Fate of a Princess

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Fate of a Princess

Post by SkyOne »

This is the feedback thread for Fate of a Princess.

Reviewing just a scenario and a part (part-1 or part-2) will be as welcome as reviewing the whole campaign.
If reviewing just a scenario, please post what the title or the number of the scenario is.

The Questions:

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play?

2. What version of Fate of a Princess (or the scenario) did you play?

3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign? (easy/normal/hard)

4. How difficult did you find the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)

5. How clear did you find the objectives on the scenario or the campaign? (1-10)

6. What aspect of the campaign needs the most work? (dialog, unit images, etc.)

7. Which part of the campaign did you like? (part-1/part-2)

8. How do you like the story on this campaign? (1-10)

9. Do you have any additional comments?

10. What was your impression when you finished the campaign? (achievement, weariness, sadness, etc.)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Kraus

Re: Fate of a Princess

Post by Kraus »

Hi.

I'm not still ready to post a full review, since I'm kinda in a hurry, but since I finished at last part one last night on normal or challenging (don't really remember which, might've been normal for a change), I must say I love it. A lot. This should, according to the first part, be considered mainline. Just that some custom made sprites, while very unique and lovely as characters, had some proportion problems. Head and armour way too large compared to the horses, things like that.

But the dialogue and challenge was great. Original art would be so great too, and overall revision of the rogue wizard sprite line. Other than that, very nice job - and I'm actually thrilled to know what the hell's going on in part 2! What is honestly very uncommon in Wesnoth stories, which are in fact very often mainly cliché and dull, is that I really was surprised many an occasion, and I'm actually eager to know what's going on. Especially the characters and unique units of part 1 were memorale and I really got attached to them.

Maybe the part 1 was a touch too easy?

Anyways, I'll try to post a more thorough analysis later, especially if I notice anything.

Oh, and using 1.8.2 by the way.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, Kraus, so much for the nice comments. :smile: I am so glad to hear that you like the part one. I actually enjoyed a lot to create the story, the unit images, and the scenarios of the part. One of the biggest reasons is that the dialog is PG-13. There was actually the model of Baron Baldres in my real life.

The dialog has been rewritten by Simoms Mith, who is a writer, except scenario 5 and 5b, although we still have to make some corrections. And the game has been modified also organized by mich to enjoy it. Each of the dialog and the game was not enjoyable when I worked it just by myself. So I personally appreciate both of them pretty much.

You probably have already known what is going to happen to all heros of the part one on the part two. I wanted to tell some messages to young aged players through the campaign on each of the parts, so I was not able to leave them in the same way as the part one. The part two is probably more normal to play than the part one.

Currently, my computer is not available to use because the monitor has broken down for a while, but we are still working on the campaign to make it better. We plan to add some translations on the next edition. (thank you, the Hungarian translation team :smile: )

We hope that you continue to play and enjoy it through the end.:smile:

Thanks
Last edited by SkyOne on July 16th, 2010, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
chino2468

Post by chino2468 »

Hey =]

I REALLY liked the first part of the story, though I found it a bit hard at times. Probably because I like to buy just a few units and go all out with them and my leader units. Still, it was interesting to play, and I liked the custom units.

It's a real pity that there's such a change or separation between the first and second parts. Maybe an interlude? Or add an extra part in the middle? Because once I started really liking my units and the story, it changes so much, it's as if I was playing a different campaign.

Still, I say this not as a criticism at all: as I said before, I really enjoyed this campaign, and I think you've done a great job.

Just because you took the trouble of posting a list of questions, I'll answer them:

1. What version of Battle for Wesnoth did you play?
I've the last available version.

2. What version of Fate of a Princess (or the scenario) did you play?
Same here.

3. What difficulty level did you select to play the campaign?
(easy/normal/hard)

4. How difficult did you find the scenario or the campaign?
(6-8)

5. How clear did you find the objectives on the scenario or the campaign?

(8)

6. What aspect of the campaign needs the most work?
As I said, I think I'd like a smoother transition into the second part.

7. Which part of the campaign did you like?
(part-1/part-2)

8. How do you like the story on this campaign?
(8-9)

9. Do you have any additional comments?
I'd focus more on the first part of the story, maybe make it a bit longer, and smooth out the transition into the second part.

10. What was your impression when you finished the campaign?
I think I'm missing a bit of the second part. But of the first part, I felt both achievement and sadness =]
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, chino2468, and sorry for delaying to reply.

I am glad to hear you like the part one.

Actually, the part one was not the game when I originally created the campaign. It was just a pre-game storyline. The campaign was supposed to start with 07 Broken Treaty. As you can imagine; however, the pre-game storyline was too long, like more than 10 screens, so I decided to create it as the part one. So it is interesting for me that each of you and Kraus likes the part one more than the part two.:smile:

We might add 1-3 scenario(s) on the part one in the future, but total 25 scenarios block us to add any scenarios a little bit. (Wasn't it too long, was it?)
chino2468 wrote:8. How do you like the story on this campaign?
(8-9)
This is huge for me. Thank you! :smile:

By the way, the new edition, 0.7.6, is on the server.
At this time, we changed resistances for all hero units of part one. Also, an ability (heals+2) has been added on Caravan unit. (+ some other changes)
Therefore, we will appreciate if somebody tests and feedbacks for first some scenarios. I will try during this weekend, but testing all difficulty-level takes some times.

Thanks
chino2468

Post by chino2468 »

Will do as soon as I get some spare time
Keep up the good work! =]
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, chino2468.
I probably should have written these on the previous post. The resistances for all hero units on part-1 were:

Baldres units: blade=80, pierce=70
Jil units: blade=70, pierce=80
Ishlars units: blade=80-90, pierce=60

But usually, mounted units are weak for the pierce attacks, so we made them all: blade=60, pierce=100 on the 0.7.6. (other resistances are the same as Loyalist Dragoon/Cavalryman)

What we worry is Horseman's and Elvish Archer's pierce attacks on the first three scenarios. They may make the scenarios a bit harder. I was supposed to test them last night, but editing .po file took my time through the morning, and still unable to finish it as well. If I make even one error on it, it is not going to be a .mo file as well. Well, it is just my issue.

So I test it now on Sunday at 2am on HARD. It will probably make me miss to watch the British GP and WC final. It's sad, but it is the way of my Wesnoth.:smile:
chino2468

Post by chino2468 »

lol!

Try to take a break to watch the final match =]
Good luck with that
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

The first three scenarios are still balanced fine. It seems the campaign is an (upper) intermediate level. The biggest enemy for the heros is Longbowman now actually. (I got defeated once by him on the second scenario.)
chino2468 wrote:Try to take a break to watch the final match =]
I actually saw the repeat after cutting off all informations about the result until I watched.
Congratulations, Spain.:smile:
galicae
Translator

Post by galicae »

Hi there.
I didn't play all of the campaign, but I comprehensively studied all WML files (yes, I'm a geek type of guy), and I really liked it. Nice dialog - except for some slight mistakes, which didn't bother me, since I'm not a native speaker myself. Nice overpowered units (there was no way Jil could die if you were the least careful), nice storyline - I liked better the first part, and would like it to be more smoothly connected with the second, nice custom units and nice names for the big-cannon-that-changes-name-every-time-you-refer-to-it.

overall well done!!

EDIT: I wanted Spain to lose... :(
working on the greek translation
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thanks for playing, galicae, and good to see you.:smile:
galicae wrote:nice names for the big-cannon-that-changes-name-every-time-you-refer-to-it.
Yes, it is nice. All of them have been written by Simons Mith. If I put the names by myself, they were Tomahawk and Scud.. :razz:
galicae wrote:EDIT: I wanted Spain to lose...
I am not particularly an ESP fun, but they played well in the entire tournament, except a game against Switzerland.
Greece should have been in the final 16, although Uruguay also played very well. (they were supposed to meet at the first game of the final 16.)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne, I finished re-playing the first part of FoaP. I can confirm that translations work correctly (at least the Italian translation, that I used), and I can tell you that Baldres and Ishlars are funny as usual (well, at least from a player's point of view... meeting them in real life would be an unpleasant experience, sure). I personally really appreciate the scene in Capturing Dorest, when the Cannon (or should I call it Ishlars' Portable Volcano? Or Ishlars' Iron Dragon? :P ) breaks down.
I also found a problem (I'm not sure if it's a bug with your campaign, or an engine bug; but I have similar problems in TSoG, so your confirmation will be useful): the replay of Time to Leave scenario is corrupted, and starts to being corrupted from when you use the {TRANSFORM_UNIT id=Ishlars (Mage Rider)} macro. I'm attaching it - but I suspect that it's an engine bug.
Attachments
Foap-Tempo_di_Partire_replay.gz
(15.64 KiB) Downloaded 1178 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thanks for re-playing, Elvish_Hunter.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:I can confirm that translations work correctly (at least the Italian translation, that I used)
Glad to hear it. Thanks.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:I can tell you that Baldres and Ishlars are funny as usual (well, at least from a player's point of view... meeting them in real life would be an unpleasant experience, sure). I personally really appreciate the scene in Capturing Dorest, when the Cannon (or should I call it Ishlars' Portable Volcano? Or Ishlars' Iron Dragon? ) breaks down.
Ya-ha! Thank you. I like that part myself, too. The part was coded by mich.:smile:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:I also found a problem (I'm not sure if it's a bug with your campaign, or an engine bug; but I have similar problems in TSoG, so your confirmation will be useful): the replay of Time to Leave scenario is corrupted, and starts to being corrupted from when you use the {TRANSFORM_UNIT id=Ishlars (Mage Rider)} macro. I'm attaching it - but I suspect that it's an engine bug.
Yes, it seems something wrong on the TRANSFORM_UNIT macro on replays. I just tested another scenario which TRANSFORM_UNIT macro is used. (the same result) ADVANCE_UNIT macro seems fine, though.

You can report it to Gna-project with the replay file(s). Or I think Soliton takes care of the macro.

By the way, how was the game balance on EASY? It should be called an intermediate level?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:You can report it to Gna-project with the replay file(s). Or I think Soliton takes care of the macro.
Thanks, I'll send a PM to Soliton about it.
SkyOne wrote:By the way, how was the game balance on EASY? It should be called an intermediate level?
For me, EASY was easy. I gave the sword to Ishlars, because he was the auto-recalled unit with the weakest melee, then I went in the Mysterious Cave and played Capturing Dorest with more than 800 gold (can't remeber the exact amount :whistle: ).
SkyOne wrote:Actually, the part one was not the game when I originally created the campaign. It was just a pre-game storyline. The campaign was supposed to start with 07 Broken Treaty. As you can imagine; however, the pre-game storyline was too long, like more than 10 screens, so I decided to create it as the part one. So it is interesting for me that each of you and Kraus likes the part one more than the part two. We might add 1-3 scenario(s) on the part one in the future, but total 25 scenarios block us to add any scenarios a little bit. (Wasn't it too long, was it?)
I have a suggestion: can you make it so in the Campaign menu will be showed "Fate of a Princess: part 1" and "Fate of a Princess: part 2", like in IftU and TSoG? It's easy to implement, and you'll no longer need to worry about part 1 lenght.
About these three more scenarios, will they involve Gryphons? If yes, I made this recolouring to have a Level 1 Young Gryphon that you, and every other UMC developer, are free to use:Image
Finally, I also noticed that, in Northern Ways, you have this code:
Spoiler:
You may be interested to integrate it with moveto+[filter_vision] events. Some time ago I talked with Anonymissimus about this, and now almost all sighted events in TSoG are integrated this way. In other words, this integration will make the dialogue happen also when a Dwarf or an Elf moves in the vision range of side 1, a bit like the sighted event worked in 1.2. Eventually I also made a NEAREST_UNIT macro, derived from Dead Water's NEAREST_HEX, in case that the dialogue requires a second_unit. Also in Love to Death there are some examples of this integration. Do you want some examples?
The only downside is that Anonymissimus warned me, some time ago, that some moveto+[filter_vision] can lead to corrupt replays :( , and the developers were trying to fix this.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
SkyOne wrote:By the way, how was the game balance on EASY? It should be called an intermediate level?
For me, EASY was easy. I gave the sword to Ishlars, because he was the auto-recalled unit with the weakest melee, then I went in the Mysterious Cave and played Capturing Dorest with more than 800 gold (can't remeber the exact amount :whistle: ).
Oh, that sounds too easy. We might have to adjust something...
But you are not a player who is supposed to play on EASY, are you? :smile:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:I have a suggestion: can you make it so in the Campaign menu will be showed "Fate of a Princess: part 1" and "Fate of a Princess: part 2", like in IftU and TSoG? It's easy to implement, and you'll no longer need to worry about part 1 lenght.
Yes, so is BMR. It has been always in my mind. But I would like all players to know (1)what Baldres is, (2)who originally Gulcyn and Fioniel are, (3)what Täkel is, and (4)how the Greenwood Blade is back to the Greenwood. We should make (2) clearer on the part-1, tough. I think that the most of players do not recognize Fioniel is Gulder's mother in the game.

Hmmm... however, you may be right. I probably should discuss about it with co-workers.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:About these three more scenarios, will they involve Gryphons? If yes, I made this recolouring to have a Level 1 Young Gryphon that you, and every other UMC developer, are free to use:
Nice! I respect how quick you learn the skill of the art work (also, WML). This is an almost mainline quality. (good enough for UMC) From my point of view: you just need to add a base frame (you may have one already?), a shorter beak as young one, and adjusting color of shadow. (making it a bit smaller may be needed, like Young Ogre?) to get the core folder. I will refer how to use this unit on mine, but I think you can post it on Art Contribution Forum. (Maybe, it's better on Art Workshop Forum first?) Gryphon level=1 is acceptable for the core, I think.
A great job.:smile:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Finally, I also noticed that, in Northern Ways, you have this code:
Spoiler:
You may be interested to integrate it with moveto+[filter_vision] events. Some time ago I talked with Anonymissimus about this, and now almost all sighted events in TSoG are integrated this way. In other words, this integration will make the dialogue happen also when a Dwarf or an Elf moves in the vision range of side 1, a bit like the sighted event worked in 1.2.
Yes, especially Jil's speech on the scenario. The problem is that there is also a bug on the [filter_vision] tag. It triggers even the unit is not in the sight on BW. So I am expecting this:
Sapient on WML Workshop Forum wrote:The good news is that both sighted events and filter_vision may get totally fixed this summer by one of the GSoC students when he introduces a route planning system.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Eventually I also made a NEAREST_UNIT macro, derived from Dead Water's NEAREST_HEX, in case that the dialogue requires a second_unit. Also in Love to Death there are some examples of this integration. Do you want some examples?
Oh, sure! I would like to see it. Thanks.:smile:

Grazie, Elvish_Hunter
Have a great weekend.