How to compile with scons on Windows V1.5.1/Linux Mint

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

How to compile with scons on Windows V1.5.1/Linux Mint

Post by Pentarctagon »

1) Download the installers for pre-requisite software.

2) Install Git.
3) Install Python.
4) Install scons.
5) Install pywin32.
6) Install tdm-gcc-5.1.0-2.
6a) When installing, you need to uncheck the "Check for updated files" box and make sure that OpenMP is enabled.

7) Add Git, scons, and tdm-gcc-5.1.0-2 to your PATH environment variable.
7a) To do this: Start Menu > right click on "Computer" > click "Properties" > click "Advanced System Settings" on the left (requires administrator rights) > this will pop up a "System Properties" windows, click "Environment Variables..." towards the bottom right > Another window will pop up, go to the "System Variables" part and scroll down until you see "Path" > click it and then click "Edit..." > put all the locations of the .exe/.bat files for the above programs, separated by semi-colons.

Example of mine:

Code: Select all

;C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin;C:\TDM-GCC-64\bin;C:\Python27\Scripts
PATH Variable Hint
Easy way to avoid typing the entire path to somewhere
7b) You may need to restart your computer for it to use the updated PATH variable.

8 ) Open a command prompt and download the wesnoth repository by typing:

git clone git://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth.git Drive:/Path/To/Where/You/Want/Wesnoth
This will take some time, as the full repository is ~3 GBs.
This will also get the latest development version, to get the 1.12 version instead do:

git clone git://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth.git Drive:/Path/To/Where/You/Want/Wesnoth --branch 1.12
9) Download this, which contains all the requirements to actually compile the source code that you just downloaded.
9a) Extract it to wherever you told git to put wesnoth.
9b) Add <wesnoth directory>/scons_dependencies/bin to your PATH variable.

10) Go to <wesnoth directory>/scons_dependencies/boost_1_59_0
10a) Run make.bat.
10b) Wait for Boost to compile. This may take some time depending on your computer, but you'll never have to do it again.

11) Go to <wesnoth directory> and run make_scons.bat. This will build wesnoth.
11a) This may take some time, especially for the first build.

12) To update your files, just use:

git pull
from <wesnoth directory>
Optional:
------Known Issues/FAQ------

1) Scons may complain about a few things:

Checking for dbus-1... (cached) no
    Checking for fribidi >= 0.10.9... (cached) no
    Can't find libfribidi, disabling freebidi support.
    Checking for Boost unit_test_framework library... yes
    WARN: Unit tests are disabled because their prerequisites are not met
      If any config checks fail, look in build/config.log for details
      If a check fails spuriously due to caching, use --config=force to force its rerun
    NLS tools are not present...
    NLS catalogue installation is disabled.
    utils is not recognized as an internal or external command.
These warnings can also be ignored.

------Sources for dependencies------
Spoiler:
------Changelog------
Spoiler:
~~~~~~Linux Mint~~~~~~
0. Tested on Mint 17.2.

1) Install git from the Software Manager if you don't have it already.
2) Download the wesnoth repository with the command:

git clone git://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth.git /path/to/wesnoth
This will also get the latest development version, to get the 1.12 version instead do:

git clone git://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth.git /path/to/wesnoth --branch 1.12
3) While git is downloading the repository, go back to the Software Manager and install the prerequisites.
You can check what you already have installed via the Software Manager or with the dpkg command, for example to check for SDL libraries:

dpkg -l | grep '||/\|libsdl'
which for me returns this.
NOTE: If you install the full boost package rather than the individual libraries, dpkg will for whatever reason not being able to find the asio library but it is there.
4) Download the attached scripts.7z archive and extract it to your wesnoth directory. It will contain two bash scripts.
4a) start.sh will start wesnoth without a terminal open and log all output to wesnoth.log
4b) update.sh will run the command

git pull
and offer to recompile/restart/do nothing based the output which is saved to git.log. It will use scons to compile wesnoth and save the output to scons.log.
NOTE: By default I've set scons to use the --config=force option which forces scons to recompile everything each time. To only recompile files that have changed just remove that option from the scons command.
NOTE: By default I've set scons to use clang, to use a different compiler set the value of the cxxtool option.
NOTE: This will kill wesnoth, so it WILL NOT save before closing.
Attachments
scripts.7z
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
iceiceice

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows

Post by iceiceice »

Note: I put a link to this on the wiki: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CompilingWesnothOnWindows
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows

Post by Pentarctagon »

Also, I've made a post on stackoverflow about the bzip2 issue, so hopefully there'll be an answer.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.2

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Thanks for this :)

Something to note, a reboot may be required for Path variable changes to be recognized, it needed it on my system (Win 7 x64).

Also, when I run make_scons.bat, it seems to do a full rebuild every time, even if nothing's changed. Is there a setting I'm missing?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

In the make_scons.bat file on line 37, change

call scons -j %coreCount% --config=force 2> scons_log.txt
to

call scons -j %coreCount% 2> scons_log.txt
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

Well... I don't know it helps, but I try to share my experience when I compiled wesnoth 1.8.0 on Windows (now I don't have Windows anymore, and a lot of time passed from 1.8.0).

---------------------------------

Compiling Wesnoth on Windows, with Mingw gcc / g++ and scons:

----------------------------------

1) First of all you require to download a window version of PkgConfig, that allows you to find libraries, and eventually modify .pc files you need

2) sdl-config replacement -> if you, like me, don't use cygwin you need to replace somehow the output of sdl-config. I resolved creating a sdl-config.exe file, but you can simply create a sdl-config.bat file... I don't know how exactly a bat can parse command line, however you can echo all the flags together (linking and compiling ones)... scons will use the cflags when compiling and lflags when linking. I don't remember the CFLAGS, but the most important linking flags are
-L"path\of\SDL.dll" -lSDL_main -lSDL
for compiling flags you will need surely -I"include\path\of\SDL", but I miss if some defines are required

3) Make sure that gcc, g++, make, PkgConfig and sdl-config (.bat or .exe created by you) are in path

4) Development libraries - dependencies of Wesnoth. Make sure you have all .dll and .h you need. In some cases you can use precompiled development libraries (if they cames from c, like SDL, you can use also .DLL builded with Visual Studio) but in some cases you need to compile libraries by yourself... for example you need to compile yourself boot libraries. Check the corresponding .pc file used on PkgConfig and change it if you placed somewhere else .h and .DLL files

5) download and install python... this can be obvious, since we are using scons, but we must don't forget it

6) download and install scons

7) run scons (I simply runned "scons", when I compiled 1.8.0, if I remember well) from the main directory of the wesnoth sources

8_) finally wesnoth.exe produced somewhere. You could need to move some .dll (s) to the directory where you will move the newly produced wesnoth.exe

HOPE this helps, and hope I didn't forget anything (a lot of times passed)
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.3.1

For anyone who was wondering, the 1.3.1 version of scons compile works on the 1.12 branch as well, from about 1.11.17 on.
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
iceiceice

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.3.3

Post by iceiceice »

Just a comment to possibly improve the script:

Since you said "it takes a really long time but fortunately you never have to do it again", I took a look at your boost configuration line in make.bat:

call bjam -j %coreCount% -s ZLIB_SOURCE=%dependencyDir%\zlib -s BZIP2_SOURCE=%dependencyDir%\bzip2 --toolset=gcc 2> make_log.txt
This line will compile every single library in boost. There's like 60+ of them, and some of them are huge. We only use 6 of them. If you add these options to the bjam line, you will only compile the ones we actually use, and it should go much faster.

--with-iostreams --with-locale --with-regex --with-filesystem --with-system --with-program_options
The downside is that if we add more of them you have to remember to add them to the list here, but that doesn't seem like such a big deal.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.3.3

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wow, that is a lot faster. It does also need

--with-random
as well though.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.3.8

Post by Pentarctagon »

Confirmed it to be working with Windows 10 64-bit.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.3.8/Linux Mint

Post by Pentarctagon »

Added some basic instructions for Linux Mint.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Has anyone had this working for master since commit:
8f8fde43bad8089c1735a37001e4a44e91f212b5
* fs: Use SHGetFolderPath() instead of SHGetSpecialFolderPath()
on 2015/10/20 ?

The Windows Scons compile doesn't work for me after that, and I did a clean install of master and Windows Scons 1.3.8 version.
Here's my log.
Spoiler:
Would fixing the "src\filesystem_boost.cpp:517:13: error: 'SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT' was not declared in this scope" error at the bottom work, or would this be an adjustment to the Windows Scons method, or something else?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Are you using MinGW? You might want to try a newer version or MinGW-w64 (greatly recommended as vanilla MinGW can’t build SDL 2.0’s headers, which will become a hard requirement in 1.13.3). In general, MinGW appears to be lagging years behind MinGW-w64 in terms of support for APIs introduced after the original Windows XP RTM build.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:Has anyone had this working for master since commit:
8f8fde43bad8089c1735a37001e4a44e91f212b5
* fs: Use SHGetFolderPath() instead of SHGetSpecialFolderPath()
on 2015/10/20 ?

The Windows Scons compile doesn't work for me after that, and I did a clean install of master and Windows Scons 1.3.8 version.
Here's my log.
Spoiler:
Would fixing the "src\filesystem_boost.cpp:517:13: error: 'SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT' was not declared in this scope" error at the bottom work, or would this be an adjustment to the Windows Scons method, or something else?
I haven't built wesnoth on windows for a while now, having moved to Mint, but I am getting the same error as you now that I try it.
shadowm wrote:Are you using MinGW? You might want to try a newer version or MinGW-w64 (greatly recommended as vanilla MinGW can’t build SDL 2.0’s headers, which will become a hard requirement in 1.13.3). In general, MinGW appears to be lagging years behind MinGW-w64 in terms of support for APIs introduced after the original Windows XP RTM build.
It uses MinGW since that's what comes bundled with the tdm-gcc installer. tdm-gcc has stayed at 4.5.2 32-bit since I was never able to get wesnoth to compile with any higher version, nor with the 64-bit version of tdm-gcc that comes with MinGW-w64. Apparently that has changed somewhat recently, though 64-bit is apparently still not supported.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Pentarctagon wrote:It uses MinGW since that's what comes bundled with the tdm-gcc installer. tdm-gcc has stayed at 4.5.2 32-bit since I was never able to get wesnoth to compile with any higher version, nor with the 64-bit version of tdm-gcc that comes with MinGW-w64. Apparently that has changed somewhat recently, though 64-bit is apparently still not supported.
You can use the 64-bit version of TDM-GCC and it may in fact yield better results with some large files in -O0 mode (as opposed to crashing due to hitting object size limits); you just need to add -m32 to the compiler and linker command lines, and -F pe-i386 to the windres command line, to make sure the output targets x86 (this is important since our SDK only contains x86 DLLs and import libraries).

Or you can use 32-bit compilers with MinGW-w64, but don’t ask me how. loonycyborg might know since he obviously managed to build 1.13.2 somehow and he confirmed he’s using MinGW-w64 now.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.