1.12 SP Naga campaign, Return of the Monster

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

1.12 SP Naga campaign, Return of the Monster

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,

This is the thread of SP Naga campaign, involving with some monsters, Return of the Monster, total 18 scenarios (16 game-play and 2 dialog). The game is supposed to be playable all scenarios (hopefully), but it is still a very early stage of its development, so feedbacks on all aspects of the campaign will be great appreciations.

This is a kind of like a spin-off campaign of Brave Wings because a dwarf, Montas, is in the game again. But the story is totally different from it. Nagas are the common enemy for Drakes on BW, but not in this campaign. Through the production of this campaign, I actually recognized how great Nagas are in the game.

- The game difficulty is much easier than FoaP campaign and also easier than BW campaign (I think), so it may be called a novice or easy intermediate level (but I have only tested on the normal difficulty so far, so no guarantee on the hard difficulty, yet).
- The most features in this campaign, especially the unit-images, are still under development, and the portraits probably won't be any better in the future as long as the part of the works is just myself. (of course, any contributions, including unit-images, will be gratefully received.:) )
- Although the story is a bit complicated, the dialogues have been rewritten, polished, or edited by Sneezy, so it is probably understandable.
- Two of our precious developers, zookeeper and Sapient, appear later on this campaign under their permissions. (zookeeper is just a model.)
- To me, Nagas are originally from India, so Asian taste slightly has been installed on this campaign.
- This is a none human campaign. Only humans who appear are some pirates as enemies.

Hopefully, it is enjoyable.:)

For BfW 1.10:
Required Wesnoth version: 1.10.x (probably, playable on 1.9.12 and later)
Current Return of the Monster version: 0.7.4 (no-longer developing)

The known issues by the authors:
- the shadow ability of Naga Ninja usually works as well, but it doesn't work once a while...

For BfW 1.11 and 1.12:
Required Wesnoth version: (1.11.15 - 1.11.16, and) 1.11.18 or later
Current Return of the Monster version: 0.10.0 (updated on July, 6th 2016)

Campaign Design: SkyOne
Co-Author: Sneezy
Guest appearances: Sapient as Sapient, and zookeeper as Master Zooke (Orcish Wizard)

Contributions:
- images;
-- Sapient's base image, - by Syntax_Error
-- Orcish Wizard (wizard.png), snow-princess.png (portrait) - by doofus-01
-- drake snowy villages, - by Neilarmius (added on version 0.7.3 and BfW 1.10 only)
-- portraits of fighter-tsi.png, fighter-tsi-dark.png, campaign-image.png, and as base image of amailoss.png (since version 0.8.5) - by thespaceinvader
--scepter.png (attack-icon), - by fmunoz
- WML;
-- Sapient's ninja-like movement, - by Sapient
(this is only available to see under a particular condition.)

Thanks
Last edited by SkyOne on July 6th, 2016, 2:13 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: 1.10 SP Naga campaign, Return of the Monster

Post by Sapient »

Nice :)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thanks, Sapient.:wink:

Even during the busy weeks, Sneezy spent a time to rewrite the pre-game storyline and the description of the main file for this campaign on the new version, 0.5.6, that is on the server. So the part is no-longer my English. I really appreciate it. :) We both (and Sapient) are hoping to contribute a good naga campaign here because there has not been many of those ever AFAIK.

There were some minor bugs on the previous version, 0.5.5.
- on scenario The Birth: Montas's speech showed even the potion was not there anymore - fixed

- on scenario Spiritual Zone: if someone, except Vev, moved to on the hex of 26,27 after the tablet was taken, he/she talked - fixed (hopefully)

- on scenario Orcish Wizard: one of the variables was not clear in a case - fixed

Others:
- added a portrait and a speech for Master Zooke's horse
- minor touches also on scenario The Birth, Spiritual Zone, and Orcish Wizard

Crossing with version 0.5.5 is supposed to be fine.

Thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

Enjoyed the campaign, but on the pirate mission I stopped playing. Didn't like the idea of nagas each scenario. But I did enjoy it while I played a few scenarios. :)
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

So, I played this campaign. Overall, it wasn't easy to create another campaign that was up to par with FoaP and BW. But you really managed to do it, and I say thank you for providing us another great campaign. :D
However, I found also some issues that ought to be fixed:
  • the objectives do not have carryover informations: you should add [gold_carryover] to every [objectives] tag
  • The Birth: at a certain point, a unit called "One Egg" was created; and now, I have "One Egg" in my recall list
  • New Leader: the message "Made it! Out of the pit, and back to this world. Now, I just need a new body!" is not shown due to a wrong ID
  • Naga Ambush should be renamed to Naga Ambusher
  • Kozmo: changing from Marksman to Magical is a RIPLIB violation, as the chance to hit a target in water is worsened. Perhaps you should use a modified version of Marksman
  • The Escape: I was able to kill the Death Knight, was this intended? If not, you can use FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT and put a note in objectives about this
  • Since in mainline we changed the AMLA requirement for all units to be level * 50, with 25 XP for level 0 units (instead of 150), all these units should be fixed:
    Naga Ambusher (100 XP), Goblin Archer (50 XP), Monstrous Carapace (100 XP), Orcish Dephtstalker (100 XP)
  • Perhaps the Drake Flare (Garashan) and the Nagini Maiden (Millissa) that you get in the campaign can be made loyal?
  • Finally, my stderr was spammed with errors about missing files; for this reason, I ran wmlscope:
Spoiler:
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
taptap

Post by taptap »

Did any testers play on hard? (Caves + high AI income, you know.) Anyway I wonder how people playtest an 18 scenario campaign in just two days, I guess I am too slow.

The animated terrain fires in the first scenario are shown above the fire guardians (not under them as it should be).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

tribes45 wrote:Enjoyed the campaign, but on the pirate mission I stopped playing. Didn't like the idea of nagas each scenario. But I did enjoy it while I played a few scenarios. :)
Hopefully, the reason why you just stop playing is: - because you don't like to play with nagas, not the campaign design...
Thanks for trying to play though.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:So, I played this campaign. Overall, it wasn't easy to create another campaign that was up to par with FoaP and BW. But you really managed to do it, and I say thank you for providing us another great campaign. :D
Oh, sure! That is all I can do so far for BfW as a none programmer and a none artist.
Thank you so much for your feedback.:) At this point, I really need those kinds of bug reports.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:the objectives do not have carryover informations: you should add [gold_carryover] to every [objectives] tag
That is right. Some of them are 100% of gold will be carryover to the next scenarios on this campaign. Thank you.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:The Birth: at a certain point, a unit called "One Egg" was created; and now, I have "One Egg" in my recall list
Eh! Really? That is a very strange bug. I am not sure why yet:

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=turn 4
        {REPLACE_SCENARIO_MUSIC "silvan_sanctuary.ogg"}
        [music]
            name="knolls.ogg"
            append=yes
        [/music]     
        [remove_item]
            x,y=14,10
        [/remove_item]
        [unit]
            side=1
            x,y=14,10
            type=One Egg
        [/unit]
        #[hide_unit]
        #    x,y=14,10
        #[/hide_unit]
        [redraw]
            side=1
        [/redraw]
        [message]
            id=Montas
            message= _ "Look ye!  Somethin' be happening to the egg!"
        [/message]
        {SCROLL_TO 14 10}
        [delay]
            time=300
        [/delay]
        {ROTM_EGG_LIGHT_BEAM}
        [kill]
            type=One Egg
            x,y=14,10
        [/kill]
Elvish_Hunter wrote:New Leader: the message "Made it! Out of the pit, and back to this world. Now, I just need a new body!" is not shown due to a wrong ID
Fixed. Thanks.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Naga Ambush should be renamed to Naga Ambusher
Naming units is one of tough things for me. According to the dictionary.com, there is one on #4:
ambush (ˈæmbʊʃ)

— n
1. the act of waiting in a concealed position in order to launch a surprise attack
2. a surprise attack from such a position
3. the concealed position from which such an attack is launched
4. the person or persons waiting to launch such an attack
So I thought it was okay. There is Saurian Ambusher, so I wanted to use something else. You or anyone have any ideas about the unit name?
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Kozmo: changing from Marksman to Magical is a RIPLIB violation, as the chance to hit a target in water is worsened. Perhaps you should use a modified version of Marksman
Oh, thank you. I did not know it. I will try something on the next edition. Kozmo is not a normal creature, so maybe, keeping it Magical in whole levels is okay.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:The Escape: I was able to kill the Death Knight, was this intended? If not, you can use FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT and put a note in objectives about this
I forgot to rise up their incomes and to test the way to defeat them. It will be balanced on the next edition hopefully.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Since in mainline we changed the AMLA requirement for all units to be level * 50, with 25 XP for level 0 units (instead of 150), all these units should be fixed:
Naga Ambusher (100 XP), Goblin Archer (50 XP), Monstrous Carapace (100 XP), Orcish Dephtstalker (100 XP)
:shock: Those make all of my campaigns carry the bugs.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Perhaps the Drake Flare (Garashan) and the Nagini Maiden (Millissa) that you get in the campaign can be made loyal?
Actually, they were, so was Rholas (a dwarf). The problem was that there are possibly eight loyal units at the beginning of the last scenario, even without the leader unit. The number is slightly too much if I add them as loyal units, because all loyal units should be on the maps at the beginning of all scenarios (as my favor). Could you tell me what you think?
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Finally, my stderr was spammed with errors about missing files; for this reason, I ran wmlscope:
I will try to fix those later on some around version 0.9.x, but I don't think I can remove either bell.wav and bell_copy.wav as long as I keep my favor. Each time the objectives show, bell.wav should ring. So I probably take my way for players. As my opinion, wmlscope should not mention them. :annoyed:
Thank you so much, though.:)
taptap wrote:Did any testers play on hard? (Caves + high AI income, you know.)
It seems Elvish_Hunter was on Easy, and I guess Sneezy was on Normal, so was I. Therefore, playing on Hard will be a great help.:) This is easy campaign, though, because I guess many young aged players will play, including you.:wink: Thank you as usual.
taptap wrote:Anyway I wonder how people playtest an 18 scenario campaign in just two days, I guess I am too slow.
Yeah, I was supposed to take two more day-off from BfW, but not anymore...:)
taptap wrote:The animated terrain fires in the first scenario are shown above the fire guardians (not under them as it should be).
I think it was fine on older BfW versions, and I don't think I can fix them currently...

Thank you for the feedbacks.:)
Hopefully, the bug fixed version will be updated shortly.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

SkyOne wrote:
taptap wrote:The animated terrain fires in the first scenario are shown above the fire guardians (not under them as it should be).
I think it was fine on older BfW versions, and I don't think I can fix them currently...
Yes, you can!
For the braziers, replace the items with the following code at scenario top level (not in any event).

{ANIMATED_BRAZIER 7 13}
{ANIMATED_BRAZIER 11 13}
You'll encounter the same problem with the full nests (halos in item tags always draw above units), so replace the "halo" key with "image" (fortunately, it looks like the nest is small enough to fit inside the hex without anything fancier.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Alarantalara wrote:For the braziers, replace the items with the following code at scenario top level (not in any event).

{ANIMATED_BRAZIER 7 13}
{ANIMATED_BRAZIER 11 13}
You'll encounter the same problem with the full nests (halos in item tags always draw above units), so replace the "halo" key with "image"
:D Excellent! It will remove some annoying things from all of my campaigns. My steps.png is always in front of any units and even the fogs.
Thank you so much for taking a look the scenarios.
Alarantalara wrote:(fortunately, it looks like the nest is small enough to fit inside the hex without anything fancier.
Yes, the empty-nest that I am using is a bit smaller than one in default, and the unit is always in front of the nest when she is born. Now it makes sense for me why it happens. The reason why I haven't used the default one is that I plan to add a hatched egg on the image in the future if I can draw successfully. But now, I am not sure what is the difference between images in items folder and scenery folder... the quality? or size? Well, it is not a big deal for me anymore.

Thank you so much for your advise.
And I appreciate your tasks for BfW and the forums.:)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:Eh! Really? That is a very strange bug. I am not sure why yet:
Now I see where the problem is. The egg was placed when a unit was already standing on 14,10. Of course, the egg was created on the nearest vacant hex. Givent that it wasn't at 14,10 anymore, the [kill] tag was unable to work. So, remove x,y= from [kill] and it should be fixed. :)
SkyOne wrote:Naming units is one of tough things for me. According to the dictionary.com, there is one on #4:
According to my dictionary, ambush is the action, and ambusher is the one who does the action.
SkyOne wrote::shock: Those make all of my campaigns carry the bugs.
Whoops. :augh:
SkyOne wrote:Actually, they were, so was Rholas (a dwarf). The problem was that there are possibly eight loyal units at the beginning of the last scenario, even without the leader unit. The number is slightly too much if I add them as loyal units, because all loyal units should be on the maps at the beginning of all scenarios (as my favor). Could you tell me what you think?
Well, if that's your preference to have all the loyals recalled at the start I think that it's fine. My opinion on this is that all units that join the player voluntarily, or because some other leader ordered them to do so, should be loyal. But, in this regard, I'm highly influenced by Heir to the Throne and Northern Rebirth...
SkyOne wrote: I can remove either bell.wav and bell_copy.wav as long as I keep my favor.
Who said that you should remove them? It's a bad practice linking to files that are in mainline but outside of the core directory, but you can just copypaste the file in your campaign. :wink:
taptap wrote:Did any testers play on hard? (Caves + high AI income, you know.) Anyway I wonder how people playtest an 18 scenario campaign in just two days, I guess I am too slow.
I played on Easy (my first go on campaigns is always on Easy), and I played it through four days. I was a bit favoured by my timezone, and by the fact that I downloaded it half a hour after that SkyOne announced it...
One thing that I was forgetting about the Nagini Maiden: some time ago, Vendanna made a female Naga spellcaster unit, named Naga Jackla. I liked the graphic, at the point that I'm using it in TSoG. In case that you're interested, it's available here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 30#p372240 .
If you need also the eggs, he drawn some - but they still need some work: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... gg#p337097
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

SkyOne wrote: Yes, the empty-nest that I am using is a bit smaller than one in default, and the unit is always in front of the nest when she is born. Now it makes sense for me why it happens. The reason why I haven't used the default one is that I plan to add a hatched egg on the image in the future if I can draw successfully. But now, I am not sure what is the difference between images in items folder and scenery folder... the quality? or size? Well, it is not a big deal for me anymore.
The difference isn't quality or size, it's that the items folder contains images of things that units are likely to pick up (like swords or potions), while scenery contains images of things that would not get picked up. There are a few images in scenery that are larger (circle-magic, mausoleum), but they're generally all small enough to fit in a single hex so that the item tag with an image key will work.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, Alarantalara. :)
I have one scenario that braziers light up in a moveto event (by removing brazier.png). I took a look the image-utils file in core/macro folder, but it seems that showing the animated braziers behind units is impossible in [event]s. Could you tell me it is possible to do or not (if you see this post)?
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
SkyOne wrote:Eh! Really? That is a very strange bug. I am not sure why yet:
Now I see where the problem is. The egg was placed when a unit was already standing on 14,10. Of course, the egg was created on the nearest vacant hex. Givent that it wasn't at 14,10 anymore, the [kill] tag was unable to work. So, remove x,y= from [kill] and it should be fixed.
I got it.:) Because I always know what is going to happen, I have never put a unit on the nest during the testings when Kozmo is born.
It has been fixed on the version 0.6.0 (untested yet).
Elvish_Hunter wrote:According to my dictionary, ambush is the action, and ambusher is the one who does the action.
Okay, on the new version, 0.6.0, the unit name is Naga Forager (by Sneezy), but it is only unit-name. I mean that the unit ID (unit_type) is still the same. If I can draw well its level=3, they are going to be edited (probably on version 0.7.0).
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Well, if that's your preference to have all the loyals recalled at the start I think that it's fine. My opinion on this is that all units that join the player voluntarily, or because some other leader ordered them to do so, should be loyal. But, in this regard, I'm highly influenced by Heir to the Throne and Northern Rebirth...
Okay, both a drake unit, Garashan and a nagini unit, Rialia, are loyal units on version 0.6.0.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Who said that you should remove them? It's a bad practice linking to files that are in mainline but outside of the core directory, but you can just copypaste the file in your campaign.
Aah, that is right! That was how mich fixed it on FoaP. :P
Elvish_Hunter wrote:by the fact that I downloaded it half a hour after that SkyOne announced it...
Appreciate it. ^_^
Elvish_Hunter wrote:One thing that I was forgetting about the Nagini Maiden: some time ago, Vendanna made a female Naga spellcaster unit, named Naga Jackla. I liked the graphic, at the point that I'm using it in TSoG. In case that you're interested, it's available here:
Thank you for the informations.
The Naga Jackla is obviously better than my Maiden, and I did not know it’s been animated. (Naginis should be cuter than Mermaids here.) The problem is that if Jackla replaces Maiden, all other Naginis should graphically be updated, also it makes all carapaces look ugly. But I should probably contact with Vendanna in the future.:wink:

Anyway, I have just updated version 0.6.0 on the server. The most of the things that Elvish_Hunter mentioned above have been fixed on this edition. But I did not have enough time testing them all. Hopefully, I did not spawn any new bugs on it.

Crossing with RotM 0.5.x is technically possible, but as I mentioned above, a drake unit, Garashan, and a nagini unit, Rialia, are loyal units on version 0.6.0, and some INCOME for side=1 has been adjusted because of them. Also, leader's portrait doesn't show if cross with the older version. So crossing version is not really suitable anymore. Sorry.

Thanks
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

SkyOne wrote:Thank you, Alarantalara. :)
I have one scenario that braziers light up in a moveto event (by removing brazier.png). I took a look the image-utils file in core/macro folder, but it seems that showing the animated braziers behind units is impossible in [event]s. Could you tell me it is possible to do or not (if you see this post)?
It's possible, but not through using the macro.

There are two ways to do it and both involve writing new terrain graphics definitions.
Option 1: Follow the instructions here to create an overlay terrain and then place it using the [terrain] tag in an event. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 01#p493881
Option 2: Start with the macro definition you found, add a variant in an alternate time of day set, define the new times and use replace schedule or time area to turn them on and off. This option is more complicated but allows you to layer more terrains if, for example, you already are using the lit terrain on top of the ground.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I guess I am not too bad a player, but I failed twice now with the first scenario. I know you love caves, but combined with your other love of high income opponents that trigger at some odd point (which is not known to the player) this scenario becomes seriously troublesome. I tried on hard but when looking at the AI income even normal must be pretty challenging. My dear allies especially the weakish fire elementals block the crucial space I would need to do enough damage to kill at least as much bats as are recruited new per turn. I will try once more, and I failed once more. Until turn 22 I make it at best and with fairly reckless play to the end of the small tunnel towards the lava --- but in fact I was there already around turn 8 but simply don't make progress from thereon at all! I end with: plenty of kills, but 34 happy bats still around and something like two hexes progress since turn 8. Unless I missed a shortcut avoiding the way through the second bat cave altogether I declare this unwinnable on hard.

Having a treasure case just as beautification is misleading.
Attachments
RotM-A_Rule_of_Nagas_replay.gz
It is a lost game, I forced next_level in debug to produce a replay.
(44.8 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Alarantalara wrote:
SkyOne wrote:Thank you, Alarantalara. :)
It's possible, but not through using the macro.

There are two ways to do it and both involve writing new terrain graphics definitions.
Option 1: Follow the instructions here to create an overlay terrain and then place it using the [terrain] tag in an event. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 01#p493881
Option 2: Start with the macro definition you found, add a variant in an alternate time of day set, define the new times and use replace schedule or time area to turn them on and off. This option is more complicated but allows you to layer more terrains if, for example, you already are using the lit terrain on top of the ground.
Thank you. I am glad to hear it.:)
As long as it is possible to do, I will try to fix it later on when I have enough time. I appreciate your thread.
taptap wrote:I guess I am not too bad a player, but I failed twice now with the first scenario. I know you love caves, but combined with your other love of high income opponents that trigger at some odd point (which is not known to the player) this scenario becomes seriously troublesome. I tried on hard but when looking at the AI income even normal must be pretty challenging. My dear allies especially the weakish fire elementals block the crucial space I would need to do enough damage to kill at least as much bats as are recruited new per turn. I will try once more, and I failed once more. Until turn 22 I make it at best and with fairly reckless play to the end of the small tunnel towards the lava --- but in fact I was there already around turn 8 but simply don't make progress from thereon at all! I end with: plenty of kills, but 34 happy bats still around and something like two hexes progress since turn 8. Unless I missed a shortcut avoiding the way through the second bat cave altogether I declare this unwinnable on hard.
Okay, I don’t want you to get frustrated on this campaign. Actually, I run it on hard, and got defeated, too. The normal difficulty is fine though.
This is a temporary solution. I wrote where/what I reduced on the scenario, and it performs easy enough on Hard. I need some more days to update the new version, so I attach it. Either normal and easy difficulties are the same as one on the server (0.6.0).
01_A_Rule_of_Nagas.cfg
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
taptap wrote:Having a treasure case just as beautification is misleading.
On the next version, I will do something at the part, replacing it to something else, adding a moveto event, or doing both.
Thank you for the feedback, and helping another thread.:)

P.S. to anyone: when I turned on TV in this morning, I accidentally saw a cartoon, Sonic X ? There is Cosmo in it as one of the characters. It doesn't relate to Kózmo on this campaign.
In addition, Ninja Turtles is nothing to affect me at all on the process of creating this campaign
Spoiler:
EDIT:
Version 0.6.1 went to the server on Apr, 4, including the scenario that I attached above. The most changes at this time are to update some unit images. So crossing with version 0.6.0 is just fine. A minor bug has been fixed on scenario 17_Return_of_the_Monster when Vevyan fires his flash ball. Also, the weapon special BACKSTAB has been added on Orcish_Depthtalker’s melee attack.:)
-------------------------------

EDIT:
Umm... I think the first scenario is still too hard on the hard difficulty, so just hold on please...

Thanks