow_era in scenario without allow_era_choice?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

I did try it without going through the [campaign] interface, and allow_era works properly. However, I don't prefer this solution because of the afore-mentioned reasons. When allow_era_choice is set to either yes or no (i.e., allow_era_choice exists, or the [campaign] tag is used at all) allow_era is ignored.
Kallin Efinari
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Hmm yes this sounds like a problem then, please fiel a bugreport/feature request on our bugtracker. Bot however that this wont be implemented in wesnoth 1.12 then (only for wesnoth 1.13)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.