Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Runtime Error!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

After designing a map in the editor, I exit the game (1.9.2). I shut down and restart my computer. I start the game again and it seems I cannot run the game and I get the above message. I uninstall and reinstall the game. I try to launch from a shortcut but get the same message. I go directly to the app. and can launch the game. But I've lost all saves, add-ons, and maps in the editor. I check \Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.9 and all is still there. I have never had this problem and have been using 1.9.2 flawlessly since the day it came out. Could somebody tell me what to do?
Max

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Post by Max »

sounds like somethings gone corrupt in your userdata.

you could try to rename the preferences file and cache folder. there's a good chance it will work afterwards.

if it does it would be nice to find out which of them caused the problem and zip and attach the file(s)? (although the cache folder probably is to big to post it here).
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Thank you so much.

The only thing wrong is that all my laurels are missing but I'm fine with that. Thanks.
Max

Post by Max »

did you check which of the files were to blame - it would really be nice if you could post them somewhere. there's a chance this bug can be fixed...
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

It appears to be one of my cache files. I backed up my new cache and place the old in its spot. The game gave me the same message. I renamed my old cache again and brought back the new one. How could I tell which cache file is corrupted?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You can delete the cache without problems, it'll just take a bit longer the next time you start the game.
Restoring your preferences will give you your laurels back.
Kardy

Post by Kardy »

Hey there,

I have the same issue, I get runtime Errors really often.
I deleted the Cache and renamed the preference file, afterwards one game was good, then next game i have the error again.

It occurs regularly on all kinds of maps and different eras so i can´t say what causes it.

Would be really grateful for your help.

Thx
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Stop crying and start investigating. BfW is an open source project which generally require some more effort by the user.
Most devs work on Linux - this naturally results in many bugs which occur on win only.

Get a backtrace and post it.
Compile yourself with MSVC when on win. There's a good chance that that different binary will work better.
Or go the easy way and get ubuntu and use wesnoth's Linux version.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Anonymissimus, while there's truth in what you say, you are being a bit rude — random Windows users (or Linux users even) can't be expected to be tech-savvy enough to know their way through a software debugger or to compile Wesnoth by themselves. There's a reason that I didn't make backtraces mandatory in the forum stickies during my last revision. Please let the mods and developers do their job. We know what we do.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

You're right and my apologies.
I guess I get somehow bored by the reoccuring "MS visual C++ runtime error" - threads that pop up every few weaks - mostly providing little info that could help in finding the cause...

EDIT
To make up for my rudeness above I'll provide you with what I can say about "MS visual C++ runtime error".
The links provided by shadowmaster above tell the most. However, what I found to be the harsh truth is that you either need to learn to live with the bug or need to start working on it yourself. This is especially true for windows-only bugs. The work required to fix a bug is most likely a lot more than the one to report it (dependent on how good a report is). So I wouldn't expect a problem to be fixed if e.g. not reading and following guidelines about reporting bugs.
In this post
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 39#p455539
I wrote some things about how a backtrace can be acquired with one of the official windows releases. (That's also a thread about constant crashes on windows. The guy did a lot and a good report at gna
http://gna.org/bugs/?group=wesnoth
yet it seems unfixed so far.)
Wesnoth is reltively easy (from a developer's point of view) to compile on windows with the MSVC + cmake strategy thanks to Crab's work
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... iew=markup
With that you could provide a backtrace from VS which would make it even more likely that your bug could get fixed (in addition to when you follow the guidelines). That's a whole lot of work however.

Personnaly I choose the hard way and compile wesnoth on win. If I can reproduce a crash I may have a chance to fix it or otherwise I can make a report providing much info I found out until I had to give up. Note that I don't get crashes like that - if I would it might even be fixed already.

That's pretty much all so in future threads I can just link this post. :P
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Olajuvon

Post by Olajuvon »

I got same error, then i go to control panel/programs/uninstall programs. Thear i uninstall all c++ files. After that i reboot machine. When im back windows again i go to control panel/security/check for updates and download all important c++ files. After that i have played 5 games on internet and not crash. Normally i got maximum 2 games and it crashed.

Hello: Olli

Ps. i hope this is the solution to problem.
Kardy

Post by Kardy »

@Anonymissimus
It´s okay, I understand you were upset because all people are just crying, but I am no tecchie and theres no error number or anything to check on the net.

@ all

I delete the cache folder before i launch wensoth now (so just delete the "old files") and then start the game, since I do that, there has been no Error, so the problem is probably caused by something in the cache.

Maybe this helps some of you, if u have problems with that error :-)