1.18 Saurian Campaign, Vendraxis Prophecy

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Refumee

Re: Vendraxis Prophecy, 1.16/1.18, Saurian Campaign

Post by Refumee »

Changes are up. With 1.1.12

Knifethrower got a moving animation now. It is not much, but it bugged me.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

More corrections. As usual, I'd suggest using a diff tool to check the changes :)
Attachments
05_Meet_n_greet.cfg
(9.73 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
06_Betrayal.cfg
(18.09 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

bssarkar wrote: March 15th, 2024, 10:04 am More corrections. As usual, I'd suggest using a diff tool to check the changes :)
Thank you! It helps me a lot.

I don't know, what that should mean.
Do you what's the right thing to do? Let's defeat them together.
So I changed it into
Do you know what's the right thing to do? Let's defeat them together.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

oh, I missed the 'know'
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

GOD back in the day I had an idea about a Saurian Campaign... heck I think I also used vendraxis... but this was left unfinished and back... what two computers?

What I'm saying is I haven't touched Wesnoth in years but stumbling across this when hearing about the update the game got... god I'm probably going back to Wesnoth for a bit. I'm looking forward to giving this a shot
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Enjoy :)
Looking forward for your feedback to the story.
Right now it is like that
Spoiler:
If you are interested in saurian campaigns, there are two others that came to my mind.
The Thelian Attack
Xalzars Quest (I always get the name wrong)

Across the Ocean is also a campaign, but full of bugs. Therefore, I'm working right now on it, to port it to 1.18.
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Just finished the campaign, first time every. Loved every minute of it! The new units are REALLY fun and well thought-out. This campagin is a great introduction to them.

The way the saurians speak is fantastic. A simple, natural language, much like one would expect highly intelligent tribal animals to speak. I didn't mind that the "ssss" we normally hear in Saurian-speak was missing, because we spend the whole campaign with them, and they don't hear the accent, so why should we?

The last scenario - I destroyed all of the urns before attacking Vendraxis. Killing Vendraxis didn't finish the level. I had to force with debug. Also, this final level seemed too easy. Not that many enemies and my forces were leveled up. When I broke the third urn, someone said, look he's raising more powerful creatures - but none appeared. I think you can turn the heat up higher on this final level, more enemy gold maybe, living enemies that move faster in swamp than undead, a few more powerful lvl 3's, etc.

Thank you very much for the hard work, I had a lot of fun!
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Otdoy, I'm glad you had fun :)

I'll definitely will change the last fight. I also think it is too easy.

I had the same idea with the "SSSSS" sound. We are saurians, we speak normal. And I thought to myself, how would other species sound like to saurians? I didn't find an answer sadly. Maybe slower, dumber? I need to say that English isn't my first language, therefore I cannot imagine how to do that.

Could you tell me which version of the campaign you played? It will help me to fix the urn problem :)

Right now, I'm working on a new unit type. This will replace the club saurian I think. I'm not sure yet.
Otdoy wrote: March 27th, 2024, 5:37 pm
The last scenario - I destroyed all of the urns before attacking Vendraxis. Killing Vendraxis didn't finish the level. I had to force with debug. Also, this final level seemed too easy. Not that many enemies and my forces were leveled up. When I broke the third urn, someone said, look he's raising more powerful creatures - but none appeared. I think you can turn the heat up higher on this final level, more enemy gold maybe, living enemies that move faster in swamp than undead, a few more powerful lvl 3's, etc.
Could you tell me which version of the campaign you played? It will help me to fix the urn problem :)
I tried it on 1.18. It works for me. Did you also kill every last undead on the map? Maybe, I should change the objective, after Vendraxis died.
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

Yes, sorry, I was playing in the new BfW 1.18. The campaign is your latest version, 1.1.17.
Yes, there were still a few other undead around when I killed Vendraxis. Sorry, I just deleted the save. :(
I need to say that English isn't my first language
This explains the simple, straightforward speech :D which I think achieves the perfect effect for this campaign.
If you were to do a human campaign with royalty you might need a language helper :lol:

Thanks again! And sorry to not have more clues for the bug.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Otdoy wrote: March 28th, 2024, 2:04 am Yes, sorry, I was playing in the new BfW 1.18. The campaign is your latest version, 1.1.17.
Yes, there were still a few other undead around when I killed Vendraxis. Sorry, I just deleted the save. :(
That explains everything. You just to need to defeat all the undeads in the area.
I adjusted the mission objective for the next update.

I still need to think about to increase the difficulty without spaming a alot.
I added the red player for vendraxis in the past, because it was to easy. Maybe I need more.
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

I added the red player for vendraxis in the past, because it was to easy. Maybe I need more.
Yes, or give him more gold.

Another possibility might be to reduce the impact of the Golden saurians? This ally was a bit confusing to me. Units with healing + 60% protection on most terrain + blasting light-beams is just crazy powerful. As a Chaotic race, I thought of saurians as having arcane skills at most? This group also made the finish of the previous scenario quite easy. It might be worth it to nerf them for balance. Like, maybe limit their group to a fixed size? I like the hero paladin, with his arcane spear, he's very cool. The scorpion riders were inexpensive, so spamming them gave me a lot (too many?) front-line brutes that the enemy seemed unable to kill. I like the lore, where the Golden saurians appear for a little, then leave at the end. A small and mysterious group, with a sad but heroic destiny. It might be worth limiting this group to a small quantity only.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Otdoy wrote: March 28th, 2024, 12:12 pm
Yes, or give him more gold.

Another possibility might be to reduce the impact of the Golden saurians? This ally was a bit confusing to me. Units with healing + 60% protection on most terrain + blasting light-beams is just crazy powerful. As a Chaotic race, I thought of saurians as having arcane skills at most? This group also made the finish of the previous scenario quite easy. It might be worth it to nerf them for balance. Like, maybe limit their group to a fixed size? I like the hero paladin, with his arcane spear, he's very cool. The scorpion riders were inexpensive, so spamming them gave me a lot (too many?) front-line brutes that the enemy seemed unable to kill. I like the lore, where the Golden saurians appear for a little, then leave at the end. A small and mysterious group, with a sad but heroic destiny. It might be worth limiting this group to a small quantity only.
To get this right.

A small group, means no recruiting and the saurians who will join you are fixed.
Or a small group, who does not own a lot of money and their units are expensive (because the player can recruit them)

About the Paladin. He won't throw any arcane javelins in the next update, but he will get an light beam instead.

I could also add, that they are not good at swamp fighting, cause they are used to desert and rough terrain.

I will reduce the overall gold, that the player will get access to. I believe that the player gets to much gold every scenario.
Otdoy

Post by Otdoy »

A small group, means no recruiting and the saurians who will join you are fixed.
It's just my suggestion, but yes, this may be a way to better balance the last two scenarios and make things more spicy for the player.
I also agree, we get a little too much gold overall.

Best of luck! And thank you for your patience and hard work.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

New version is up.
Did a lot of balance changes and added new units and sprites.

Those for example:
hunter.gif
hunter.gif (45.33 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
hunter-bola.gif
hunter-bola.gif (48.52 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
The lvl 3 version is still in the making.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

Hello, just want to say I enjoyed the campaign so far. Just a suggestion, I find it redundant for the Saurian Seeker Thief to have a smoke bomb attack that poisons when we already have the knife attack. Maybe change it to slows, or a new special that reduces the unit's hit chance? I think it also make more sense that a smoke bomb hinders a unit's movement rather than poisoning them.