Very strange problem with many add ons.Please try to help

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
wtf_is_this

Very strange problem with many add ons.Please try to help

Post by wtf_is_this »

Ok guys thats the story:

Today,somewhere at lunch-time i played wesnoth,i got my add ons AE and Conquest- installed,i play them evry day since many months.Then i got small ban for leaving one and same game 2 times(i m not proud with it).Now i joined lobbby after the 4h was over and i tryed to play.Well i hosted game for a friend(on conquest-) or at least i tried to.I relized that the 15-20 maps from the add on wherent at my map list,but scenarios like Unlimited Grosibil i got twice and orocia maps where stillthere.BUT AE AND CONQUEST- wherent in my map/era list and i m not allowed to play games with AE,cos its writen to me'unknown era'.I checked my add ons and found both of AE and Conquest minus are still there.Any ideas what has happened?i havent deleted anything from my PC.SRY if u havent understood me,my Engish isnt good.Things u havent understood can ask me to repeat.

Also AE=Ageless Era

Evry kind of help will be reallly apricated

EDIT I m using 1.8.6 version of wesnoth
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Very strange problem with many add ons.Please try to hel

Post by Gambit »

You might try removing all your add-ons and reinstalling.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

I think this problem has something common with "too much WML".

I was never able to have installed all Conquest versions and the Ageless Era simultaneously on 1.8, and I remember a similar problem with 1.6 when I had many addons installed (but different ones).
I got these problems:
  • the bottom end of the lobby list of maps was cut away
  • Wesnoth became slower (at least the addons)
Gambit's recommendation didn't work, i reinstalled, but anytime I had "too many addons" the problem occured again.
So I uninstalled the Ageless Era (35MB), and replaced it by a tiny version (600 KB) that is enough for Conquest: you can download it from the Conquest Minus thread (the link is in my signature)
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

One trick how to solve the problem is to split your Wesnoth data into more folders:

I run several different instances of Wesnoth like this:

Code: Select all

"E:\Games\Battle for Wesnoth 1.9.13\wesnoth.exe" --config-dir  "e:/Data/wesnoth/BfW1.9_2nd_folder/"
"E:\Games\Battle for Wesnoth 1.9.13\wesnoth.exe" --config-dir  "e:/Data/wesnoth/BfW1.9_3rd_folder/"
Of course I had to copy my Wesnoth data folder into 'BfW1.9_2nd_folder' (then I deleted some addons from BfW1.9_2nd_folder/data/add-ons/ )

You can get details about the command mode if you run Wesnoth with the parameter --help , then look in the file stdout.txt. Anyway I attached the file:
Attachments
stdout.txt
(8.35 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

SlowThinker wrote:I think this problem has something common with "too much WML".
Have too much WML? Try the following!
  • Delete the cache. Read this post by SXC. Delete (or move away) the entire userdata/cache folder. (Where is userdata?)
  • Increase the memory limit. I recommend at least 2 gigabytes for Wesnoth. This depends on your operating system. For Linux and Unix clones, the command ulimit -d should show at least 2097512 kilobytes. For OpenBSD, I increase the ulimit -d number by editing /etc/login.conf. For other Unix clones, I have no idea how to increase the ulimit -d number. For Windows, I have no idea what to do.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

How often should the cache be deleted, how fast does it grow?

So the problem "too much WML" doesn't exist and it is "too large cache"? If I always clear the cache then the amount of WML is not important?