Automatic new version deleted everything i achieved in the game

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Abendlander

Automatic new version deleted everything i achieved in the game

Post by Abendlander »

Hello,
I play the game on steam, and therefore i got the update to version 1.18 automatically. Now I have problems because its like i got another version of the game and not just an update. It is possible for me to load the campaign i played in the old version, when switching to version 1.16 in the window "Load Game". But when i go to campaigns it does not show me that i played any campaign before. Its like I deleted the game and installed it new, everything I achieved and every campaign I already finished is lost. If I want to get the frame for the campaign, showing that i already finished it, i would have to play it again. Every add-on I downloaded and played is gone.
Is this normal for every new version? Is there any possibility to go back to the old version I had before yesterday, or get back the frames for the campaigns?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Automatic new version deleted everything i achieved in the game

Post by Pentarctagon »

Abendlander wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 6:41 pm Hello,
I play the game on steam, and therefore i got the update to version 1.18 automatically. Now I have problems because its like i got another version of the game and not just an update. It is possible for me to load the campaign i played in the old version, when switching to version 1.16 in the window "Load Game". But when i go to campaigns it does not show me that i played any campaign before. Its like I deleted the game and installed it new, everything I achieved and every campaign I already finished is lost. If I want to get the frame for the campaign, showing that i already finished it, i would have to play it again. Every add-on I downloaded and played is gone.
Is this normal for every new version? Is there any possibility to go back to the old version I had before yesterday, or get back the frames for the campaigns?
The 1.16 and 1.18 data is stored separately which is why they aren't shown, but they do definitely still exist.

What happens is that when Wesnoth 1.18 launched the first time, it checks whether a specific folder already exists or not, and if not it will prompt you for whether you want to import your preferences (has campaign completions etc in it) as well as download any add-ons you had installed for 1.16 that have been ported to 1.18 already. However it turns out that Steam is automatically creates the folder it's checking on launch, so it always exists by the time Wesnoth checks it, so the migration prompt is never shown.

You can move the preferences file from 1.16 to 1.18 manually to get the campaign completion laurels back and then manually redownload add-ons, or wait a bit until a fix is pushed, delete the userdata folder, and then restart Wesnoth to get the normal migration prompt.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
egallager

Post by egallager »

Having issue #7936 fixed would be useful for cases like this.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The fix has been pushed - if you delete the logs folder and restart Wesnoth, you'll get the migration prompt now.
Abendlander

Post by Abendlander »

Thanks, for the fast reply/help!
Issacharian

Post by Issacharian »

Pentarctagon wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 12:08 am
The fix has been pushed - if you delete the logs folder and restart Wesnoth, you'll get the migration prompt now.
Can you inform me where that file is so I can do this too?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Open Wesnoth -> click the "i" button on the lower left corner -> open the "User data" folder -> delete the "logs" folder -> restart Wesnoth.
Issacharian

Post by Issacharian »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:35 pm Open Wesnoth -> click the "i" button on the lower left corner -> open the "User data" folder -> delete the "logs" folder -> restart Wesnoth.
That worked! Thanks! I have another issue with Delfador's memoirs not moving on properly to the Prince of Wesnoth scenario. Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do? I have reloaded different saves a number of times and it always gets stuck at the same spot.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The best thing to do would be to open an issue at https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues
Issacharian

Post by Issacharian »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 9th, 2024, 5:40 am The best thing to do would be to open an issue at https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues
Ok, will do, thanks!