Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp serv

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Locked
bert1
Posts: 240
Joined: December 6th, 2006, 10:39 pm
Location: Morecambe, UK

Post by bert1 »

I don't know who poor 'jouer' is, but he's always being impersonated.

PingPangQui
Posts: 267
Joined: July 18th, 2006, 11:52 am

Post by PingPangQui »

deoxy wrote: And how would you suggest going about ignoring them if you don't know who they are?
You don't need to know who there are. You only need to know that there are not who there pretend to be - and it shouldn't be a problem to find that out pretty fast, if you know the person you expected.
deoxy wrote: Seriously, what's the big problm with registration?
It simply is not necessary and makes things more complicated (sure registration on the mp servers has its advantages but it doesn't outweigh its disadvantages imho) .
deoxy wrote: A few of the commenters here really seem to HATE the idea of registration, and I have yet to understand what bothers them about it so... you have to register to post on these forums, for instance, but that doesn't seem to have bothered anyone...
A forum is a complete different thing. Your messages won't just be there for those who are logged in when you send them, would they? And as soon the people log off the messages don't just disappear, do they? Thus it is very important to know that the person that posted a comment to a topic a month ago is the same that posted today, for instance. Otherwise a forum might become unreadable.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.

User avatar
DEATH_is_undead
Posts: 960
Joined: March 4th, 2007, 3:00 pm
Location: Northern United States

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Freighter wrote:if the idea goes ahead that we can register our names so that noone else can give them a bad reputation. you will also have to consider the fact that another anti-social act will be made possible. any user can use all the names he/she can think of and register them all so that noone can use any of them, the server would have to be reset every month or so.

but for such a scenario to happen there is one counter measure that can be taken, simply limit the number of registered names allowed per ip address (about 5 because that still allows other players to register) but still allow them to login as other names. also let the user enable and disable the restriction or even allow more than 1 ip address to the server in case they get another computer or their computer breaks down and lots of things need to be changed.
You can change your IP though, and since the anti-social people have no lives and nothing better to do, they'll do that to get one for every time they log on.

bert1
Posts: 240
Joined: December 6th, 2006, 10:39 pm
Location: Morecambe, UK

Post by bert1 »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
Freighter wrote:if the idea goes ahead that we can register our names so that noone else can give them a bad reputation. you will also have to consider the fact that another anti-social act will be made possible. any user can use all the names he/she can think of and register them all so that noone can use any of them, the server would have to be reset every month or so.

but for such a scenario to happen there is one counter measure that can be taken, simply limit the number of registered names allowed per ip address (about 5 because that still allows other players to register) but still allow them to login as other names. also let the user enable and disable the restriction or even allow more than 1 ip address to the server in case they get another computer or their computer breaks down and lots of things need to be changed.
You can change your IP though, and since the anti-social people have no lives and nothing better to do, they'll do that to get one for every time they log on.
This is bonkers. Are you suggesting that they'll change their IP address 20 times so they can register 100 names, just to be a nuisance? The only person they'd be annoying is themselves. And there would still be 500,000,000,000 (or whatever) names left for everyone else to choose from. I think you must be a joker.

User avatar
DEATH_is_undead
Posts: 960
Joined: March 4th, 2007, 3:00 pm
Location: Northern United States

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

bert1 wrote:
DEATH_is_undead wrote:You can change your IP though, and since the anti-social people have no lives and nothing better to do, they'll do that to get one for every time they log on.
This is bonkers. Are you suggesting that they'll change their IP address 20 times so they can register 100 names, just to be a nuisance? The only person they'd be annoying is themselves. And there would still be 500,000,000,000 (or whatever) names left for everyone else to choose from. I think you must be a joker.
No. Just plain no. They'll do it because they have no life. i used to be like that, i know. One more thing, don't diss me like that. Got it?

Freighter
Posts: 70
Joined: February 5th, 2007, 4:14 am

Post by Freighter »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:One more thing, don't diss me like that. Got it?
hey, hey, hey. Settle down. bert1 if you are going to dis someone, dis what they say and don't dis the person directly. that way what you say gets interpreted as you not liking that idea and not a personal attack.
this is also the kind of behaviour that we are trying to stop on the MP server and you guys are just doing the opposite of what you are fighting for by typing on this thread.

besides, flame wars on the wesnoth forum can get you banned.
Wesnoth Acronym Guide
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothAcronyms

This link is here for my own purposes. But feel free to use it.

Darth Fool
Retired Developer
Posts: 2633
Joined: March 22nd, 2004, 11:22 pm
Location: An Earl's Roadstead

Post by Darth Fool »

Darth Fool wrote:Guys, take your discussion of personal cases elsewhere. This thread is about potential policy. It is not meant for people to argue about who is or is not a problem.
locked.

Locked