Hi, we're already more than a month into 2013 with no wesnoth tournaments, something has to give.
For those missing their competitive wesnoth fix, here is: The Alternate Frontier(TAF)!
Essentially this a 1v1 tournament using alternate era
, which can be downloaded from the add-ons server though it will be updated once more before the tournament begins. You have 1 week to sign up below.
- TAF is a wesnoth 1v1 tournament. It is to be played on the latest version of wesnoth 1.10. If a new version is released, players may play on the old version for up to one week. Then all games must be played on the latest version.
-All games are to be played using "Alternate era", using map settings, and everyone must choose the Random faction. It is permissible to restart mirror games.
-I will wait to see the number of players before finalising the tournament format. I hope to have two reasonably sized groups, where everyone will play each other once before a final.
-In addition entrants will be split into 2 or 3 grades(again depending on numbers) depending on their skill level. There will be 1 final for each grade, between the top two players from that grade in each group. If the group winners do not come from the first grade then this may mean more than 3 finals. The grades will be based on ladder rank, but will be ultimately determined by me. The tournament is also open to non-ladder players and I will place you as best I can. The aim here is to keep the tournament interesting for as many players for as long as possible.
-To determine the group finalist, after the regular group games are completed, the top placed player will play 1 game against the 2nd place. If he wins, he goes through to the final. If he loses, they must play one more game with the winner going through to the final.
-In case of a tie between multiple players, the winner of the most matches between these players is ranked above the others.
-If there is still a tie after this process, eliminate the games played against the lowest ranked player(s). Continue to eliminate the games against the next lowest ranked player(s) until one player is ranked above the others.
-If this the tie is still not determined, play off game(s) may have to be arranged or unfortunately if I deem we do not have enough time for this, the ranking may be determined at random.
Player must use the RBY conservative and adventurous set to determine the map for each of their group games. However if a player rolls a map that he has previously played he may request a restart. He can only do this once per game however.
The games for the finals will be pre-picked by me, or if I am a finalist, I will entrust the task to someone else.
Players may mutually agree a timer between them or agree on no timer at all if they wish. If they cannot agree the standard timer is 5min per player per turn (300,300,300,0). If you end up with a larger than usual map such as Arcanclave then you may restart with new timer settings if you wish.
4. Rules regarding matches & forum
Players are obliged to inform when they will play the game in this topic and allow observers to join their games. Games played in the tournament system has to have a "TAF" acronym, number of the round/group & player names that participate in their names.
One of the players should upload the replay to the forum when the game is finished. I would encourage people to try split who uploads the game, the winner or loser, equally so as to increase the suspense for observers. The player should also report the result of the game in spoilers. Comments are very welcome too.
5. Cheating & rules abusing
Cheating is not allowed, cheating players will be banned from the tournament
Rules are never perfect, thus bona fides (good will) should be visible in player behaviour, if the player finds some part of the rules imprecise, malignant behaviour will be punished by an official warning. If the player continues to act in a malignant way, he/she may be banned.
6. Registration phase & Organisation Week
- Registration Phase starts today (15th of February, 2012) and ends next Friday (22nd of February). You can join the tournament sending me a PM with your server/forum nick or post in this topic. All players have to be registered on the boards to secure fluent communication between the opponents!
- It's my understanding that most of the players are in European timezones. In order to make it easier for people not in these timezones to schedule their games, it may be possible to have an American group or Asia/Australia group etc. If any player feels that playing around European timezones might be difficult, pm me with your timezone and I will try, as much as possible, to group you with people in a similar timezone.
- this tournament WILL require small part of your time, so please be sure that you will have enough of the free time to participate without causing major problems to the other tournament players & host.
- after Registration Phase ends, I will randomly assign players to their groups and the Group stage will begin.
7.Other cases not included in the rules
- other cases not included in the rules & rules breaches will be decided by me, I want to play in the tournament too so I urge other players to save replays from the games, post them here and observe other people's games to secure the maximum level of fairness in this tournament. I also promise that I will make a decisions in the best interest of every player of the tournament - if I am involved in some situation that will need some form of GM decision, I will cede my tournament host rights to another player to get a fair judgement
In general, my rule of thumb is to expect players to play ~3 tournament games every 2 weeks. I will put up exact round times when the player list and groups are decided.
For each two week period I will give each player a list of 3 other players in their group that they should play. Once you receive these names you should contact that player by PM, and arrange a time for your game. Players should complete these games in the 2 week period or come to me with a reasonable explanation why the games weren't completed and the date you have set to do so. Of course if you can play other people during this timeframe that would be great!
I will be quite strict with these rules. In the past a lot of my time has been spent chasing people around to play their games. In addition it can drag a tournament on and cause it to lose momentum. I have 3 possible punishments:
1.You lose the offending game
2.You are removed from the tournament
3.You are banned from any future tournaments I am running.
This will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
Final: I won't put a time limit on this, after all who want to decide our winner by elimination! However I expect both players to do their best to finish the games as soon as they are able. If I feel I need to intervene then I will.