How to compile with scons on Windows V1.5.1/Linux Mint

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.3.8/Linux Mint

Post by loonycyborg »

I used TDM mingw-w64 5.1.0 from http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/. I added multilib_arch option to scons to make 32-bit binaries since mingw-w64 makes 64-bit binaries by default. multilib_arch=32 would pas -m32 both to compiler and linker. I also upgraded boost to 1.59. Didn't get any errors with this setup.
"meh." - zookeeper
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

My latest attempts used tdm-gcc 5.1.0 64 & 32

I built boost 1.59 as 32-bit with the tdm-gcc 5.1.0
(if using 64x, make.bat needs a _64 for the path to bjam & a address-model=32 when calling bjam.)
Choice of 32 or 64 bit compiler had no effect on how the 32-bit boost was built or the output of the compile attempts, other than the above.
altered the 1.3.8 win scons make_scons.bat appropriately and ran it.

here's my log for the attempt with 5.1.0 64bit compiler
I used the multilib_arch=32 with this run
The compiler seemed to run despite the first line of the log...
A bunch of warnings & then mention of incompatibility at the end of the log.
Spoiler:
here's my log for 5.1.0 32 bit compiler
it mentions the "'SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT' was not declared in this scope" whereas the 64-bit didn't
Spoiler:
I didn't use "-F pe-i386 to the windres" as I didn't know how to fit it in, and loonycyborg's post didn't mention it. Should it have been used?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:I didn't use "-F pe-i386 to the windres" as I didn't know how to fit it in, and loonycyborg's post didn't mention it. Should it have been used?

Code: Select all

C:/Compiling/TDM-GCC-64-510/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.1.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `packaging\windows\wesnoth.o' is incompatible with i386 output
Yes, because this error is caused by windres compiling resources for x86_64 by default. I don’t know how to set its command line with SCons, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

SigurdFireDragon wrote:My latest attempts used tdm-gcc 5.1.0 64 & 32

(if using 64x, make.bat needs a _64 for the path to bjam & a address-model=32 when calling bjam.)
Choice of 32 or 64 bit compiler had no effect on how the 32-bit boost was built or the output of the compile attempts, other than the above.
Could you post how you called bjam/scons? I had tried adding the address-model=32 option, but in the configuration checks it still stated that it was building as 64-bit. On the other hand, it's being built in a path containing "address-model-32" so maybe it is actually 32-bit? I'm assuming it's not though, since when I go to build scons it fails every pre-requisite check except for: m, round(), g++ >= 3.3, Boost smart_ptr library, pango with cairo backend, and fontconfig.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

SigurdFireDragon wrote:My latest attempts used tdm-gcc 5.1.0 64 & 32

I was somewhat unclear there...those lines read better with:
I built boost 1.59 as 32-bit with both tdm-gcc 5.1.0 64 & 32
(if using 5.1.0 64x to compile boost, make.bat needs a _64 for the path to bjam & a address-model=32 when calling bjam.)
Choice of 32 or 64 bit compiler had no effect on how the 32-bit boost was built or the output of the scons wesnoth compile attempts, other than the above.
Here's how I changed the make.bat for building boost with the 64-bit compiler:
(Note I put put 'set PATH' in my scripts instead of in Start Menu -> Computer -> Properties, as it's quicker for changing things)
Spoiler:
Here's what the 32-bit compiler make.bat that I tried looked like:
Spoiler:
Though as above, both produced the same error log when used with scons (the "here's my log for the attempt with 5.1.0 64bit compiler" from my last post)

Here's my current make_scons.bat
Spoiler:
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Ah, apparently it has to come before other options. I had placed it between BZIP2_SOURCE and --toolset which didn't work. As a side note, specifying:

cxxflags="-m32" linkflags="-m32"
also works.

For passing additional options to windres, in <wesnoth>/packaging/windows/SConscript there's a variable RCFLAGS used on line 11 which I assume would be used for this purpose, but I am not sure how to pass it in from the command line. Adding the option after "$RCFLAGS" manually does work and wesnoth compiles successfully, though now trying to run the executable gives the error:

The procedure entry point GOMP_parallel could not be located in the dynamic link library libgomp-1.dll
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Tried the wesnoth>/packaging/windows/SConscript hack that you mentioned, got the same result.

Compared the libgomp-1.dll within the win scons pack (46 KB) to the one that was installed with Wesnoth 1.13.2a (128 KB)
swapping in the larger one produces a different error - a windows "Wesnoth Game Client has stopped working" when I try to launch it.

EDIT:
Removed all the dll's that came with win scons 1.3.8 method and swapped in all the 1.13.2a dlls. Had to add back in libhistory6.dll as well (as the win scon 1.3.8 method uses this optional dll), and that got wesnoth running. :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Alright, I've can get it to compile, but when trying to run it I immediately get a "program is not responding" error. I'm assuming that's because I'm missing a dll, but I have no idea what it is since the error itself says nothing useful. I'm using all the dlls from the 1.13.2a download minus the old SDL1.2 dlls and have overwritten any existing dlls that also came with the SDL2.0 development file downloads.

Are there any other new libraries that need to be added/updated?
dlls:
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Went to add the SDL 2.0 like you did, and it compiled and ran for me. I'm not sure what I did differently from you so I'll list it here, being overly specific to avoid any confusion.

1. Downloaded all the SDL runtime binaries from https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php & https://www.libsdl.org/projects/ (for image, mixer, net, rtf, & ttf ) (the 32-bit Windows ones with -win32-x86.zip at the end)
2. Dumped all the new SDL dlls overtop the old ones (the 1.13.2a dlls) in my wesnoth master folder, overwriting any with the same name.

3. Downloaded all the Windows development libraries for the above components (the MinGW 32/64-bit ones with -mingw.tar.gz at the end)
4. Unpacked and merged all the i686-w64-mingw32 folder contents inside those archives.
5. Dumped the merged folders into the scons-dependencies folder, and told windows to overwrite any files with same name

6. Used the latest master (2015-12-21 - sha: 571014f374e6e7d8767ac93736bbeb494fbe5488)
7. Compiled and it ran.
Last edited by SigurdFireDragon on December 22nd, 2015, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Where did you get the SDL2.0 RTF binary? The project page says it's for SDL1.2 and has only the source code download available. The description also says it's a sample library.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth uses SDL_ttf, not SDL_rtf.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Pentarctagon wrote:Where did you get the SDL2.0 RTF binary? The project page says it's for SDL1.2 and has only the source code download available. The description also says it's a sample library.
Ooops, I don't have a SDL2.0 RTF binary, or anything for it at all. That was a mistake.
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

I've committed a change that makes scons pass -F pe-i386 for multilib 32bit builds. Also I've uploaded my current dependency archive for dev branch. It contains SDL2 too.
"meh." - zookeeper
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Interestingly, it turns out it wasn't the libraries, it was the "-O3" option I was adding via extra_flags_release. The default release of "-O2" works fine and on Mint the option "-O3" works fine, but for whatever reason it causes problems on Windows now.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: How to compile with scons on Windows V1.3.9/Linux Mint

Thanks Pentarctagon, shadowm, & loonycyborg for helping getting this running again.